Nap500

I know the feeling, after powering up my new to me 500 on Saturday I’m finding it hard to pull away

4 Likes

Room climate adaption phase. T-minus 1h.

25 Likes

Wow that looks immense :sunglasses:

But how does is sound… :thinking:

1 Like

I’ll get back when I picked myself up from the floor and finished todays work…! :fire:

It’s alive.

24 Likes

Looks great - just need to update your details ?!

Few hours of playtime and a short update on what this music recreation instrument is compared to 300DR. At first you realise they are close relatives. Nothing dramatic but shortly after you start to realise what is going on. 300DR is and will always be a super great amp at its price. But…

The 500 (non DR) adds authority in the lower frequencies. It digs deeper, it adds punch and size. It brings out details I’ve never heard in my system before. Still relaxing and effortless with lots of headroom combined with loads of PRaT. Strange mix but so true.

The mids are more beautiful and adds some sweetness which I like a lot. Never tough for the ears.

The highs might be pretty close to 300DR but bit less stress on the ears.

What in my opinion is the biggest difference is not levels of bass, mids or such. It is the added realism. If you have made a move to 552 you know what I mean. Sometimes I think about “tone” or, the lack of tone maybe is more correct. What I look for is how scary real instruments and voices sound. How it grips your attention and feel so real. The 552 and 500 re-create instruments and voices like no other naim product I have owned in the past. Period. It’s more “analogue” than anything I have owned in the past from naim which makes listening so easy and joyful. It feels like the hunt is over. It does. I’ve said it so many times in the past but this time around I honestly feel at home.

This is just after few hours of playtime and I’ve read many claiming it grows day to day for a week or more. Looking forward to the coming weeks.

And oh, it’s a majestic pcs of hardware to lay eyes on :green_heart: :black_heart:

26 Likes

That’s a beast!! :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! It’s been mine for 6h now :smile: Priorities!

3 Likes

@Mark63 Indeed is! A beautiful beast :slightly_smiling_face: A bit like how it plays. It can be discrete and laid back if you want or kick *** throwing drumsticks at your face :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Nice write up. Give it a couple of days it will really come on song, very impressive at first power up, immense after a couple of days.

4 Likes

Very eloquently put and couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said

Enjoy :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It will keep on improving for months and months, in my experience.

I really need to stop reading these 500 series threads! :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

Hi Slamdam,

That’s a fantastic write up. It makes me want to buy a 552DR and non DR 500. I am waiting until July now! Like I said before will start with 552DR and save up for a 500.

I am so pleased for you on every level.

The set up looks absolutely awesome and I think having it on top of the Brain stack for now is a nice statement piece as you have just bought it.

Maybe in time it will drop down to the bottom shelf when you have some longer legs. Or simply leave it as it is.

Many congratulations on your 500.

7 Likes

Thanks @Dan_M :slight_smile: It sounds even better today than day 1. I can really hear the synergy between 552/500. I would if doing it all over again start with 552 and later add 500 as you plan :+1: The tall legs is like 225 EUR so no biggie but as said I want to lay my eyes on it every second of playtime right now so it stays on top :partying_face:

5 Likes

Until you get the tall legs, it may be worth trying to swap the 555 and 552 around to get the latter further away from the 500.

Congratulations!!

NAP500 unsung hero…or summit like that…NAP500…summit, I like that :joy:

2 Likes

This is the current stacking order. All burndy airborne. You mean 500ps is worse for the 552ps than the 555ps? I believe the 555 burndy would hit the floor then.

500 - 555PSDR
552 - 552PS
NDX2 - 500PS

I won’t do any changes for now though :blush:

2 Likes

I was actually thinking of the head units, but apparently it also applies to the power supplies (though I took that for granted and never actually “auditioned” the difference). That said, arranging things so the burndies hang loose is also important.

2 Likes

Ah maybe you thought it is an ND555 :slight_smile: It’s an NDX2. And, I’m out of hifi cash so don’t say a word of it not being good enough :smile: Will be in music and wine mode for coming months and let go of thoughts on hardware, stacking etc. Will squeeze a Sarum T DIN DIN into it next week and then just enjoy :slight_smile:

6 Likes