Nap500

Still don’t get it :see_no_evil:

OK, I’ll add my bit…. I also now have 606’s and had been using a 552DR with a 300.

Before the 500DR was launched, I took my 300 to my dealer and compared it to a 300DR and 500 and although the 500 was better than the 300, the 300DR was quite something - lithe, expressive and incredibly musical. I ended up getting my 300 upgraded. Roll forward a few years and I had the opportunity to try a 500DR at home and it took 5 seconds for me to decide to make the move.

If my end game was either 300DR or 500, I’m not sure if I’d go with the latter, particularly given that the 606’s were designed using a 300DR.

Sorry to add to the confusion. :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s very easy :blush:. A 500 is always a 500 and no matter what the configuration it will always have a bigger band width and is always the most powerful Naim amp.

It’s simply better :blush:

7 Likes

No that’s actually very helpful Dave. A 500DR isn’t happening, not for many years to come anyway. So it’s a straight shoot out between the 300DR and 500.

More than one nap 300 dr its a two way speaker……still preferred just one 500 dr. With the active you needed the external crossover and i think they used a supercap to power the crossover
plus extra superlumina cabling. A tough choice, but sound wise I liked the 500.

1 Like

Ha ha just as I was leaning towards the 300DR I get wrenched the other way :smiley:

Not having done a comparison, I’d tend towards having everything at DR for synergy, so the 300DR. That’s my engineering design perspective, much like having synergy with cables.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi Stu, I can’t help thinking and as there is no prospect of DRing the 500 :face_holding_back_tears:, that I’d possibly go 300DR for the sake of The DR aspect only= less hifi more music. ATB Peter

5 Likes

I’m beginning to think there isn’t a wrong answer here. Just two right ones :blush:

2 Likes

Is a 500 DR really THAT good?

Oh boy what am I saying :scream_cat:

2 Likes

YES :rofl: and oh yes!

3 Likes

I made the move from 300 to 500 non DR years ago. When I heard the 500 first in my room, I got emotional, it was so much more to the already fantastic 300…., never looked back. Now I do belief the 300DR is even more accomplished than the non DR - but still the reach of sound of a 500 is so special that I wouldn’t even sleep over. The only thing to consider is that the 500 could be the end point as Naim have been suspending the DR upgrade (which I still hate them for).

3 Likes

Stu, how are your kidneys and could you manage with one? :thinking: Best Peter

3 Likes

Was the end of DR upgrades communicated as never again or as a temporary solution due to component shortage?

It was not crystal clear………but not encouraging.

That boat has already sailed Peter.

How do you think I funded my 552…

2 Likes

Stu, you have to be honest and ask yourself are you sufficiently immune to the upgradeitis virus? It’s a persistent, horrible little bug that some folks are just not capable of shaking off. As Dave rightly commented earlier, your speakers were developed being fed by a 300DR and, provided your room isn’t a hugely challenging shape or volume, it should make for a fantastic synergy and come with a great warranty. And many, many folks would be delighted to have this and look no further.

Several on this forum can’t help but look beyond, whether it be from 252 (brilliant pre) to 552; or 300 to 500; or 500 to 500DR; perhaps to the point of not properly enjoying what they currently have! I’d strongly suggest having a good think about your likely decision making history and also what your middle to longer term comfort with spending more on upgrades is likely to be. You may also need to factor in servicing costs irrespective of DR’ing, depending on the history of the 500 you are considering. Or you could just accept that PB has cut through the fog and provided the answer!!

Peter

4 Likes

I have put it in the simplest terms and you all know I am right.

I will put money on it now that Stu will own a 500 at some point, just ask @dave-marshall as resistance is futile :blush:

4 Likes

For some reason it completely escaped me, that Naim has stopped DRing non-DR gear……Gosh!
As suggested previously I’d stick with a 300 DR then. Still a great amp :clap:t2: Peter

4 Likes

I believe Naim have suspended DRing while parts are not available. It’s highly likely they will resume when the parts shortage ends.

4 Likes