Nap500

Unless naim once again start up the dr upgrade, then i would go 300dr or wait till i could afford a 500dr.
I would want any 500 non dr at a very cheap price, less than a secondhand 300dr if i was to even think about getting one, as the dr upgrade and service was about £6k wasn’t it, when it was available and probably be more now if they bring it back.
The 300dr is a great amp that works great with your speakers as you know, so i wouldn’t go looking to fix a problem you dont have

3 Likes

Oh yes, the choice, moving on from 300DR, was between ATC 100 actives and 500DR … … … no contest, as confidently predicted by Señor Bear.

3 Likes

That’s quite thought provoking Peter. I re-started just a few years ago with a 272 rigged up to my old Technics amp that family life had sent packing to the garage many years ago. OK it wasn’t just any old Technics amp, it was quite special by their standards and bought when I had freedom of choice, which I have again now. I guess it kinda hints at the direction of travel.

I hope it’s not sacrilege posting this on a Naim forum :grimacing:

I believe it weighs more than a 500 too so that’s some going

5 Likes

I started with Technics too, no buttons on the 300 and 500 to play with, just relax.

It never left source direct mode :wink:

2 Likes

Correct Richard - however the resistor lift applies to the gain resistors, the green wirewound output resistors have always been raised in all Naim power amps for heat dissipation.
Generally, NAP500 logos are only replaced during a service if they are suffering “bleed”,
The DR upgrades normally had them replaced, as the unit was stripped right down.

Logo replacement has always been a tough call in my mind, as there is a risk the unit will no longer match the rest of the customer’s system!

Regards
Neil.

6 Likes

It’s not an easy choice at all Stu. Any way you can audition?

I’ve not heard a 300 DR, but the 500 is something special - a bit mellower/warmer and with less microdetails in pre-DR version but still very special, with a beguiling delicacy, especially in the midrange…

1 Like

Auditioning isn’t an option unfortunately.

And the conclusion is…

I think I need a lie down :no_mouth:

1 Like

It’s a 500, you know you’re going to get one :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have mine in a middle size level, no problem

1 Like

Bugger it I’d buy both. :grin:

7 Likes

Not sure if I can offer any more insight but I have owned both an active and passive 135 system. Some will say that 135’s and non-DR’d 300 are a close choice, some preferring the 135’s and some the 300. What I can say is that I found a non-DR’d 500 absolutely obliterated my 135’s (even when active). I used my 500 for maybe 3 years before I eventually succumbed to a serviced and inevitable DR’ing. I agree that Naim probably should have called it a NAP750 as the changes brought about by the DR’ing are pretty significant. However, I could still quite happily live with a non-DR’d 500 knowing that I had one of the best amps on the market.

5 Likes

I sold my 300DR for a 500 non DR. No regrets at all even if the logo was not changed when it was serviced in Nov 2016. Nine years until the next service and DR! I think the DR may help more if the mains us crap.

Phil

1 Like

On one of the 500’s I’m looking at Naim have a record of the head unit being serviced late 2013 but no record for the PS which seems odd. I’ve obtained a copy of the job sheet and I’m wondering if both units were serviced but only recorded against the head unit serial. I wondered if anyone could tell me from the parts list if both units were serviced in which case I think it would be fine unserviced for another 2.5 years. Many thanks

The comment “all parts removed from 500 & 500ps returned to customer” has made me wonder.

1 Like

Also dealer has been over the units with a fine tooth comb and found what they describe as two tiny marks. Now I’m pretty fussy but I think I could live with them, especially given the 2001 vintage. Otherwise they look pristine. I can look them over personally at the weekend. Maybe a dab of marker pen is all that’s needed…? Am I being too fussy worrying about them?

I would say no looking at that as the power supply has 12 big ct02 capacitors

Not the news I was hoping for but thanks all the same Dunc

You can always remove the case and look as each capacitor has a date on them so easy to see how old they are, like 14 29. This means 2014 and 29th week

My 500 was DRed and unfortunately the power supply was not serviced at the same time. But i got the main caps changed in mine, as there’s not much inside it really

One of the big caps, and you will see the date as said, this is mine before new caps went in (date 13 29)

3 Likes

That’s very easy to check now thank you!

No problem