NAPSC and NAC202

I found it made a really worthwhile difference to my 102 - to the point where I’d advise adding an NAPSC before thinking about a HiCap. If buying a used one do pay the extra for the later version (2) as it’s noticeably better than the early version IMO.

1 Like

Which is why Naim call it Upgrade 1.

2 Likes

Same here I didn’t notice any difference when the napsc was connected so I would spend funds elsewhere

1 Like

It’s odd how we all hear things differently. I’ve owned both a 102 and a 202 and wouldn’t want either without a Napsc. They just don’t sound very natural without one. To me anyway.

On the last Naim price list I have (Sept20), the NAPSC was listed at £399-00. Which in NaimWorld is not a lot of money.

Why would you not have one…?

YMMV, obviously…

Yes. Natural. That’s the word.

I’d imagine it to improve dynamics? Is that how you would describe it?

Been a long long time since I disconnected my NAPSC as the difference was so clear cut. Been a long long time since the demo which persuaded me to purchase. My recall though is that I was unimpressed by bare 202/200 until the NAPSC was added. It then sounded right. There was a reduction on graininess and the noise floor.

Yes.

Maybe just a typo but the Hicap powers the 202 preamp, not the 200.

Oops! Yes just a typo

Personally, I don’t recall improved dynamics when adding the NAPSC but rather a clearer and more natural sound (as others have said). Just more “right” somehow . Really a no-brainer upgrade IMO.

I recently saw a 202 for sale with a flat cap x2 ps. Is this a good combo? What does this power supply do? All these different power supply options can be quite difficult to wrap your head round for the newcomer to separates.

No, it’s not a good combination. For the 202 you want a Hicap DR and a Napsc. The Flatcap isn’t really good enough.

Thankyou. I had a google what’s inside one and it appears that there is not that much! The flat cap x2 that is.

The Flatcap works very nicely with the preamp it was designed to power, such as the NaitXS or 152. For your 202 you want a Hicap though. The two PSUs both do essentially the same thing, they power the preamp.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.