NAS backups

Music is on usb drive attached to my Roon server.
Backed up to NAS every night
This backed up to cloud and another USB disk once a week.
All done via QNAPs hybrid backup sync and automated.

1 Like

@johns
Its been a while but I recall that the included software comes with a backup program and I simply followed instructions to create a “job” to back-up weekly to the external USB drive bought separately.
Hopefully others on the forum can elaborate more precisely.

2 drive NAS with RAID

In another building (same network) an additional NAS.

On my Kann portable the whole collection on high capacity SD cards.

Bruce

I use a multi tier backup strategy for all my data including my music.

NAS -> another NAS which is offsite (failover capability)
NAS -> cloud storage (ransomware / corruption protection as incremental)
NAS -> external usb HD (fallback if all network capabilties fail)

Some think I am paranoid but I would hate to lose all that hard work ripping music, movies, editing photos, my businezs data, etc.

It does take some IT knowledge to set it all up though.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the Backblaze Windows application, it won’t backup a NAS directly, which is why I use SyncToy to copy the contents of my NAS to a USB drive connected to my PC, which the Backblaze Windows application will back up.

Separately to this (and charged on a usage basis outside of the standard $50 (I think) Backblaze annual fee) I use the Hybrid Backup Sync application on my QNAP to back up to Backblaze cloud storage. Instructions here: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/qnap-nas-backup-to-cloud/

1 Like

I use ChronoSync on my Mac.

1 Like

Brilliant, Thank you!

Useful to know. At the moment my ‘cloud’ is the office (backup from home to work each night) but if that ever ceases then Backblaze looks a good idea… assuming the company is still around then.

Re. from a NAS… my NAS is a Windows NUC so that’s easy to do.

Must try this … it’s taken two days to upgrade my 412 to 3 TB in all drives, now have a second 2-bay Qnap just for music, and will be setting up a third for an off site backup.

Main working Nas to 2 other Nas drives and also a copy to a separate Hdd on my PC. In total I have 4 copies of everything.
All backups done using Syncback in Windows.

1 Like

Good idea … forgot about having a copy of my Mac, could probably fit one on my laptop too … if only it wasn’t so old!

Mind you it’s not neeed for work anymore so there should be plenty of room

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.