National Theatre plays on YouTube

For those of us in need of home entertainment (ie all of us) the National Theatre are going to stream recordings of some of their best plays at 1900 on YouTube every Thursday. This coming week is ‘One Man, Two Guvnors’ with James Corden. If you haven’t seen it, it is absolutely brilliant. Other plays being streamed in April are Jane Eyre, Treasure Island and Twelfth Night

2 Likes

Watched this last night and thought James Corden was superb in the title role. It works in two ways: It’s a hilarious modern (well, 1963) farce but the 18th century Commedia del Arte play on which it’s based shows through in many ways. So it’s all rather knowing, which adds to the fun.

Very strongly recommended.

Roger

1 Like

I’ve been fortunate to see it a number of times live and this NT Live showing via YouTube.

I watched it when it was released 7pm last Thursday, but I was a little disappointed by the stream quality, especially some of the motion.

However the following day I started to watch it again and there were no issues with stream quality.

So when this weeks Jane Eyre is shown, I will mots probably wait a day or two before watching.

We watched this last night and really enjoyed it. The quality really surprised me.

I hope it’s ok to mention a play that is not from the National Theatre - Chichester Festival Theatre staged Flowers for Mrs Harris a couple of years ago and are making a recording available on their website from 9 April for a month. It’s a wonderfully uplifting play that focuses on human kindness. I remember a performance being recorded and talking to the camera guys in the break, and have a feeling it was this performance. Anyway, it’s a great play and we’ll certainly be watching it again.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - will give it a go

Guardian have highlighted this play in an article today of arts available for streaming

Thanks, I’ll have a look.

I re-watched ‘One Man, Two Guvnors’ on the NT stream last night and it is just as brilliant as I remembered. The recording certainly does it justice If anyone hasn’t seen it, I can’t recommend highly enough. It will be available until this Thursday when it will be replaced by Jane Eyre

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.