Native FLAC via iRadio?

I’ve a ND5XS and a Muso Qb and I’m not familiar with other Naim products.
It’s exactly the same as adding any other custom radio station in vTuner.
As soon as I’ve done this, the added station shows up in the app under iRadio - Added Stations.

1 Like

Hi @Kurt, I think it is absolutely brilliant that you are sharing your brilliant work, but just to be clear for everyone, as I understand it you are using your own Cloud server to produce the conversion, so of course should you ever stop having that Cloud service, the links will no longer not work. Also of course if hundreds of people start to use that service such that it affects functionality, then of course you are not committing yourself to having to resolve that issue. In other words you probably need a Big Disclaimer to stop being harassed too much down the line.

Maybe Naim Audio would be interested in the project. I see that Steve Harris,
Software Director is aware of the work that Kurt Lefevre has done so far.

3 Likes

Aha, found it at the second attempt!

My N272 has been refusing to connect to the Naim app (another story), so I’m limited to navigating via the front panel. It took me a few clicks to find ‘added stations’.

Despite much faffing around, I never managed to get the RP FLAC streams working properly with Minimserver, so this is a fantastic alternative. Thanks again!

That’s correct! Thanks for pointing out.

I hope(d) this should be clear to everyone. As mentioned already, I started this out of one of my passions, being music and software development.

This is running on a free Oracle Cloud account every one of us can get. Of course, if for one or another reason I lose my account, or something else goes wrong,
this may disappear.

Also mentioned is the fact that I started this only a couple of weeks ago in my spare time as a 0 cost workaround to get (mainly) Naim Jazz in FLAC/WAV on my Gen 1 Naim devices. So, likely it will not play all hires streams out there.

I do not have any commercial goal with this. As soon as I get FLAC working I’ll document everything (incl source code) and put it on GitHub so everyone can have it, improve it, whatever.

The application is written in Java, making it extremely portable. Personally I run it on a Raspberry PI at home.

So “I do not guarantee any proper functioning of this, nor do I guarantee availability”

3 Likes

I installed VLC and I can see the streaming stats for Naim Jazz as 1411k but my NDX still shows only 128k WAV when playing. Am I missing something?

Steve gave me some great hints dealing with the FLAC part.

Obviously, technology is evolving fast, which is also one of the reasons why naim introduced the gen2 products.

Naim could(?) update the streamer firmware of older devices so it can deal with Ogg envelopes for example. But there’s more than that. For example also potential challenges like buffering, processing speed may show up.

Next to that, working myself for one of the biggest US software companies, maintaining earlier devices, backports of software is very costly for a shrinking group of customers (as people buy new devices). Just my 2(€)c

No, the 128k is the metadata embedded in the orginal stream. As I don’t touch/alter the stream contents, that’s what gets displayed in the app. Not sure, but I don’t think I’m legally allowed to modify stream contents.

VLC does an analysis of the bitstream and reports the real infomation. So, the 1411 kbit/s is real (as for all 16 bit 44.1 kHz WAV streams)

The Intense Radio link for example streams 24 bit, giving a higher number.

Whatever the outcome it’s a fascinating piece of work. Well done and thanks for sharing👍

Is this something I can do with my 272? If so, I have minimserver working properly so would this be a better alternative?

What does minim server do? I am not familiar with it.

I’m a little out of my depth with these things but it’s generally a dlna server app installed on a NAS that has a streaming function that allows the use of a .m3u file to stream radio stations (FLAC) and it works with the Naim app. If the option in the OP allows native FLAC radio station streaming through the Naim app I’d be interested.

You actually need minimstreamer as part of minimserver. If you’ve already minimstreamer running, than this can handle it as well.

Yeah minimstreamer is part of minimserver and it works without a hitch so far. I just add the FLAC urls to my m3u file and voila.

is minimstreamer free?

Historically it was and minimserver (now minimserver 2) still is but the new streamer part requires a license purchase iirc. I don’t recall it being very expensive though.

‘Kurtserver’ is running perfectly on my 272. My Gen 1 streamer is now Gen 1.5 :grimacing:

My attempts to stream RP FLAC etc via Minimserver were less successful (either frequent dropouts or no connection at all).

Spent many fruitless hours fiddling around with Minim. Kurt’s solution is much simpler.

Well Minim was no problem for me and works flawlessly with my m3u file. I’d try this out if I understood how to do it. :smiley:

The fact I got it working proves it’s a piece of cake!

Go to naim .vtuner .com, either log in or create an account with your streamer’s MAC address, then add your station URL as listed in post #7 above.

Oh no it isn’t, oh yes it is (not)
As I’ve already posted, I have an account, it remembers my MAC address & email, but my password is a problem, I only use one PW for Naim but its not recognised by naim.vtuner, I’ve tried all likely others, but no luck.
Added grrrr is the ‘Forgot Password’ call back isn’t responding … GRRRR
I’ve fiddled around to clear it & start over, nah nuffink doin’
If anyone has any suggestions … thanks