NBL vs SBL in 500 level system

Yes they are good at low volume. I used to listen between 8 and 9 and for low level between 7 and 8.

@MichaelF thanks for that info. Great. Looking forward to giving them a try! The SBL’s sound so life like and big right now I have no idea what to expect!!!

So today is the day I pick up the NBL’s complete with freshly serviced crossovers! They are going to be a bit bigger than expected initially but I am sure they will look ok! They are in the black zebrano colour which I have never seen in the flesh, or really online! So few pics exist online of this colour. The history and condition were the key factors for choosing these ones not the colour! Anyway I am really keen to see what they sound like but as with all serviced Naim equipment I guess I have a burn in period to contest with first before they show their true colours! I am hoping (fingers crossed) for an initial uplift vs the SBL’s from the off anyway!

4 Likes

How exciting. It’s so nice to see a thread about NBLs from those times when Naim made speakers. I once had the opportunity to buy the last pair made at the factory, in piano black, but they would be way too big for my room. Judging by the pictures I’m sure they will be fantastic, and the very dark finishes tend to look smaller. You need to give the SBLs a big hug for all the great music they have provided over the years.

3 Likes

I think/ hope you’ll find they sound fantastic. Depending on room shape/ acoustics, you should play around quite a bit with the speaker location to ensure that the full benefits of the isobarik bass drivers is enjoyed. I suspect that it’s the fuller bass sound which will distinguish nibbles from sibbles!

Let us know how you get on with them.

Peter

1 Like

That’s interesting. I didn’t think they were Isobarik, but rather two drivers back to back each in their own small cabinet, but venting into a larger cabinet - like two SBL bass boxes in one cabinet.

1 Like

Hi HH,
Your understanding is spot on, at least for the pair of NBLs in our family!

Best regards, BF

Always fancied trying a pair of NBLs but my room is probably too small. Good luck and please post your thoughts and maybe a picture once you are up and running.

My bad! I’m sure I saw reference to this terminology with nibbles before and just accepted that’s what back to back bass drivers represented! You can see why I was looking for a cold towel during the naim factory visit when they tried explaining the new range of streamers…!!

Peter

Please don’t think I was correcting you, I was simply a bit confused. Which happens easily.

Steve,

I reckon we met briefly this morning whilst I was picking up some extra Fraimlite levels!

Hope you got the NBL’s home ok; I would think that anytime soon you will be in for a real treat, especially now Naim have worked their magic on them… enjoy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe Naim should make speakers again

But please this time at reasonable prices. Proac do it, so why not Naim?

1 Like

The problem is that hardly anyone bought them when they were made. The took up 25% of the factory and delivered 3% of the profit. It’s even been said that the SL2 actually lost money but whether that’s true or not I don’t know.

fair enough… I guess…

I’d still love to see them make speakers again. Proper Naim speakers, not something like Ovators.

7 Likes

I would also like Naim to do their own speakers. But with Statement amps taking that space, unlikely to happen. Perhaps a Naim design could be produced by Focal.
Long term a new location in the locale , would be on my radar if i had a magic wand, with more options to expand, but keep the team together.

I think it`s against Focal polici

1 Like

I think the allaes speaker and prices are being missed

Allaes: One of the best looking Naim Speakers, bargain on the used market, very capable speaker that can be placed with the humble UQ and all the way up to a 500 setup.

2 Likes

No problem Nigel - it’s good to discover that I have been carrying around a myth in my head all these years!!

Peter