NBL vs SBL in 500 level system

Dodgy memory probably strikes again but I recall there being a major problem with the nibble cabinets which have a lovely curved top - the original cabinet maker either failed or withdrew from supplying cabinets and procurement showed that there would have to be such a major increase in price which the market could not take which put the final nail in these fine coffins!

Peter

I’ve always thought the cabinets were made by Hornslet Moebelfabrik in Denmark. I’ve just looked them up and the company is still running. It may have been someone else entirely but I know for certain that the final iteration of SBLs, with the fully veneered cabinet, was made by them. My SL2s have a curved top, as well as a curved front. The top of the Allae is also curved. These speakers - though not so much the Allaes - have some very clever and not inexpensive engineering. The NBL’s midrange box and its two small internal bass cabinets must have been really hard to make. The SL2’s aluminium interface plates were really expensive and of course it’s hard to get metal dead flat. It’s no wonder that these days so many speakers are just a simple box with a couple of OEM drivers. It’s nice to own a piece of history, even though it’s a piece that hardly anyone is aware of. And of course, they sit against the wall, which is where a speaker should be.

6 Likes

Curious if anyone has moved on from a naim speaker to a Dynaudio one …

I am really looking forward to hearing how these sound and another plug for some pics please!

1 Like

Your memory is fine. It was very difficult to get the quality of veneering right - the curved top being a particular issue at the time. Combined with very limited sales and a price that was getting perilously close to DBLs (a markedly superior speaker in my opinion), I guess the only choice was to pull the plug on them.

I feel a little sorry for the NBL. Although a Phil Ward design rather than one from Roy, they do share with the others the usual Naim traits of not being fully understood in getting the best from them, and with lots of funny moving bits and decoupling (and nested boxes), when all most really want is “plonk and play”.

I found them much the most satisfactory when actively driven - IIRC they were designed active from the start, the passive crossover proving a little tricky to get right, and subject to revision during its life. They are very responsive to toe in as well as distance from side walls - that’s the bottom side mounted bass drivers for you, I guess. However, I never really fell in love with them like I did DBLs, or even SL2s. Maybe I needed to spend a lot more time with them.

I used to work with a guy called Phil Ward. He’s Joel Ward’s dad. Nice man.

Ok! Wow, a lot of NBL discussion which is great! I have them installed, they are MASSIVE! Dominating is a word I would use! I was not expecting them to be quite so deep!! Luckily my other half does not mind! They match the floor pretty well actually!

The set up was relatively easy. I placed them in the same spot as the SBL’s, I moved the SBL’s onto carpet pieces and just slid them into my office, I wanted to preserve the seal having done it recently! The placing is a starting point. The SL cable touches the wall but means I can get to a similar distance from the back wall as I had with the SBL’s.

The cross overs have just been serviced and by the looks of them everything was replaced! Everything looked brand new including the A5 parts and plugs.

The sound is quite something, bigger, more space between instruments, I am hearing parts I have not heard before. Vocals are much clearer and easier to understand. The bass is far fuller without being overpowering. Drums feel and sound like they are in the room. The difference is akin to watching a movie in 4K vs HD. Everything is clearer and more ‘there’. They really are much more impressive than SBL’s however the SBL is still fantastic and I would happily live with them for ever!! The SBL is more home friendly and has 75% of the NBL’s qualities. The NBL sounds almost identical to the SBL in terms of its sonic signature which for me is a massive plus.

Pics will follow, the ocd amongst you will have a fit when you see how they fit into the room though! I am out today with the family at Ikea!!

4 Likes

Hey @Jason yes that would have been me! Good to meet you! They are all hole and set up and playing great music (while I am out at ikea!!) Hope the new levels worked as well as expected!!!

One thing I should say is the sound is more refined and as such they never give the impression of driving hard! For some types of music I found that lack of drive and greater separation of instruments quite eye opening. Pieces of music that were just that before, one piece were suddenly lots of individuals playing together. The emotional connection with the NBL vs SBL will need some time to review however I suspect there will be more connection along with the obvious wow factor they give.

My room is not big at 5x4.5m and they seem to work well in this space and are very far from being too much speaker. They fill the room but NEVER feel overbearing even with really loud full modern recordings.

1 Like

A good player. Wish Pompey still had him.

Steve,

Great to hear you’ve got the NBL’s singing and working well already. You’re well ahead of me; I haven’t started installing the second stack yet, that’s a job I’m hoping to get done tomorrow.

It’s quite a system you’ve got there, the NBL’s must be the icing on the cake… enjoy!

1 Like

I am glad you like them. I agree that they are similar to the SBLs, just better in most respects, but not worse in any way. My first suggestion when you start to experiment with placement is to place them a but further from the back wall. Mine are 28cm while my SBL where probably only about 5cm from the back wall.

Good luck and enjoy.
Hans

1 Like

@HansW thats interesting, 28cm would be maybe too much for me with 2 young beasts, sorry kids but sole more room from the wall will allow the SL cable sole room to breath rather than its current position of being hard against the wall!

@Jason thanks! I upgraded to full 500 this year knowing full well it would come at some point anyway! Might as well not fight it. Statement is a much bigger leap so for me 500 is my end point baring my business really taking off! I would be moving house first though! You saw the size of those boxes! Better to get them installed and the boxes into my parents loft :joy:

As promised some pictures! The first thing I will say is that the front on view makes them look quite small and non dominant. This is a very good example of the camera lying. They are bloody massive! The TV which is centred on the wall now looks even more daft however the NBL’s really do sound great. There is nowhere else in the room for a double rack Fraim so a compromise on aesthetics is being made at the moment!

16 Likes

They look fabulous!

1 Like

did you get the stocking masks?

1 Like

Steve the NBLs look stunning what a lovely finish.

Looks like an interesting Christmas break in your house :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @Yeti yes I did BUT I can’t for the life of me work out how to get them on. I will take some photos but they look a bit sad tbh! Maybe thats correct but the material is attached to a band very loosely and then there is another thick band. I tried to fit one on but it would have looked terrible. I was going to wait until the new year and contact Naim. I would like to get these working though so if you have any tips it would be much appreciated!

I saw a pair once and as you’ve found they are rather deep, to say the least. DBLs May actyy it ally be a better fit…

That veneer looks rather lovely, and a real change from the more usual cherry. I hope you can get the aesthetics resolved as the pictures are now too big and the TV is in the wrong place. All very tricky as I’ve found on many occasions. The main thing is that they work so well.

Steve…I`m interesting to buy a power strip,can you inform me which brand is yours? are they good enough? looks great.