NC 250 vs Ear 534 shoot out

Maybe not, as you are wondering about returning to the EE8 :grin:
I agree however, I get you spend your money on the PhoenixNet and Vodka. But not the Gaia.

A bit influenced by graemeH who went back. I just again read my own impressions when I switched the switch.
No - I think I will not test the ee8 only to get a bit brighter and faster sound.
And so easy you donā€™t get out ā€¦ the PN is on you and vodka as well as the server which finally happens to be from Portugal :rofl:

Gaia are next!

1 Like

I like that PrimaLuna are Dutch, but I donā€™t like how they look. But I think your EAR 912 looks very good, so good I joked that I would like to own it even if I could only look at it.

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize you have a house. I think your best course of action is a dedicated AC line. Not sure how AC is handled in France. In the UK they have a separate Consumer Box. In the US we have a breaker box that has circuit breakers. Sometimes we may add a smaller Sub Panel off the main box.
In any case the very next thing you should do is Dedicated AC lines. And itā€™s relatively cheap to have done.

1 Like

Yes I think the tube source components DAC & phono pre go very well with Naim amplification. However, I canā€™t actually live without the Naim PRAT.

1 Like

I thought Prima Luna were Chinese. Arenā€™t they made in China , at least ?

I will call an electrician next, but the difficulty is to find a good one. Thereā€™s a lot of crookers.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same situation. Constantly arguing with electricians. They are honestly some of the most difficult people to deal with. Many of the ones Iā€™ve had have done a very poor job and/or have been rude or dismissive

3 Likes

Looks like they are indeed, I hadnā€™t spotted that. But that wouldnā€™t be a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

Perhaps not. Prima Luna seems to have a good reputation. However I remember one member here, who had a Prima Luna pre with a Naim amp but had a lot of reliability issues.
He sold it finally .
Then, some tube pre donā€™t match well with Naim. I had a Conrad Johnson EV1 phono, lol of hiss and hum with a Nac 282.

I would make sure youā€™re able to have a listen before buying blind. I havenā€™t heard their preā€™s but I have heard a number of their integrated amps. I know dealers like to go on about their build quality & the level of parts they use but from what Iā€™ve heard (granted always at a dealers or show), Iā€™ve never been left impressed. Maybe the stock tubes are really holding them back but their sound to me doesnā€™t seem class leading vs price point. My biggest issue is probably in bass control, in that even in their top of the line integrated it still severely lacking in that department. With that being said I havenā€™t heard their newest current generation kit from what I recall, so maybe theyā€™ve made some significant steps forward.

As you know (I think), I have a tube phono and I really like what it does. But perhaps a full pre is indeed different from a phono pre and synergy is always an issue with different components.

1 Like

I tried a tube phono , only phono, from Conrad Johnson. It was a mismatch with the Naim pre.
I remember now that you have a tube phono, I had forgotten. Made in Russia I think to remember.

Ampearl RE-2030, an LCR tube phono amp from Crimea.

1 Like

On one channelā€¦or is it both now?

On one channel with XLR, on both with RCA.

So itā€™s a channel issue. Source or pre-amp or speakers.
Youā€™ve eliminated power amp unless both the Naim and the EAR have the same fault which is possible but unlikely.

Swap your speaker cables over, if the noise moves to the other speaker then that leaves source or pre.

Disconnect your sources, if the noise is still there then itā€™s the pre.

If the noise has gone connect sources one at a time until the noise re-appears.

1 Like

I did find the PN a bit ā€˜blowsyā€™ - Not sure how that translates!

G

I will try another pre. Itā€™s not the source, as itā€™s the same with P10 and Nds.
But how explain that the noises are not constant, sometimes very very tiny, sometimes a bit more ? For example on Saturday the noises are more present between the lunch time, and decrease after 2 pm.

Did you test each source on its own i.e. only one connected at a time?

Thereā€™s a fault with a box somewhere, mains electric wouldnā€™t affect one channel.