Nd 555

surely they must be sounding different for that price gap, but can you reveal some more color on the the differences?

All the White Papers (or at least most all) are available for download from the Naim website under the Support page.

1 Like

There’s tons in an earlier ND555 thread, including this: How good is the ND555? - #96 by Thomas

Thank you Richard!

@Michaelb , to put my question different… if someone offers you to bet 1:1 the difference in price between ND555 and nDAC/555PS (non-DR) with Furutech RCA clear line if you correctly distinguish the two in a blind test 10 out of 10 times, would you accept the bet?

does that mean that you had no direct experience comparing the nDAC with the ND555?

Great test that would be, along with a nds, and why not chuck in a second 555 power supply.
I don’t think you will find anyone willing to do it as any differences are far too close to call, if you can even hear a difference.

2 Likes

From the white paper Q&A “Why S/PDIF optical rather than coaxial?
Coax can sound better but optical has the advantage
that it prevents ground loops and isolates the ground
system of the source, which may be noisy, from that of
the Naim DAC.” @Richard.Dane , this is interesting and relates to our discussion in a different post about creating a ground loops when both nDAC and network streamer are grounded to chases and interconnect with galvanic conductor.

Looks like support is now under “Help” in smaller print near the bottom of the main menu, I thought it had been dropped on a first look at the “upgraded” website.

You can’t compare Nd555 , all in one streamer and dac vs the Ndac, only using a same transport and connecting by SPDIF to the Ndac and Nd555.
There are many threads on Nds vs Nd555 and Ndac vs Nds.
I have not found a person saying that Nds is better vs Nd555. A minority found the difference minimal, a majority significant.
Most also find the Nds , as dac, better than Ndac. A minority prefer the Ndac voicing.
Some compared Nd5xs2 into Ndac/ 555 ps. Unfortunately they said it’s not at Nd555 level. It would be too cool, as the former combo costs less than half of the Nd555.

For cost, an Nds/ 555 ps non dr but serviced is imbattable. Specially for local streaming.

Probably a number of ways to get there depending on how you’re viewing and on what device.

On the general web page it’s at the bottom under Services.

I have better things to do with my time.

So I will give you a different answer.

I was very keen to get my CDs out the way. I had many hundreds.

When I heard the NDAC and NDS I was not prepared to lose what the CD555 delivered compared with either. So the CDs stayed. The ND555 was another matter. Overall, I preferred it slightly with one PSU, but quite a bit more with two. So that’s what I bought. And that was before I found what Innuos can do to improve things.

Your system and preferences - musical, sonic and otherwise - may differ. But to claim that the CD555, NDAC, NDS and ND555 are pretty much the same because they share a common chipset without considering what the differences in their implementation bring to the table is simply inaccurate.

3 Likes

That very much depends on the music and system you’re listening to.

1 Like

It does and that is the main reason why most won’t hear a difference.
As always you will only get to hear what the weakest item in the chain can do. I found that out.
It’s how the filtering is done and other things that changes the sound from the same chip.
But even so the difference between say the nds and nd555 playing from the same stored device is extremely close. Streaming, that’s a completely different result.

3 Likes

I’ve just moved from an NDac/555DR to ND555 and I’m afraid the ND555 is quite a bit better even with one supply in the chain. Connect up another 555DR and it makes the same leap again! Hear a piano note struck on an ND555 with two supplies and you will understand instantly why it’s so much better than anything else you’ve heard.

Instruments just take on more authority, better separation, greater dynamics and a better tone. Even if the DAC in the ND is similar to the NDac you have better isolation with the ND’s suspension, plus the added shielding. Couple this with a great streaming section and it’s really hard to beat. Downloads from my Core easily compete or better my LP12. A couple of years ago I couldn’t get close to an LP12. My old CDP555, given the right CD, could get close but rarely better!

5 Likes

I have had a ND555 for several years but had a couple of problems over the years my dealer loaned me both a NDS and NDX2 the4 ND555 is he best by far and I agree with your observations regarding piano notes.

1 Like

Yes. Easily.

Hmmm I’ve got some SL6 with original stands and some SL3/5a and some Kudos Titan 606
I’ve been able to listen to the difference that speakers can make with regards to what you can hear with better speakers and it’s pretty significant.
Using my XPS NDX BT The puritan 156 with their ultimate power, cable running power to my XPS none DR & NDX BT, 252 none DR Snaxo 242 2xNap300 none DR and two lots of 3m chord Sarum connected to some Kudos Titan 606 which are now sitting on podium 2’s
The cleaner power in and the vibration isolation for the speakers has created some real magic with a week ish front end. When I do finally upgrade I will be able to share how much difference the front end makes to improving the power in and the vibration effects on the way out. Right now I’m thinking that the reduction of power noise with the Puritan 156 and the Townshend podiums 2’s have cleaned up a lot of distortion coming in from the power supply and the smearing vibrations that were coming from speakers on spikes. Maybe these issues aren’t getting the attention that they deserve :thinking: I’ve just addressed both and
My XPS NDX BT sounds bloody amazing :grin: when I do get a NDS or NDX 2 I’ll be able to share my experience of the differences. I’m so impressed with puritan 156 and the Townshend podiums 2’s :ok_hand:

Hi Burg, I recently purchased a second hand NDX2 on eBay at a very good price. With lots of people upgrading the new classic range, prices have definitely come down and you can get lucky if it is an auction with a strange end time.

My future plan will be to try and add a 555PS DR when funds permit and I find a good deal. It gives a potential (but highly unlikely upgrade path) if I ever choose to go further. I must say that I am still in awe at how good the NDX2 really is. I had an ND5 before and have been surprised at the uplift in sound. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Can I ask what sort of floor your speakers on podiums are on?