ND5 XS 2 arriving soon

I read that as MILF the first time.

5 Likes

I Now have my SN2 and NDX 2 as replacements for my Nait XS2 amp and ND5 XS 2 streamer - wow!
I do not know (or care) which improvements are attributable to which component but am confident that neither of my original components mixed in with either of my replacement components (dear God, does that make sense?!), but I do not care.

This is where I wish I had a degree in English Literature or journalism as I struggle to find words/phrases to describe what I am hearing - I refuse to use cliched, HiFi press, terminology.

The improvements so far are that bass is tighter (it was far from ‘bloomy’ on the previous pairing) and I mean tighter! Bass notes have a defined finish as well as great transient start point.

If I want to follow individual instruments I can, despite the fact that the detail is less pronounced than for example, my Oppo 105 with Sabre DACs or chord mojo via headphones. This added detail comes with an amount of hardness not present with my Naim pairing. I also noticed this on my previous Naim pairing but this combination is more ‘grown up’.

With my previous set up (Nait XS 2 and ND5 XS 2) I found myself just concentrating on the music as a whole and not thinking about the HiFi aspects; my new combination is even more so! As I have just received the new combination (SN2 plus NDX 2) I am keen to convince myself that the new combination is worth more than double the outlay - I am not disappointed and the performance can only improve as the components bed in over the next month or so.

Am I confident that the extra outlay was worth it? OMG, yes!

At this point I will point out that my ears are closer to 60 years old than they are to 50 and my speakers are Neat SX1s. I do not listen to less than CD quality and my main sources are Tidal HiFi plus USB HDD with CD quality files plus SACD rips and hi-res files.

A good example is the CD quality rip of the Cadillac Three’s title track, Tennessee Mojo. The bass drum always sounds fabulous and deep but with this combination it actually sounds like a bass drum. The vocals and separate instrument lines are clearly delineated yet at the same time merge into an excellent whole.

The same is true of AC/DC’s if you want blood album, Diana Krall’s The girl in the other room anything else that I throw at it.

It used to be claimed that new kit allowed the listener to hear things that they hadn’t heard before in their music collection and that they could rediscover their music collection; now it is more of a case that the information appears more realistic and everything is more cohesive - greater authenticity or timbre of instruments.

Earlier I listened to Tidal’s early reggae decade ‘68-‘69 and the tracks were so much more musical than just a few days ago on my previous system.

The fit, finish and quality of the new kit is no better than previously but only because all Naim kit is so excellent!

I imagine that the 500 series takes things to another level all be it at a great financial outlay.

To put things into perspective I watched a live performance of Brahms second symphony in Birmingham immediately prior to setting up my new combination and guess what was the first thing I listened to? Did the Naim come close? No way! It just goes to show that we are all chasing an impossible dream - no amount of money can match the natural timbre and dynamics of a live performance but the pursuit is fun.

2 Likes

This is fabulous and you have captured the benefits eloquently. I’m finding a lot for detail from the NDX2, things I never heard with my Nova. As for the SN2, it really just slams and nails the PRAT.

4 Likes

Now 2 weeks in and I can conclude this thread by stating that the NDX2 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

6 Likes

@bjm Nice to hear and certainly a very capable and enjoyable system you’ve got yourself there!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.