ND5 XS 2 for my Supernait 3

I have a great local dealer in my country, he is offering me a nd5 xs2 for 2.300 USD (taxes included), I was considering for budget issues an eversolo dmp a8, I thought the nd5 was going to cost me more than 3K. Would this pick be the recommended buy at this price point? I have a bluesound node as streamer + dac, my second question would be: Am I going to get a noticeable difference if I replace the node with the nd5? Last question: With respect to interconnects, would the default nd5 cable be good enough for starters?

Thanks for your time!

3 Likes

Yes, i think you will enjoy a nice appreciable upgrade here. I have ran a ND5 XS 2 with a SN3 & stock cables, wonderful system, without any shadow of a doubt :+1:

8 Likes

@moralesarias94 it depends how far you want to go. I used the ND5XS2 with my SN3. Liked it a lot. Upgraded to the NDX2 with XPSDr. Very significant improvement in SQ. You might also consider the HighcapDr which will significantly improve the SN3.

3 Likes

I canā€™t comment on the Eversolo, but I was very happy with SN3 and ND5XS2.

2 Likes

I have the ND5XS2 which I use with an NDS as DAC. The ND5XS2 sounds really good still in my system bare. I would get one if I were in your position. You also have option in the future of using it with an external DAC, such as nDAC. I am not saying to do that, but it gives you options for future upgrades.

I highly rate it as a great piece of kit. Good luck with your purchase.

4 Likes

I too have a SN3 with ND5XS2 - very pleased, and using stock cables. Iā€™ve also added a Hicap DR to the amp - a major uplift in sound.
After speaker upgrade, I think the next step for me will be a replacement for the ND5XS2, possibly NSS333 (or NDX3 if/when such a box appears).
2.3k USD equates to approx Ā£1810 - which is what I paid for my ND5XS2 from a dealer who had taken it as a trade in (the dealer thought it hadā€™nt been out of the box!) - a discount of Ā£700-Ā£800 vs new.
Go for it, you wonā€™t be disappointed.

4 Likes

@Robbo1 i have found greater improvement in SQ with better cables. I found the standard Naim interconnects to be dark and slow. Chord Shawline was much better. Moving to EpicX was even better.

1 Like

Thanks @Jaybar, can you clarify please, do you mean the cable upgrades are more of an upgrade than the Hicap DR?

1 Like

@Robbo1. I canā€™t exactly answer that. My dealer advised doing the HighcapDR first. We had to wait for the Chord cables, so we started out with the Naim cables.

1 Like

@Jaybar, I didnt phrase my question well, can you explain ā€œi have found greater improvement in SQ with better cablesā€ please, greater than what?

1 Like

@Robbo1 i am just saying that compared to the standard Naim interconnect, I found an improvement in SQ when I switched to Chord cable. First to Shawline and then to EpicX. I canā€™t say it any other way. I am not a fan of the standard Naim interconnect that comes in the box with Naim equipment.

1 Like

I used ND5 XS2 with Supernait3 for a few years. It was very nice. To me, it sounds like you got a god price there, as well (I live in Sweden so I am not sure about the market where you are).

2 Likes

Great combo! Indeed adding external power, better cables etc further improves SQ but ā€˜bareā€™ it is a you too. A great great streamer it is, that ND5XS2

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer Robbo! Now that the hicap looks to be discontinued (that is what I heard from my dealer) is it impossible to get a ā€œnewā€ one?

I would think itā€™s a matter of shopping around, there maybe dealers who have one. I got lucky and found a ā€˜usedā€™ one but the dealer didnā€™t think it had been used, except for him testing it.
My advice would be to hunt down one (new or used) from a dealer. They are out there.

1 Like