ND5 XS 2 into NDS/555PS

Here in Australia the previous Naim distributer is still clearing stock, there’s a ND5 XS 2 going at less than 50% full retail, as I’m now retired and and new NDS55 or even one of the new 300 series streamers are out of reach, would using the ND5 XS as a transport and the NDS as the DAC be worthwhile, I mostly use Roon through UPnP into the NSD but is’s clunky, also the the extra connectivity like chrome cast and airplay would be very useful. I’d be interested if anybody has done this.
Thanks.

Good luck if anything goes wrong with the ND5 SX 2

There’ll be no after sales service I would think

From what I read they were only giving a one year warranty so not sure that’s still the case, maybe less now

My view - buyer beware

Yes indeed, I see it’s one of the conditions

I use ND5XS2 into NDS with 555PS and it works well. I used to get glitches withoutthe ND5XS2 and I couldn’t get it to work with Tidal.

I now use Qobuz, Spotify and a NAS drive where all my CDs are ripped. I don’t get any issues nowadays and the 3 box streaming solution works very well.

I would recommend the set up. There are other workarounds but I prefer this approach. You’ll need a digital cable from ND5XS2 to the NDS. I use Naim’s DC1.

2 Likes

I’ll echo what Dan_M says and can vouch for the ND5XS2. I use mine into a nDAC/XPSDr combo and love my 3 box source.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice Guys, I’m hoping it will breath new life back into my beloved NDS, I run Roon on a Small green computer sonictransporter i9, there’s always been a very frustrating incompatibility between the two, every so often when playing albums it starts rapidly skipping tracks, then it’s a reboot of everything or just walk away, I’ll look forward of the improved functionality as well as an enhanced sound.

3 Likes

I also love my NDS. Sounds wonderful.
I will also be adding an ND5XS2 at some point as per @Dan_M 's advice.

1 Like

Try setting Resync Delay to 1000ms in the SonoreUPnP Bridge running on the SonicTransporter.

Thanks Simon, I wish I’d posted that problem on this forum long ago, SGC never came up with a solution.

1 Like

I’m happy to report Bevo that Harry form audio genesis was able to price match the ND5, turn out he had a small number of items he was able to this for, I’m much happier my money going to Harry who has looked after me for probably close to 30 years now.

2 Likes

Excellent news :+1:

1 Like

This is a major upgrade, it’s coming up to 10 years since a new Naim box has landed in my system, this really has injected new life into a legacy system, I’d recommend for anyone with the old streaming platform.

3 Likes