ND5 XS2 .... Oh Dear!

I think @Timbo’s report is probably worth more than any comments I can make now that he has actually listened to the combinations in question. My view was more speculative based on the tech in these various boxes, and how it has evolved over the years.
My experience of the NDAC was with a 1st gen NDX in front, and with a non-DR 555PS, which I preferred to the DR version in this setup. I’ve only listened to the NDS with a 555DR. Despite any hypothetical pros and cons, I think the NDAC has a different character to the NDS and I couldn’t honestly say that one was better than the other overall. I just thought that the newer tech in the ND5XS2 might give the NDS the edge.

Right. Gotcha. I understand now. You could well be right. Just been reading back through this thread, and I’m not surprised that my wife thinks that I’m bonkers🤪.

Thanks @ChrisSU

2 Likes

Same here … nd5xs2 - dc1 - nDAC - XPs (olive).
Love it!

3 Likes

Great combo indeed

Just to finish things off, the ND5XS 2 is now in it’s intended place in system 2. So it’s feeding a 15 year old SuperNait 1 (which has yet to be serviced and I hope it will be done soon) with a recently serviced HiCap DR into ATC SCM 19’s and ut really does sound very good. A more full bodied sound than the other streamers I was using, but of course they were less than half the price. My NDS is sounding nice and I think I just about prefer it to having the ND5 XS 2 attached to the digital in.

It got me thinking about the possible upgrade routes, I am lucky to have a NDac and XPS2 DR to be able to utilise and also the NDS. I suppose if you can pick up a used ND5 XS 2 like I did the logical upgrade route is the NDac (used) and an XPS, but then you are in NDX2 territory and then add an XPS 2 DR to it if you can. I’m certain a proper 555 DR will be way out of my budget for quite a while, but maybe as the new products filter in then perhaps a few more may become available.

Cheers

Tim

3 Likes

a nait 1 into scm19’s?? i suppose that solves any low level balance issues as gues its on pretty high!

I also agreed that paring NDS with a more recent streamer like ND5XS2 or NDX2 is a worth while investment if you are like me that the ND555 is a bit too out of reach.

I currently have the NDX2/NDS/555PSDR combo and I am very happy with the result, particularly on the TIDAL/Qobuz/Spotify streaming side. Although it still feels overkill using the NDX2 just for the tiny streaming board and disable the rest DAC part where it excel over the last version. This means pairing it with the ND5XS2 making more sense.

my initial plan was to ditch the NDS and use the NDX2/555PSDR. Although the SQ in NDX2 has improved a lot over the old NDX when I first auditioned, but still, they are just still not on the same level as the NDS despite it is an old product.

Also a fun fact to note that I compared the NDS/555PSDR with nDAC/555PSDR using a CD5XS. Although both DAC are pretty much on the same playing field to my ears, the NDS sound more Naim or musical or cohesive than nDAC. My personal assumption is the nDAC was designed to be paired with different sources in mind, including non Naim sources, so it may need to have a more neutral character, and to my ears is a little bit sterile if I have to compare it vs NDS. Bottom line is both DAC are great in SQ, they are just different with their own sound characters. If you don’t have a NDS for a critical A/B test, you will certainly enjoy nDAC if pair with a more recent source like ND5XS2/NDX2 especially mDAC is much cheaper than an NDS.

Also want to share that although I did start with using an XPS with both NDS and nDAC before, the change to 555PSDR, even though is a huge investment even on 2nd hand, it worths every single penny. I believe that is what/ how these DACs were designed and tuned to be pair with in the first place, Naim just offer other alternatives for people like me who need to “work my way up” slowly to finally afford one to see what these DAC can really do if a higher quality power supply is used.

Always happy to see someone still hanging on to their NDS , which in my opinion is a great and reasonably priced flagship streamer back in the days vs the price point of the new current flagship ND555.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to find a 555PSdr that I can’t afford! Luckily there are not too many in my neck of the woods.

3 Likes

Sorry for hijacking the show I would like to Connect my Naim CD player and Naim ND5xs2 streamer din to rca is That the way you would do it and is it better Quality sorry forgot to say to my Rega amp

It’s generally best to use the DIN output on Naim gear where possible. You will need to source a DIN to RCA cable if your amp has RCAs.
If you already have an RCA to RCA cable it will still work fine on the ND5XS2 which offers both types.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply so there would be no difference in quality if I used din to rca so rca to rca would be the same quality thanks

SuperNait 1 - 70 w per channel I believe . :upside_down_face:

1 Like

A DIN to RCA could sound a little better than the same cable with RCAs at both ends. I was just thinking that if you already have a decent RCA cable it’s fine to use it.

1 Like

Though I am a very happy Naim user I have a feeling Technics are in a bit of a purple patch right now.

Now THAT’S an avatar, pal. Hail Hail…

1 Like

Hail Hail to you Bhoyo

2 Likes

Could you tell me please what DIN+RCA means I bought chord clearway DIN to RCA what is the best setting thanks

What is the best setting when you are using Din to Rca

1 Like

Is din to rca a brighter Sound than rca to rca mine seems a bit bright I have only had the cable a week well it settle down when run in thanks

Hello @ChrisSU. My dealer kindly gave me a coax BNC cable that they made themselves. Very kind indeed. Therefore I have now moved the ND5XS2 out of the dining room and into the lounge. So it’s now ND5XS2 > nDAC. It replaces the Innuos Zen mini - that’s now in the dining room. To my ears, there is now a big difference in sound. I do really enjoy this combo. Now I have to save for a second hand power supply…

8 Likes