ND5 XS2 ordered 👍

Router>switch>streamer

marcusman said it was a hybrid wifi/Ethernet. Sorry if I’m being dense :man_shrugging:

Sounds great Thruster04, I have been contemplating if I should run my Music Hall cd25.2 thru my ND5 XS2? I would think it should do better then the old Burr-Brown PCM 1738 24-bit/192kHz DAC that’s in the Music Hall CD player??
If so would TOSLINK be the way to connect the Music Hall to the ND5 XS2?

This is perfect timing.
Mine arrives tomorrow so I can piggy back on the comments :grinning:

2 Likes

Excellent, I have the same set up. What speaker cables are you using with your SN3? I specced a Chord Shawline DIN>DIN interconnect with mine. Interested to hear what streaming service you’ll avail yourself of or whether you’ll be using a library I’d ripped CD’s on a Uniti Core.

1 Like

Don’t know whether TosLink is the best way, it was my only option - the cinema system has no audio out and the TV has only TosLink so….
It certainly sounds good and long optical cables are cheap.

1 Like

No worries.
It’s more like Router>2960 switch>Eero Pro mesh network>EE8Switch>streamer

My network setup is a little complicated as I have to place my work computer behind a firewall hence the Cisco 2960 main switch. (bridged mode, multiple separate networks)
The Eero wifi network works just fine to my ND5xs2 streamer. With the RJ45 ports on the back of the Eero gave me a reason to try the EE8 switch which I love. Hope this helps

1 Like

Welcome to the board and do let us know how it’s going. It’s a great streamer (biased opinion) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Mike, you’re way ahead of me with cabling lol… Did you find a big difference with the Chord Shawline’s over the supplied Naim dims? I understand Naim does ship with good dins but I can definitely see that being high on my list of upgrades… As for speaker cable I biwire my 805D3’s and the right speaker run is around 18-20 feet so it’s a expense I’ve geared more towards components BUT with the ND5 XS2 being the final piece of my components I will most definitely look into upgrading them, then there’s always power cabling lol… Damn will it ever end🤣
All my streaming is thru Tidal…

Really?

1 Like

I do… I know many don’t buy into biwiring but at the time of the purchase of my previous speakers(Paradigm studio 20v3) Paradigm recommended bi-wiring stating “Bi-wiring can improve clarity and openness with less grain and more solidity to the bass”… if there was a chance of improvement I was all in so when I bought my B&W’s they said “Bi-wiring’s advantages are generally considered to be more subtle than bi-amping” so again if there’s a advantage to it I decided as long as I already had my system set up that way I just stuck with it…

1 Like

Understood.
I think its Naim that do not recommend biwiring, but if it works for you…

Really Neil? I never saw that from Naim but will definitely look into it. I’m very open minded and if it’s not recommended by Naim I would definitely look into why and change it up appropriately. I’m all about the sound and want to get the most out of what I have…:wink:

1 Like

Hi Capt, it’s not quite that black and white. Naim’s view is in this FAQ. Note this was written some years back when Naim still made speakers. It does include the text “ Obviously, if the speaker crossover has been deliberately designed to sound better when bi- or tri-wired, then it quite possibly will; but that’s not to say that it wouldn’t sound better overall if it were designed for single wiring in the first place, as our speakers are."

2 Likes

Don’t get bi wiring and bi amping confused. That FAQ is about the latter, Capts post is about the former. They are very different things.

1 Like

Eoink and Neil are of course correct, but more importantly the FAQ is about ACTIVE biamping which is something else again.

1 Like

Which is why I quoted the paragraph on bi-wiring from the FAQ, it’s quite a long way down and I thought people might miss it.

Yes, apologies Eoink.I was unaware that the faq topic went on later to explain bi wiring.
My error.

1 Like

If you use your supernait remote to control the volume on your existing set up and want to use it for the new nd5xs2 streamer you may have a dilemma. Do you intend to retain a CD player? I have my ND5XS2 wired into the CD input on the amp using the supplied cable because a respected hi-fi dealer recommended this so that the preamplifier in the supernait adjusts the volume, and you can see the dial move around and know what the volume is.

The alternative of connecting to the streamer input and using the amplifier remote volume control (or the shiny one with the streamer), simply throttles back the output from the streamer, which said, hi-fi dealer assured me was inferior, which sounds reasonable.

However, the dealer that supplied the gear, wired it into the streamer input so I would be interested if Richard had a comment on this: I guess it’s because the amp has been adapted to have an additional input rather than fundamentally reworked.

I’m not convinced it needs burning in but you will find that with repeated listening things may sound different over the weeks, but I believe that’s more to do with learning how to listen and changes to one’s memory banks.

Would be well worth going back to basics and optimising your seating and speaker positions.

You will be getting a lot more sound, particularly from modern recordings IE, those in the last 10 or 15 years, and to a lesser extent this century, so the question of room treatments will become more significant.

I don’t use the shiny remote that comes with it.

Not sure of its purpose really. The batteries went on it well before those on the amplifier one, even not using it!, Since every time you move it, it lights up. Maybe the marketeers think we streamers are a different demographic.

At some stage, you might consider upgrading your amp, but you can always upgrade car, house, even spouse, sometimes best just to sit back and enjoy the music

Hi John C2,
thank you for all info!!! I’m sadly still waiting on my ND5X2, I “might” receive it late this week but most likely looking like next week😞…
I honestly didn’t give the remote aspect any thought, my thought was I’d go din to din connection and run volume from either the SN3 remote or volume control within the Naim app? It’s how I’m running my present SN3 and BlueSound Node setup. I just took it for granted that’s how it would work??
I was thinking I’d keep my CD player in play, I even asked in a earlier post above if it would be better to connect my Music Hall CD player into the nd5xs2 seeing it has to have a better DAC then the older CD player? As for upgrading my amp I have absolutely no thoughts of upgrading my SN3, I just love it!! It has more then enough power to drive my present speakers and seeing with my living room size and setup I’ll always have bookshelf speakers, if by chance down the road I replace them with more power hungry speakers I’d just grab a HiCap DR…

1 Like