ND5 XS2 ordered 👍

I have mine set up with system automation you connect using a 3.5mm cable from your nd5xs2 to your sn3. Then enable it in the app, which allows you to control volume via the app and if it affects sound quality it’s not enough that I can hear the difference personally.

2 Likes

There’s no problem with using the same volume control via the SN3 remote if you are happy with it. System automation allows you to use the Naim app instead if you have a Naim stream.

Regarding the Hicap, remember that it powers the preamp, not the power amp, so although you may find it to be a worthwhile upgrade, it won’t help to drive more demanding speakers.

2 Likes

The analogue output on the ND5 XS2 is a fixed level over RCA or DIN.
Which analogue input you use on the Supernait will make no difference, they’re all wired the same and will be treated by the preamp equally.
The DIN connectors on the Supernait for av and stream are also wired to provide an output for recording purposes.
The ND5 lacking a physical remote does allow you to control your Supernait via the Naim app as an alternative to using the NARCOM IR remote that came with the Supernait.
This allows you to connect the two together using a 3.5mm cable (mono or stereo) and pass RC5 IR commands from the Naim app, to the ND5 over IP and on to the Supernait over the 3.5mm minijack cable.

2 Likes

Hi capt57. I didn’t express myself very clearly on the volume control issue. The supernait remote works fine, but when using the naim app it throttles back the NDX2 if the din is connected to the streamer input, but if connected to the CD input, then the app controls the amplifier, which should give a better result.

I’m not sure your dealer understands this volume control thing.
System Automation is a way to use the analogue preamp volume control, but access it through the Naim app (or the streamer remote if you use one.) It doesn’t matter which input you use for the streamer. You just need an additional cable that relays the control signal from streamer to preamp.

The alternative is to enable a basic digital volume control in the streamer, but with a loss of sound quality due to its implementation. Again, it doesn’t metter which preamp input the streamer is connected to.

2 Likes

Wow, you guys are awesome!
I didn’t realize I’m going to need a 3.5mm cable to control the SN3 thru the ND5XS2 but I’ll pick one up, seems my nd5xs2 is on its way and if all goes well I’ll have it Saturday woohoo!!
I do get what you and JohnC are saying and to me sound quality is #1, if any SQ is lost by throttling volume control thru the ND5XS2 then I’d avoid that and same goes for cabling, not sure why but I presumed din/din was better even if it’s miniscule over the RCAs then din/din is the way I would go…

1 Like

There is no „throttling“ of the volume control, just do as Chris says and everything will sound fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use the supplied DIN cable to connect the streamer. The extra cable for System Automation volume control is a cheap thin cable with a mono 3.5mm jack plug on each end. When I first bought a Naim streamer my dealer gave me one, but you can but them online for virtually nothing.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to use the fixed volume setting when using system automation, the variable setting reduces sound quality.

1 Like

That’s only in there (variable volume control) for support of Apple AirPlay. Disable that as an an input option and the option goes away.
All System Automation enables is the means to send RC5 Infra Red remote control commands to an amp from an external source, in this case a ND digital source controlled over IP by the Naim app.

1 Like

Glad it’s sorted.Perhaps you could now upskill your dealer.
I’ve just realised I’ve used the word “upskill”.
Horrific…I do apologise.

2 Likes

The versatility doesn’t stop there - I use a digital link between my old Arcam Alpha CD player through to my ND5XS2 - and then use my SN3 remote to control the CD player (stop/play/pause/skip etc all from one Naim remote) - I chucked my CD remote into a drawer! The CD player although quite good, is over 30 years old , but still going strong and is now just a transport. The DAC in the ND5XS2 really opens up the sound stage considerably and gives it that Naim sound quality (PRaT) that I have come to much admire!
I really like not having a remote control for the ND5XS2 :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t think I understand the Naim System Automation. Is it used only when you want to control volume through the Naim app? I have no 3.5 mm cables and control the CD5Si, ND5XS2 and NAC202 via one Naim remote.

1 Like

The only thing that I had to understand is that when connecting the 3.5 mm cable between my NDX 2 and NAC 282 I could control the volume through my iPad or iPhone when using the NAIM app. Also the NDX 2 remote could control the volume as well but I do not use the remote.

It makes life pretty simple.

Thanks MarkinTime that was another question I asked earlier in this thread, did you run a RCA or TOSLINK from your CD player to the nd5 xs2?? I would be thrilled to get the Naim sound (PRaT) from my 20 year old Music Hall CD-25.2 …:joy:

I did similar between a Naim CD5 XS and ND5 XS2 using a Naim DC1 BNC to BNC cable. Should work fine, just select it as an input and away you go!
Use a 75 Ohm RCA to RCA (Digital Input 3) or RCA to BNC (Digital Input 4) digital coaxial cable in your case.

2 Likes

You guys are the best, you took practically all the guess work out of setting the ND5 XS2 up with my SN3. Thank you so much!! One last question if I may, I’m one of those guys who does not power down my Supernait 3 unless I’m going to be gone for a week, do you ND5 XS2 owners power down your nd5xs2 when you’re not using it or at the end of the day?

2 Likes

I leave my NDX2 in standby after 1 hour, via the amp setting. It has a low power standby, so you don’t need to turn it off and will wake instantly.

1 Like

Exactly what Mike_S says. The ND5XS2 also has a low power standby which is awesome IMHO. So yes I leave mine on

2 Likes

We leave ours powered, then it will go to sleep on low power, i believe this is mandatory now for AV products