ND5 XS2 - still a smart choice?

No problems with Spotify. If it’s working well for you as it is then all good!

@NickofWimbledon I too have the same disconnect issues with the app. When my iPhone is charging wirelessly I tend to lose connection. Also when I leave home or when it rains even though it is hard wired with Ethernet to the router.

1 Like

I apologize for this diversion.

I have a SuperUniti into NAP200DR.

Will the ND5 XS 2 improve the streamer/DAC of the SU?

Thank you, Rafael

My guess would be yes. I went from superuniti to 272 and it was a big improvement

1 Like

@Dan_M
That’s interesting… in my system the nd5xs2 was bringing a darker sound. Darker than hdx.
But both are connected to nDAC / XPs.
There is much influence the nDAC is bringing. Very good influence.
Nd555 was. Abit brighter - this was removed with the phenomenal phoenix net.

Funny, Ive just brought 2 hi-caps, a 282 and a 250dr all new but nicely discounted because im done with Sonos and the Internet when it comes music… Yes ill buy a streamer mainly coz i cant use my Uniti Core without one in my new system, but I’ve a feeling that I’ll be updating my streamer long before i feel the need to update the 282

3 Likes

Use SN2 remote.

My ND5XS2 works every time.

Solid and reliable.

2 Likes

I went from 272 to ND5XS2 as streamer and it was a big improvement.

3 Likes

Absolutely yes.

We ran an nDAC into a SU for a short spell - massive improvement!

3 Likes

NDAC is one of the greatest music for money deals this days!

4 Likes

I just bought a ND5 XS2 this morning, so my answer would be yes. With the caveat that it was part of a demo model combo deal at 2/3 of the list price, which creates a whole different ballgame.

The moment you start adding DACs and PSUs to a budget streamer you’re quickly approaching this price range, and then everything that makes Naim ownership so good kicks in.

6 Likes

But the NDAC is also a massive improvement on the ND5, so I’m not sure that answers the question!

Functionality aside, I’d be very interested to know if the ND5XS2/NDS improves sound over NDS alone. I suspect it will.

3 Likes

This interests me as well! Especially when it comes to local streaming
I read in somewhere, that the NDS alone is preferred as it brings more refinement. But theoretically it could be a close cut to nd555

2 Likes

In my system I felt it lost coherence and the earthiness which I have come to love with NDS. But I’m sure some will find it better. The signal also need to travel through connectors and a BNC cable and not within the box. I’m sure the choice of BNC will affect the end result too.

1 Like

I think it is also on the HiFi Choice list

2 Likes

This is a great device, very reliable from hardware and software standpoint.
Naim app is stable and user friendly , and qobuz well integrated.
A screen would have been nice but no screen means less potential issues.
The DAC inputs are however average. I tried connecting 2 cd players by their digital outputs to the dac entries and was disappointed.
Streaming 96khz/24bits makes a huge difference to me on my system.

3 Likes

It is also worth mentioning that many here reckon that a s/h Naim nDAC paired with the ND5XS2 is about as good (and much cheaper than) the NDX2.

Of course, you can improve the NDX2 with an external PS, and you can’t do that with the ND5XS2, but then you can do that with the nDAC too and it works well. You would need to spend a lot elsewhere to get a system in which an ND5XS2 didn’t really belong.

4 Likes

I agree. Although I liked the idea of a screen before I took ownership (I have an ND5 XS2) I’ve never wished I had one, and I suspect it would be more likely to go wrong than most of the rest of the unit.

5 Likes