ND5 XS2 VS NDX 2, my impressions

indeed I did trust my own ears, I too was wondering what the Hugo hype was all about.

Until I heard it (I bought it without audition)

instantly within a few seconds I heard what all the fuss was all about, compared the Naim DAC V1 that I previously owned.

I proceeded to sell my DAC V1, and bought 2 more Chord Dacs (Mojo and Dave) and never looked back.

After audition of several hi-end sources from the big 3 companies (Naim, Linn and DCS), my preference and money is still with Chord. The other 3 are still very good, no doubt.

The Chord Mojo makes my dream of listening to hi-end audio in my car a reality, without having the means of buying a Bentley with Naim hi-fi.

2 Likes

No. I also did the exact same thing and couldnā€™t tell any difference either. Played with the qutest filters and there were some ever so minor differencesā€¦ but nothing better, or worse.

Was an easy decision for me to send back the qutest. However, I will caveat that I was doing this thorough an SN2. And now I have a 282, so maybe a better pre amp could make for a different result for me. But tbh, Iā€™m so happy about the increase in SQ with the 282 that I have no interest in repeating the exercise.

2 Likes

A week in and I am loving my NDX 2! It seems to have opened up a bit more. It is sounding amazing. The sound has more heft while being smoother than the ND5 XS2. It feels like the NDX 2 has more horsepower.
I canā€™t wait to see how it will sound in the coming weeks.

4 Likes

Both devices sound better into their second month of ownership. Whether it is just your ears getting used to a new sound or some genuine burning in of components, who knows. And this will continue for a few more months too.
I have left my ND5XS2 driving qutest since both were bought. They are pairing nicely. But, also show up some recordings that previously I thought were ok.

3 Likes

Agreed. It took my former ND5 XS 2 nearly 3 months to fully open up.

2 Likes

I have mine coming tomorrow so am looking forward to what you have described above over the ND5 XS 2. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi DanielH,

Just a quick question(s) if i may:

Did you have an existing native Tidal account? and was it easy to just naturally carry it on via your NDX 2? I have deleted the Naim app but i will reinstall it again when i register my NDX 2.

Same here

1 Like

Yes, it was very easy. I did not delete the Naim app. The app found my NDX 2, and I didnā€™t even have to log into Tidal again. It just worked!

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure why you would want to delete the Naim app. It will delete any associated data including your Tidal login details, so you will need to log back into Tidal when you get the NDX2. Remember that the Naim app can control multiple streamers, so even if you still have the ND5 running, it wonā€™t stop you setting up the NDX2.

1 Like

Oh ok, iā€™ll just download it again. Thanks.

1 Like

Ok no problem, thanks Chris.

Has it arrived yet @Stephen_Tate?

Itā€™s out for delivery as i type. Hopefully this morning as iā€™m starting to get all goose bumpily thinking about it. I keep curtain twitching. Not a healthy thing to do i know butā€¦ :grin:

4 Likes

I expect lots of expression for tapping sounds of delight by the time the sun has set - enjoy!

2 Likes

Thank you Mike_S.
Iā€™m sure i will let youā€™ll know my impressions once iā€™m up and running! Iā€™ve been nearly four days with no music! :flushed:

I found switching ā€˜Auto Standby Timeā€™ in the app to ā€˜neverā€™ has the NDX2 sounding at its best. All unused inputs/outputs disabled.

Enjoy.

G

3 Likes

Ding dong!

Only kidding.

Is it one of these ā€˜Your driver today is Frank. Frank is on delivery number 3 and you are number 245ā€™?

G

3 Likes

Thanks GraemeH. :rofl:
Indeed it was you, from all your experiences, who inspired me to go for the NDX 2. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried that, does it keep the circuits warm? Do you have the display set to go off?