ND5 XS2 VS NDX 2, my impressions

Always ‘Off’ Mike, but it’s the Auto Standby to ‘never’ that I feel made the most evident improvement.

G

1 Like

The recommendation as I understand is to leave Server Mode on - this keeps some circuitry switched on afaik and inputs should all be left on not off, although I suspect that makes little difference in reality.

The app looks nicer with all the unused inputs turned off… and I like the display on…

1 Like

Is it like the ND5xs2 where it has a small ps just for standby? Then the real one kicks in?

All the Uniti and separate streamers have this feature. It’s there to comply with EU regulations for reducing power consumption of consumer electronics in standby mode, and any new products released to the market are required to comply. If Naim release a revamped range of amps or PSUs they too will have to comply, which I suspect is why the 555PS is still called the CD555PS.

3 Likes

RFM

Typical use: 11W
Network standby mode: <2W
Deep sleep: <0.5W

Thanks Chris

1 Like

We are all standing outside your house hoping the delivery man mistakes one of us for you😉

4 Likes

Knock out ginger :grinning:

3 Likes

I have broken and rigged in an old CD5i mk1 in true mullet fashion - it’s not tooooo bad to be quit honest. Talk Talk are in the disc tray, so it kind of makes up for it. I’m done with sitting here in silence waiting for the delivery guy! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Aye , i’ll tell you what, the old CD5i has still got it you know. My one i have here was bought new in 2006 and is on it’s third transport. I had a new transport and service done to it in Dec 18 and it’s had very little use since then. I doubt if the mech has had even a 100 hours on it. Sounding really good, not a proper trouser flapper granted but still very musical all the same…

1 Like

“The colour of spring” sounds good in most cd players!

1 Like

at least it will warm up quick today!

1 Like

Ok i have NDX 2 up and running. It sounds absolutely amazing! More later! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Atta boy go go go👍

2 Likes

But it’ll take at least 9 months to burn in!

3 Likes

Are the trousers flapping?

1 Like

You bet Mike_S!
I thought the improvement over ND5 XS 2 (going from what i’ve read) would be quite subtle but it’s not. The bass has more solidity to it for a start, it’s fatter, goes deeper, tighter and wider. Tonally it’s the same as ND5 XS 2. However i’m finding there is more detail, better drive, more focus, more resolution as well as more subtlety. For me it’s quite a big upgrade. Even at lower volume there is more coming through. All ‘n’ all i’m very pleased so far and am very glad i have made this upgrade.

Fantastic player!

7 Likes

Stephen, I’ll take the old one off you for ten bob!

1 Like

Now I know I’m not the only one to think that! I agree on the detailed comparison between the ND5 XS2 and the NDX 2.

2 Likes

Pretty much the same experience I had using the ND5XS2 as a transport into the nDAC. There is some magic going on for sure. Wait until next week :slight_smile:

1 Like