ND5 XS2 wont play music other than artists commencing with letter A

"Mp3tag"should be able to add album art to a WAV file. Free to download and use.

You can certainly have artwork with WAV files. The first thing I would do is look in the folders and see if there is an artwork file along with the tracks and any other metadata files?

Chris, thank you for the quick reply.

What do you mean by folder? Within the actual folder for the artist, I have a further one for each album. Within the album I have the individual tracks from the album. There is also separate jpg of the cover the album within the album folder.

I used Tagscanner to tag each track and within there and saved the album art against each track. However, despite it showing in Tagscanner, it doesnā€™t display on the Naim app.

WAV files should have no trouble displaying album art, all my files are WAV or DSD.
As Guinnless said in a previous post, using Mp3Tag you can check that the WAV files have album art embedded - plus checking metadata. And reading your previous posts I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised if the metadata needs other attention.

There really is no need at all to separate FLAC & WAV, its an added level of complication you donā€™t need.
As said by HungerHalibut, the standard way is a folder for each artist (or album name if multiple artists) then a sub-folder for each of the artists albums

I would be tempted in your situation to standardise the folder convention & also convert the WAVā€™s to FLAC & transcode everything (play FLAC as WAV)

OK, so the artwork is there. Is this still in the USB drive attached to your streamer, or is it on your computer? If itā€™s on the computer, there has to be a UPnP server running on it, as that is what the streamer communicates with.

Mike,

I have installed Mp3Tag and when I click on a music track, down the left hand side of the screen it shows the artist and title and at the bottom a picture of the album art from the front cover. Does this mean it is embedded within the file?

Chris,

All of my music sits within the music library on my computer. Within the music folder I have a folder for FLAC and one for WAV. I right clicked on the Music library folder and granted access to my home group to view it.

What Iā€™m trying to understand is how your streamer is seeing the music on your computer. It canā€™t just browse the files/folders on it, and unless you are doing something very unconventional, there has to be a UPnP server running on your computer. This server may be the key to your artwork issue, which is why Iā€™m trying to understand your setup.

Yes, the fact that it shows the picture means its embedded.
As I hinted in my other post I would double check on all the metadata while you are in there - to be sure to be sure
Have you got all the fields populated as I have in the attached picture in the left side section. The Comments & Composer fields are not populated,

Chris, Iā€™m not sure how to explain that as Iā€™m not the most computer literate. if you tell me what to look for I will do so. On the network on my PC, I have a range of items connected including my Denon AVR and a Sonos 1. The ND5 is also connected.

By ā€˜serverā€™ people are referring to software. Maybe your computer is using Windows Media player.

My suggestion is buy a Nas, put your flac files in its music folder, load Asset and set it to transcode to WAV (this is literally ticking a box). If you have two discs in Raid they mirror each other. Itā€™s not a true backup in as much as if your Nas explodes they will both conk out, but if only one conks out you can simply add another. You can then do backups to USB drives. Keep it simple and all will be well.

1 Like

Hungry, if I click on a track whilst at my PC it plays via windows media player so I assume WMP is the software being used to stream to the ND5.

I am looking to buy a NAS. I have a lot of films and TV series which I currently have on circa 8 x 3tb portable hard drives. Would I be able to transfer all of these to the NAS drive and stream them to my tv instead of plugging the portable hard drive into my tv media player? if so, will Asset also deal with films and TV?

Iā€™ve been casting my over the QNAP TVS673. Are QNAP repuatbel as Iā€™ve seen good and bad reviews on the net for them with other recommending Synology.

Asset is audio only. As for Qnap, mine hasnā€™t broken yet and itā€™s been running for two years. If what you do now for film works itā€™s probably wise to leave it alone and just get the music sorted.

1 Like

Mike, I have everything populated that you have apart from disc number. I also only the front cover of the album as opposed to front and rear. The directory is C:\Users\Steve\Music\WAV Music\Abba\

What I do now does work for film and TV but it means connecting and disconnecting a portable hard drive every time. If Iā€™m going down the NAS route, I was hoping I could avoid this.

Iā€™m sure you can, but Iā€™ve no idea how!! I hardly watch TV so itā€™s not an issue for me.

Thanks for all your help Hungry, Iā€™ll have a read up on the NAS and specifically whether I can use Asset for music and another app for film and TV

In the Naim app, go into the Server input, and use the back button until you get to the first page (the one before the home page) and you should see any servers listed there by name. If ā€˜server modeā€™ is enabled in the app settings menu, you will see a server named Local Music. This is the built in server that runs with the USB drive. A server running on another device on your network, i.e. your computer, will also be listed there. What do you see?

I always make sure I have disc number but not sure its vital
All you get with album art thats embedded with any of the ripping software or downloaded albums is the front cover.
The directory is your PC path - mine was from a USM stick.

Have read HungryHallibutā€™s post on loading Asset & getting a pucker NAS, I had not realised you did not have this. Thatā€™s the way to go, even if Asset is loaded on your PC it will be better. Try the trail version of Asset on your PC.its a bit limited but will show you whats possible.

So, after the same advice from all of you to download Asset, I have done so this evening and temporarily installed it on my PC until i get my NAS. I have downloaded the free trial version and can now see why you all recommended it. It has found all of my music along with album art. I have also set it to transcode from FLAC to WAV and itā€™s working well. I still have to figure out how to get it to list artists via their surname alphabetically instead of christian name but that apart, Iā€™m actually listening to music and enjoying it again.

Thanks to all of you for your time and advice, it is very much appreciated. Iā€™m now left wondering about a speaker upgradeā€¦

Steve.