ND5 XS2 wont play music other than artists commencing with letter A

… OK good to know you have found the way forward with Asset. Next you need to work on the file/folder convention. Now how about a real NAS ?

I’m looking at a six bay QNAP as I would like to store all my films and TV on it which are currently spread across a number of portable hard drives. Having done some reading tonight via Google, i think i can have the Asset software for music on the NAS and utilise a different app for streaming films and tv.

I’m planning on deleting my WAV folder and re-ripping all of my CD collection to FLAC so I can transcode it to WAV in Asset. I also aim to have one folder containing music and within it will be a folder for each artist. Within that will be a folder for each album by that artist and within each album folder will be the individual tracks I have ripped from that album. A number of people who have replied to this thread suggest that is the usual convention.

I still need to figure how to get Asset to list the artists alphabetically by surname rather than christian name though.

You shouldn’t need to re-rip the files just “save as” whatever format you want unless you think there is a quality issue with the original rips. I use a MAC these days but from recollection DBpoweramp or EAC should be able to process the files into the structure you want.

As said above, you do not need to re-rip the WAV files, it’s easy to convert using dBpoweramp
Also I question why your need a 6 bay NAS, what’s your logic for that,

Thanks Shoniss, I didn’t think of ‘saving as’ as a solution. That will save me hours of time. I’ll also look at EAC to restructure the files so Asset stores them with artist surname.

Mike,

I currently have circa 23tb of films and tv stored on a number of 3/4tb portable hard drives. I download regularly and plan on starting watching them when I take redundancy this October. As an example, I have still only the seen the first series of Game of Thrones and never seen an episode of 24. I don’t want to lose any of them due to hard drive failure so thought the NAS would provide a back up for what I already have and will add to in the future so figured I’d need circa 50tb of storage which a two bay NAS cannot provide. The alternative I guess is a small single or two bay drive for my music and a different one for my films and TV, hence the six bay and everything in one place.

Gotcha thats a lot of video

Only the first series of GoT ? Oh you are in for a treat

Ian, I still can’t believe they killed off Sean Bean as he was the main character in Season 1. Trying to avoid hearing about every other season since has been difficult but I’ve managed it apart from hearing Jon Snow rises from the dead at some point. I intend to have a lazy November and watch it all then. :slight_smile:

Just remember that a NAS is not backup it’s just convenient storage, once you have copied everything onto the NAS retain the original discs and store them somewhere safe. I have a copy of all my music/photos/docs in our fireproof safe and an another at my work but then I don’t have 23Tb…

For your planned 50Gb you will need 6 10TB disks in Raid 5, these disks still enjoy a healthy premium over the 6Tb which are the sweet spot $/Tb wise. My experience is, of the series that I kept, The Wire, Deadwood etc I haven’t gone back to them once I’ve finished watching, though I have given copies to people who were interested. If you don’t want to get rid of them perhaps consider using a more efficient compression methodology to reduce their footprint. With the streaming services (Netflix) now being much improved I have stopped bothering to store video, you may find that you don’t need to actually have 50Gb. Good luck though.

I still have all of my cd’s but they are now stored in boxes in the loft if they are ever needed. I know what you mean about watching stuff then never watching it again. Maybe I should just get a two bay 4tb NAS for my music and then just delete the tv and films from the portable hard drives when I’ve watched them. It would certainly be cheaper!

Unless you are going to watch the TV recordings over and over again, it’s probably a good idea to have a nas just for the music.

Ah, but he didn’t make the Two Towers either, in fact there was an Only Connect question starting with a herd of cows and ended with head cut off in Malta, and they were all ways that Sean Bean has been bumped off.

Also dont forget to purchase a UPS for your new NAS just in case you have a power cut.
APC are fairly cheap, look for one that has the shutdown capability this will shutdown the QNAP gracefully if a power cut occurs.

I though UPS were a parcel delivery company? I’m guessing the PS is for power supply and also guessing a power cut can
damage a NAS?

Sure can, UPS is a must even a basic APC can keep a 2 bay QNAP running for 30 minutes during an external power cut or a power blip when an iron trips the fuse board.

Just think of all that hard work ripping the tunes to the NAS !!

I have an APC ‘Back-Up’ CS350 (350 watt)
I have it start to shut down the NAS after 10 seconds, no point in having it run when there’s no power for audio of video.
But I also use it to power phone & wifi, handy to finish up a phone call & to save computer work before getting the candles out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.