ND555 + 2 x 555PSDR

Yeah, yeah…. :grinning:

Enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Digital Burndy has one bar on it and Analogue Burndy has two bars marking.
And as shown above - Analogue is the power connector closer to the Analogue outputs - that is how I always remember it.

DB.

1 Like

#sourcefirst :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I was always intrigued by these sorts of threads on the old forum when the CDS555 first came out. So using a separate 555ps to power analogue and digital circuits is better. The same appears to be the case with the top of the line streamer. As before I was amazed by the 3 box CD player and now the 3 box music streamer. Shame that the thing cannot to be designed as a minimum with a maximum of 2 boxes

1 Like

It is designed to use two boxes - you can just add another if you want too. :bear:

Previous discussion on it seems to be that the use of a totally seperate Transformer and associated Regulator Caps means that the measured noise is acually lower on either Burndy feed - and that translates into a better performance.

But you do not need to use two PS boxes - just a nice upgrade option.

DB.

4 Likes

@GraemeH Did you ever consider buying new speakers? Looking at your system you seem to follow the source first approach to the max. As you can see from my Ovators thread I was convinced to buy a better amp and source instead of replacing speakers. Now with an ND555 and just one PS in place I consider new speakers. I wonder if another PS could be more important before moving on with speakers…

1 Like

The Tab 10 Sigs (I had 600 & 400 Ovators in our previous house) are effortlessly revealing the improvements brought by the 2nd 555PSDR, if that helps.

Source first all the way for me.

G

4 Likes

Obviously. Enjoy Your system, looks great and I can imagine it sounds great as well. For now I will enjoy my own system right now!

1 Like

The journey never ends, we just pause now and again to enjoy where we have reached. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

If I could afford it I probably would end up with an ND555 and two power supplies and a top-spec Linn. As it is I am awaiting the 272 replacement and depending on how good it is, I will decide if I need to upgrade my LP12 to be equal to it. Then hopefully this will be a place I want to spend a considerable period of time rather than seeking the next stop off on my journey.

Now if I won a big enough prize on the premium bonds…

1 Like

Next step should be a third 555 dr and no speakers :rofl:

4 Likes

Pre-loved of course

1 Like

Would I be correct in thinking that adding a second 555 to my NDS would yield similar results? Currently using a single non DR

Only one way to find out. Some did report however that 2 555PS on the NDS messed with the timing.

G

1 Like

My dealer didn’t advocate a second 555PS on the NDS so I never did the demo……he was very quick to get me to try one on the ND555 though.

1 Like

I did audition the second supply when i first heard the nd555 in a Signals demo they did for me, way back. It did sound better, but i was so taken back by the nd555 single 555dr over the ndx2 with 555dr that i kind of discounted it, for a while. But, it is a significant step up after listening at home……it just brought everything together musically.

4 Likes

I guess when it’s your last day you can always say “remember that time the PSU was added”
(from experience)

Why, oh why do I keep coming back to this thread, like a Lemming to a cliff edge!

8 Likes

Nigel it is worth it…I have never regretted it…it is flippin expensive…but hey life is too short…and your hearing could take a turn for the worst anytime…treat yourself your worth it…

3 Likes

Last bit sounds like a shampoo advert …sorry…hey you know what I mean :rofl:

2 Likes

It is a bit like dandruff i suppose……once you have heard two……it keeps coming back to haunt you😉

2 Likes