ND555 + 2 x 555PSDR

I know this has been covered before but I can’t find the relevant thread.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to mix DR and non-DR versions of the PS555 power supplies on my ND555, which would power the digital side and which would power the analogue side for optimal results.

All hypothetically speaking you understand.

Probably the DR one onto the Digital side.

DB.

2 Likes

@NigelB (Hypothetically speaking) I read the opposite to @Darkebear, stating that if using a DR and non-DR, ‘DR’ wouldn’t add anything to the digital side.

I’ll link if I can find it.

Found it!

Try both would seem wise.

G

1 Like

Thanks Graeme. I have just read through the thread you pointed me to and the consensus is that, when mixing DR and non-DR, it is the non-DR PS555 that goes on the digital side, as the DR seems to have limited impact there. This is the key finding for me, in that I would not be losing out by adding a non-DR to my existing DR version, instead of 2 x DR versions.

However these comments about mixing DR and non-DR PS555s are when powering a CD555, but I assume the same holds true when powering a ND555.

Hi all,

I am considering a 2nd 555PS on my streamer. Tried to understand how they would exactly be connected but couldn’t find anyting (not the manual, nor the connection guide unless I overlooked). Can anyone explain: is it just one outpu of each psu going each to either the anolgue or digital input in the ND555?

Iver

This helped me move from ‘hypothetical’ to ‘life’s too short’.

G

G

I saw that one @GraemeH ; thanks. My question is rather on the PSU side. What goes out from which connector there?
Iver

With 2 x 555PS you use one Burndy out from each PS. Digital 1 out from one supply and Digital 2 out from the other supply.

G

1 Like

You’re screwed.

5 Likes

Ahh, that what I wanted to know
Thank you so much @GraemeH

1 Like

Thanks (I think) for pointing me to this thread.

2 Likes

My 500 was dr’d 5 years ago.
Is the transformer replaced when this upgrade is done?
Sorry to divert from the thread
David

No the power supply doesn’t even get looked at. With amps all the dr’ing is on the amplifier side and not power supply.
You don’t even send the 500 power supply off in the dr upgrade unless you are getting it serviced at the same time and paying extra.

Does anyone know what was replaced in a 555PS when it got DR’d?

Thanks

G

No…but I can see mine having to go back…mine was done 4yrs ago…she is extremly grumbly… I am going to update my mains supply to see if that helps… I had a full service as well…but that is only the caps and some resistors…

All my othere units are vertually silent…

A non-DR version:

A DR version - note the LHS changes, with what I understand are the DR boards?

1 Like

Everything looks different in the picture! Even the transformer unless they took the stickers off and made the centre shiny! All the wiring looks to be different and laid out slightly differently as well!

1 Like

@Dunc seems weird that the 555PS, Supercap, Hicap, XPS etc are all power supplies and DR’d but for the 500/300/552 etc its only the head unit? Makes more sense to me if it were the other way round…