ND555 + 2 x 555PSDR

This helped me move from ‘hypothetical’ to ‘life’s too short’.

G

G

I saw that one @GraemeH ; thanks. My question is rather on the PSU side. What goes out from which connector there?
Iver

With 2 x 555PS you use one Burndy out from each PS. Digital 1 out from one supply and Digital 2 out from the other supply.

G

1 Like

You’re screwed.

5 Likes

Ahh, that what I wanted to know
Thank you so much @GraemeH

1 Like

Thanks (I think) for pointing me to this thread.

2 Likes

My 500 was dr’d 5 years ago.
Is the transformer replaced when this upgrade is done?
Sorry to divert from the thread
David

No the power supply doesn’t even get looked at. With amps all the dr’ing is on the amplifier side and not power supply.
You don’t even send the 500 power supply off in the dr upgrade unless you are getting it serviced at the same time and paying extra.

Does anyone know what was replaced in a 555PS when it got DR’d?

Thanks

G

No…but I can see mine having to go back…mine was done 4yrs ago…she is extremly grumbly… I am going to update my mains supply to see if that helps… I had a full service as well…but that is only the caps and some resistors…

All my othere units are vertually silent…

A non-DR version:

A DR version - note the LHS changes, with what I understand are the DR boards?

1 Like

Everything looks different in the picture! Even the transformer unless they took the stickers off and made the centre shiny! All the wiring looks to be different and laid out slightly differently as well!

1 Like

@Dunc seems weird that the 555PS, Supercap, Hicap, XPS etc are all power supplies and DR’d but for the 500/300/552 etc its only the head unit? Makes more sense to me if it were the other way round…

I’ve adjusted my words – these aren’t the same piece of kit just lifted pics.

The key aspect is what the DR version changes are.

1 Like

I sent everything off when I got my kit DRd but. I was also getting it all serviced. It seemed daft not to get it all done at the same time.

What is likely to need servicing in a transformer, though, even after 15 years?

@HappyListener probably my mistake not reading fully! That makes more sense now! Still a lot of changes mind you. I wonder what happens to the old parts…

You did read OK – I was aiming for (over) brevity, badly :grin:

IIRC (it’s been asked before), Naim keep the old parts, as they don’t want people building Franken-Naims. With some kit, you can ask for some parts back.

I have a CD5XS and also a CDS3/XPS dr. I would like to hear [that is LISTEN to] how the CD 555 player improves on the CDS3 sound wise [I realize its about twice as expensive]. Same power supply and PCM chip in both. Perhaps its the analog board.