ND555 at Olive System

I’ve just returned my dealers PN. However, my issue was that the PN bumped the bass too much and just unbalanced the system. Everything became a bit bass heavy and started to become noticeable on every track. I would have liked to have seen if this evened out over time, as their was definitely a quality to the sound that I’ve not heard before.

I would also like to give the Farrad a go just to see for myself.

1 Like

Bass uplift is exactly my major need, I felt the same - it developed more of it during break in.
Maybe also my ears adapt.

That what I would have liked to ask you @Geko
Do you feel the same effect with PN as with lhy. I think not. Here is speed and room and something special without almost Vinyl like mids. In my case a major uplift

Had a friend came by yesterday… he is not into hifi but likes music. With new nd555 (and ee8) the first time ever he commented „too much“. All in front is a bit stressful. I loved it and was a bit surprised with his comment. Was a bit hard for me to understand as I loved nd555.
When the first tone came through PN I instantly thought… „this could have been his point“

He confirmed it yesterday - now it is relaxed and he loves listening again.

Silly question ahead
Do you pull the Ethernet plugs till the end into the connector (I do so)
Or pull them a bit put to let the floating naim like.

Actually I don’t find the SMPS that stressful. I find it very even-handed with all frequencies, with a very well balanced image that still manages to keep everything separated when things get quite complex. The PN was more accurate with timbres and much darker in tone, which tended to give everything a slightly calmer sound. There was definitely a quality about it that I’ve not heard before. All the LPS’s I tried either sounded slow, messed with the high frequencies or sounded a bit phasey

I just click them in. Out of curiosity have you tried Catsnake?

Can someone please calm me down… again… :frowning:
All fine with PN

The accident happened for the first time.
Switching from vinyl to streamer - forgetting to adjust volume.
Thankfully no loud part of music. But too loud.

Checked the SBL tweeter and woofer - looked ok. No bad smell.
Made several listening texts - voices and piano. Bass tracks.
All fine sounding like before. Not any distortion…
Sounding as perfect as yesterday.

If there has been any damage - I should have known instantly… correct?

Please be careful with your answer … it is Drago-time :o/

Good… here the same. All should be good. Playing things too loud - #7 by Innocent_Bystander

Can I calm down? … sorry! I am nuts

Sounding very good.
Is there still a chance that I have damaged something? Crossover? :frowning:

My mind is playing tricks … looking for new loudspeakers :roll_eyes: :joy:
But SBL … I think that I have noticed Amy damage in chassis or crossover.

Damage from excessive volume would be audible (and highly unlikely to be visible). Audible would be either distortion, or a rasping/rubbing sound.

Brief overload unless extreme rarely damages things. Extreme would be likely be things like disconnecting/connecting a source with volume turned up, or disconnecting/connecting the interconnect between pre and power amp while the power amp is powered up.

1 Like

Thank you sooo much @Innocent_Bystander. I slept badly because of this… :roll_eyes:

If I understand correctly… even if it was too loud for a split second and maybe not clear in sound at this volume (could not remember as I paused in immediately) it rarely damage things.
If damaged…
I would have known by now. Distortions, rasping or even no sound from e.g. Tweeter.
And damage also includes the crossover? If damaged here, I would have heared it also?

So there is no degradation in sound likely - which especially I can bring up in mind very easy. Damage to crossover and speaker is not subtle - once happened … you will know

Summing up. As my SBLs sounds fine with no audible distortion no damage has happened to speakers or crossover. Correct?

Sorry for freaking out (again) but with PN I really balanced the system so that I think there is a sweet spot, which I really like to keep a bit.
Damaged LS would not be very compliant to this… :expressionless:

1 Like

In essence, correct.

1 Like

Thanks a lot - had a call to my dealer (PN Topic) and asked him.
He pictured its the exact same way.
No problem - if only a moment… You will hear instantly if there is any damage. When the crossover blows - there is at least no sound or massive distortion on one Loudspeaker. And the crossover is more resistant and normally does not blow first.

Quote: “this (switching to loud channel) has happened a lot during my hifi career - never had any damage in LS.”

This does not mean, that in will do this every evening.

PS: Checked the woofer via woofer test and they are floating as before - no cracking :slight_smile:

THANKS to @Innocent_Bystander Made my day/week!

I thought you had that problem

IMG_2360

4 Likes

It’s a pleasure. I have personally had two instances blowing speakers: One when the moving coil input stage of a preamp went into oscillation while playing very loud – despite dashing for the volume control, one speaker’s woofer voice coil had buckled with the heat, and although it still played it was accompanied by a noticeable rasping sound as the coil scraped the sides of the magnet gap. The other when I inadvertently powered on my DAC with the amp already on, the resultant very loud pop damaging a midtange drive unit, which then distorted very noticeably at certain frequencies.

1 Like

The beginning of a very good movie :grinning:

1 Like

@drago to further reassure you, I managed to set fire to one set of older Sony speakers playing them at at outside BBQ with the amp on full volume for maybe 10 hours before they died and then it was only one of them. I also blew a tweeter on a pair of Focals some years back by playing music in a room so it could be heard outside. The volume was so loud I had to cover my ears while in the room. Maybe 2 o’clock on the dial or more.

I have had SBL’s and NEVER have they objected to a bit of volume going through them.

If the speakers are damaged you can tell. You CAN tell!!! Never worry again because if it sounds fine it is!!

1 Like

Thank you so much - my world is back in order.
My mind has played bad tricks yesterday. Suddenly sound was different - but it wasn’t as ears told … but mind was mighty.

Love the sound sooo much.
Think I have a sweetspot now… this is hard to achieve when climbing up the ladder as you all might know

I know - must be strange … feeding nd555 /52/135 into SBL (mk1 actually) … but SBL is … it is special… very addictive.
The woofers look like new … even they are really not.

Always looking for the next situation spending money…
@frenchrooster
What about melco HA-N1ZS 20/2BK

Is ssd better than hdd? My dealer told different - he recommended the hdd.
Is the one mentioned above the one without ex?

You pay much more for ssd and it’s not sure it’s better. Some prefer hdd.

1 Like

THANKS @frenchrooster

Have an offer for:

n10H50
and
n1zh60EX

price is not so far different - 1.4k difference…
Tending a bit towards n1zh… but there is no LPS inside… and this was a big deal with PN

Read somewhere that the n10 has a more narrow presentation - like it, when it is broad :grinning: