ND555 curent wisdom - simple set up

Unfortunately, it probably does :sunglasses:

Hi Elfer

I have been through a similar journey, but taking the separate steps.

I started with an ND555 and a Core and then;

1. added EE8 router - clear improvement
  2. changed the EE8 to a Melco S100 router - improvement, but more subtle than adding the EE8
  3. changed the Core with a Melco N10 - clear improvement both for streaming from Qobuz/Tidal and playing ripped CDs

Current set-up for streaming is S100 to N10 to ND555. Cables are SarumT, and sound quality is excellent!

For the N10 I also have the D100 for ripping disks. Works very well.

The problem with the rips from Core being used elsewhere is the metadata (at least for WAV-files), but I guess that can be fixed with SongKong or similar.

I use the Naim app for playing - both from Qobus/Tidal and the N10. When I had the Core, searching in the Naim App would include music on the Core.

Best of luck finding your solution!

Thomas

1 Like

Thanks Thomas, thats very helpful.

It seems my current thinking is pretty much aligned with your findings but Im curious about your ethernet set up, given such clear benefits by adding the EE8/S100. Is your ethernet cable dedicated or does it route through switch which is shared with other devices? Im my case its a dedicated cable from the ISP router to the wall by the hifi so I wonder if the same benefits are likely/possible.

At the end of the day I suppose thats a relatively minor item to assess but given the potential sound quality improvement, it might be something to consider sooner rather than later.

You’re router contains a switch which won’t be as good as the EE8 proposed so yes, you’d still get the benefit.

1 Like

Thanks Buryfc, that makes sense.

By the way, I lived on Redvales as a child, a stones throw from Gigg Lane…

Thanks.

In my setup, I have an ethernet cable from the ISP router to the living room where the hifi system is. The ethernet cable goes to an Orbi router, with another cable to the S100. I have the possibility to have a separate cable directly to the S100, so I will test that. I think the added benefit of the S100 (and probably also the EE8) is to separate noise from other sources/cables, so perhaps you do not need that.

I do not know exactly how the N10 works, but streaming from Qobuz/Tidal had a clear lift in SQ when I added that. It has a single port in (from the S100 in my set up) and a single port out to the ND555, so I guess you could start there, without adding an EE8 or S100 between.

1 Like

Great, thanks Thomas.

I had the Unitserve, then Unitserve with Uptone JS2 power supply, then tried the Uniticore. Was on the same level vs the Unitserve/ JS2, a bit inferior however.
Then I had the Melco n1h2, still better vs all. But not night and day.
Finally the Melco N1z2, which is very clearly better, from the first minutes. A big step vs the Core.
I didn’t tried the Innuos. But I don’t need a ripper anymore.

2 Likes

Well looking at the new prices about to come in on the ND555 and power supply, I feel this even more opens up the door to other options that are now going to be cheaper and arguably better

Obviously you don’t have to accept that only unicorn-plated ethernet cables can deliver a good signal, or that a specific router is an absolute minimum even to be able to hear the music.

Try this. An ND555 with 1 x PS555. Music as you say is from Qobuz which covers nearly all bases and a NAS with your own music if required. Mine is a Seagate drive with a Rasbperry Pi running Asset UPnP. That’s not an IT project, at most a couple of hours following the simple instructions to get it running. Engage the services of a teenager if you find that a better way.

Run a single length of ethernet from your source router to a separate router from which you connect your NAS, Pi and ND. I use a Cisco as that was what all the clamour was a couple of years ago, but tbh I didn’t notice any great improvement over the Netgear switch that was there before.

That’s about it. It takes a bit of setting up but once it’s in place it just works. For everyone who has a moan about firmware updates on here there are a load more who just do it and everything continues to work, just like Windows Updates do for the majority.

Once it’s working, enjoy it and then maybe next year start to worry if having 96% of its potential is enough, or do you need to engage with every theory on here about how to get that last few %. Personally I’d rather enjoy it for what it is. The room limitations outweigh any further improvements I might wring from it tbh.

3 Likes

Thanks FR, the N1z2 with SSD is what I had my eye on. It seems than many, like you, have found significant benefits in improving this link in the chain so I hope to take advantage of all that trial and error and just jump straight to it !

1 Like

I wonder if Innuos will come up with streamer in the Linn/Naim high end market……could be interesting.

CDS3 and 555 PS sound sublime however value of CDS is now rock bottom due to lack of laser mechs. Most people on this forum with inoperable units have 10 years or less on their CD players. Something to consider…

2 Likes

Thanks, Im happy enough with what I need as a minimum, I just wanted to add the “no brainer” tried and tested significant improvements right away.

My technical capabilities are certainly enough to set up a NAS but if swapping that out for Melco/Innous brings real improvements, I would rather jump straight to that. There does seem to be a lot of confirmation (here and elsewhere) that there is a real benefit to be had by upgrading this area, with both local and external streaming.

An additional router/switch seems to be a bit more subjective so Im thinking its more likely to be system/set up dependent. I think that is something to perhaps look into later.

Lots of great sounding, up to date kit to choose from and this market is moving fast and actually getting cheaper, as in kit getting better sounding at much lower levels

2 Likes

Exactly, that is part of my thinking. I can continue to use the CDS3 in a second system but take advantage of the current 2019 prices and a dealer discount to upgrade and somewhat future proof my source. I had a look again this morning at ex demo and used ND555/555PS on offer and the best I could come up with (by the time it arrived to me - Brexit and all…) was for 2018 equipment being within 1000 GBP of what I would be paying for brand new.

CDS3 values haven’t dropped. Saw one for £1750 today. Bought mine for about £1600 2 years ago or so.

2 Likes

I agree Dunc. I think this is an area where technology is moving quickly and will result in the current tech coming down in price. I guess its like buying a new computer, you just buy the best you can afford at the time, hoping it will be relevant for as long as possible. At the same time, you know the same spec will be cheaper or there will be something better for the same price in the near future.

Regarding other kit, everyone has a different perspective on these thing I suppose. In my case for example, I am away from home for 7 months of the year so when Im home, I really don’t want to dedicate time and resources to experimentation any more than absolutely necessary - I value my spare time and would choose to pay more for an item so I can allocate my time to something else.

1 Like

It is one of those. Been the subject of forum threads here and otherwise for years. Too much to re-hash!

There are some advantages to each option. I’d say you can’t go “wrong” with one of the more modest priced hi fi focused servers. But I would really try to listen for yourself before you convince yourself that spending many thousands of $$$ or Pounds Sterling or Euros on a server box is getting you something that sounds better than a nas / nucleus type box over ethernet.

I have convinced myself by listening that there is some benefit to improving the ethernet signal path immediately upstream of my ND555; that a “hi fi switch” can help. But I’ve not bought into expensive servers. Everyone hears what they hear and gets to make up their own mind!

2 Likes

The Innuos PhoenixNet gave similar improvements or even more vs the Melco n1z2. If compared vs the Cisco switch I had before.
I feel that the best upgrade for you, as you need also a ripper, would be the Innuos Zenith 3 and Innuos PhoenixNet. And you can have the Innuos Sense app which uplifts still the sound and a great interface as a bonus.

1 Like