ND555 curent wisdom - simple set up

Point I am trying to make is don’t worry, there are other options and don’t need to go to ND555 and 555PS all of a sudden. Unless of course you want to!

1 Like

Oh yes!!

1 Like

You’ve got an NDS though! Are you buying an ND555?

In for a penny in for a pound. I think NDX2 would be a sideways move at best and if I’m going to make a change, I would rather maximise on the available opportunities. The cost is manageable, I just want to get it as right as possible from the start and avoid never ending faff…

2 Likes

If you have the funds then the ND555 with 555PSDR will be truly wonderful.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, I do appreciate you highlighting sensible alternatives :+1:

1 Like

For some people the process of setting up a nas and ripping cd’s and editing metadata and moving the files to the nas is just not of interest. Thus there is a good market for these ‘all in one’ ripper/storage/server boxes.

It can seem like a daunting process for those not comfortable with ‘computer stuff’ and thus something like the Melco has its place for some people. We all tolerate this stuff differently.

2 Likes

I would like too. But no budget for now. I will probably go to UK and buy a second hand one in maybe 1 year or 2. I think they can’t ship from UK , so I will have to go there.

1 Like

Hi @Bart

I understand that argument of easy-non-it-processing; makes sense. I am less convinced on the sound quality argument. Tried an Aurender recently but couldn’t hear the value add

Iver

I’d like one too. Same situation not for budget right now. NDS and 555PS is formidable combination in it’s own right!

2 Likes

I’m thinking let the prices come down a fair bit used.

I think a simple and good setup would be to use a decent switch between the wall Ethernet plug and the ND555 with decent Ethernet cables wall to switch and switch to ND555. I use the Chord EE8 switch and Shawline cables - which are a reasonable cost, but have the Signature Aray on the last cable to my NDX2 that I got second hand.

I use a Uniti Core for CD ripping and plug that directly into the EE8 switch. It’s very easy to use and is well integrated into the Naim eco-system, so it definitely fits the bill for being IT easy.

There is more you can fluff around with later, but that will get you up and running with a pretty top end set up and is pretty much plug and go.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I went down the (long) path from vinyl and CD to a Uniti Serve and streaming; now with an ND555. My Userve is rarely played these days as the streaming (Tidal) and radio options are so vast and the sound quality is so good.
As several other responders in this thread have said…
If you want a simple solution within the Naim ecosystem, go with the Core along with a good quality router and cabling - the sound will be great. It is simple to setup and the Naim app controls everything.

2 Likes

I was considering the Melco not only for ease of use but also for sound quality - it seems to be generally preferred vs a NAS, Core, Innous etc. Do you think there is no sound quality benefit to Melco vs NAS? (Hope that’s not one of those can of worms questions…)

Thinking out loud, I guess for the price of the Melco and ripper, the Innuos Statement is also an option, with Roon capabilities if I ever decide to go that way. Back to the question about best sound quality and what does it bring to the party vs a simple NAS (other than Roon of course)

I am another happy nd555 plus core user. Previously had userve and core is really very different. Never had any problems with it. Fit and forget and all in the naim ecosystem.

Br Lars

3 Likes

I wasn’t that impressed by the SQ of the Core, preferring a QNAP fanless NAS. The Core does, however, have the convenience/all-in-one advantage for ripping. The Melco servers and switch have not impressed me much either. The Innuos models are in another class in my opinion.

The big question for you, I think, is how much money are you prepared to pay now for your journey down the rabbit hole? The ND555 really sounds very nice without special extras, but they all make a difference. You could add the Innuos switch for a big jump and maybe a Zen mini for convenience, adding the PSU later or go straight for a Zenith. But that’s just my ears… And it becomes a difficult matter at some point to decide whether to not spend too much at that end and instead splash out on a second 555PS.

Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the Core based on my UnitiServe experience. Several have suggested this option now so there’s food for thought. Neat, hopefully more reliable than the unitiserve but cheaper than the Melco. as long as it’s not a pain to move things around and play the ripped tracks on non Naim devices.

Is the sound quality as good as Melco though ?

Hi Elfer
I have never heard a melco so would not know if SQ is different. Just know nd555 and core sounds excellent. I dont use my rips on other devices, use tidal streaming on the go. Others have posted that they can make it work eg having flac on core, but I have no experience.
Reason I went for core was simplicity. All just works and connects via my cisco switch. Its something to consider …
Good luck, good times ahead w nd555, truly amazing source.
Br Lars

1 Like

Excellent points Michael. I’m willing to spend for the “big jumps” and that’s really what I want to capture up front. If there’s no big jump between using a Melco or Innuos vs a regular NAS, I’m happy to stay with a NAS. If there is a clear improvement (which was my understanding), then that would be my path. I’m making an assumption that the system with ND555 will easily reveal any differences. I see you went for the Innuos Statement, can I ask why?

I think I’m clear on what I need but I’m still not clear on what’s definitely beneficial versus what might be beneficial under some circumstances vs what might provide subtle nuance. I would like to cover the needs and the definitely beneficial, the rest can wait.

A second PS will likely follow at a later date.