ND555 firmware update to 3.4.0, sound quality

The factory reset is still possible as for the older streamers ? Some have done a factory reset which improved the sound of their update. ( after usb update).

2 Likes

Such an update might indeed be a surprise.
Whether it as good one or not depends on your expectations.

As for me, I like to listen to what is in the record.

A good DAC system should be able to retrieve as much information as possible and present it in a musical and enjoyable way.

I loved the ND555 for its capacity to present music in a natural and organic way.

…But not for its capacity to retrieve information from the streamed files. There are DAC systems on the market (same price tag) doing a better job.

The update brought the ND555 to another level.
Now we have it nearly all.

For me, that update, was a very positive surprise!

I’m delighted :partying_face:

4 Likes

For me it’s mostly been positive, the increased scale and space suiting my NBLs and there is no loss of flow. When I set up the system with the ND555 in the first instance I spent quite some time experimenting with plug order to find the most coherent, it seemed to have a quite marked effect (with a string quartet the sense of the musicians playing off each other is very much there, if the music should swing it really swings, emotional impact is communicated well but there’s nothing syrupy about it), both digital and vinyl benefit from this. Later, fairly limited experiments with network cables has resulted in a further enhancement of this aspect for the ND555. The FW update has played into this and brought the ND closer to what I enjoy from my vinyl (which is back together with freshly serviced superline). I did hear one rip with a very promnenant cymbal that had me checking my cable dressing. Excessive ringing has often been cured by making sure the Hiline isn’t touching anything and this time it was resting on an SPdif cable from the DVD5, now it isn’t. I’ve not heard anything else that struck me as wrong but time will tell.

2 Likes

Just listened to the Mozart on my Bluesound Node 2i via Amazon HD - sounds terrific. Cannot imagine what the transformed ND555 must sound like.

2 Likes

As suggested, I have powered down and done a factory reset - unfortunately no change! With all the positive feedback about the update I’m wondering how come I’m the only one experiencing change ‘for the worse’ - it’s not subtle - other family members have commented too! I’ve checked all system related ‘usuals’ and everything exactly as it was before I updated. The thing that upsets me is that I spent an awful lot of money and time building a system that I loved around the ND555 and in a five minute update it’s gone! If I can’t roll back to previous version (Naim don’t allow it) I would try re-installing the new version 3.4 - that can’t be done over internet either with the update methodology built in to the ND555.

1 Like

Hi, I would suggest that you talk to your dealer about this. They are there to support you, and can liaise with Naim, as well as helping you to determine whether the changes you hear are similar to other units.
I understand Naim are under pressure from the likes of Apple and Google not to allow people to use old firmware which includes their services, i.e. AirPlay and Chromecast. This was not an issue with the old streamers, so reverting to old versions on them was straightforward.
For me (on NDX2) this update was an improvement, which seems to be the majority view here, but if you’re not happy, lets hope you can reach a resolution.

3 Likes

Link to my comment on a similar thread;

I recently bought an ndx2 and asked Jason ref any particular settings etc to use to get the best out of it; this was his reply. I’m not suggesting this will resolve your issue, but it’s possible that we all have our streamers set up differently. Without Jason’s recommendations I would have disabled Bluetooth and server, and others as I don’t need them.

2 Likes

Well if the new software has increased detail it could now be back in the running for me, as before i found it a bit lacking compared to Others.

2 Likes

Sorry to read your disappointment, the ND555 is indeed an expensive piece of kit.

A more resolving system can be disturbing, especially if you’re used to a smoother presentation.

And, by smooth, I mean with less of what actually is in the record.

For me, that lack of details was a problem. I even was thinking about trying something else (Chord, dCS, etc.)

But, of course, if for you that change is for the worse then your disappointment is very much understandable.

You could try placing differently your speakers or/and sitting positions. That might be of some help.

If not, then installing an old version of the firmware could be the only solution. But that would mean being stuck with a version of the firmware and not having the benefit of future updates…

I suppose the thing to do would be to contact your dealer, or Naim. They might provide with an alternative solution.

2 Likes

What is your system, cables, powerblock? If I may ask.

That’s a strange decision from Apple & Google. So effectively saying they don’t want their services to accessed via decent streamers? Are they planning to build their own?

You gave to jump through an awful lot of hoops to get Apple certification, and they are uncompromising. You either do exactly as they ask, or you don’t get it.
With the old streamers, Naim chose not to bother, which seemed sensible to me for a company that prioritises sound quality over convenience.

1 Like

Maybe Naim should think about providing the user to select different filter options, like DCS does with the Bartök. That way each listener can choose what “sound” they prefer, instead of alienating a portion of your customers. I’m guessing Naim went from a slow roll off filter to one that is much sharper.

Of course I can envision that opening up a can of worms and numerous threads with which filter option sounds the best.

A reduced sound stage is the opposite of what I’m getting.
@Merlin
Since the ND555 is the only item listed under system I presume the rest is not Naim. Hopefully you won’t get shot down in flames for revealing what, assuming it doesn’t break forum rules, and you might have an outside chance of some useful input.

Here is another most appreciable improvement brought by the firmware update: piano reproduction!

Attack, decay, piano resonances, and all those small details that make the piano reproduction more realistic have been improved.

The perception of the piano in the soundstage in now clearer and deeper (yes, there is a soundstage even with a single instrument).

Those two albums greatly benefit from the update, especially the Arcadi Volodos’ Schubert.

An overall great uplift for my system :partying_face:

1 Like

Although I’m only using a Nova, I’m in the doesn’t sound as good camp. For the first time everything sounds more closed in and muddled and the shrill top end is back. I’ve done various resets and and will later try an earlier version (3.1 I think) I have after 3.2 was released, which I also didn’t get on with. 3.3 was good. It’s a real issue for me and at a time I’m working out my next upgrade it puts me off sticking with Naim.

I’ve just done the update to both ND555 and iOS. Immediate impressions were not good, it sounding slightly distorted on piano and across midrange in general. However, something I learnt in the Beta phase was to give it time before making a final judgement on SQ. This is something I believe @Darkebear advocates too.

One thing I have noticed is that I’m still seeing the Beta widget on the app home screen. So if I’m using the release version of the app and then close the iPad and restart through the widget it opens another (beta) version of the app. Does anyone know if there any way to have the widget linked to the release version?

1 Like

I must admit I’ve never tried that on my NDX2.

Ah! yes frenchrooster, my system…When I joined I entered ND555 and then ‘return’ to start a new line which took me to the next box! - not figured out how to edit my system details! Jeff Rowland Corus pre-amp, Jeff Rowland 625S2 power amp, Atlas Mavros Grun interconnect & speaker cable, Uniti Core, Cisco 2960, Chord Music from 2960 to ND555, Naim Powerlines throughout, Marten Miles 5 speakers, Naim Fraim with various Isoacoustics Orea and Gaia isolators, Musicworks power block. I ended up with this having gone through SuperUniti, 272/555DR/300, 252/300/NDX/555DR etc. This update is the first time it’s taken a backward step!

2 Likes

Can’t talk about the betas or the ND555, but if you have a copy of the older Uniti firmware you can but Naim don’t make them downloadable.

A couple of firmware updates on the Nova really killed my enjoyment - from being immersive to sounding like background music whereas others loved the change. I kept reverting to 2.3.8574 from 2007 foregoing any feature improvements - then a release or two ago I could barely tell the difference and improved UPnP really made me stick with the new one.

In another thread with the latest update I immediately found masses more detail/high end and was struck by subtle rhythmical nuances coming through on albums I was very accustomed too. After some time however I felt it lacked warmth and was too clinical - Hannah Reid’s vocal was very clearly etched out in the soundstage but somehow lacking emotion I was accustomed to. Reverted to the old firmware and the ‘soul’ came back.

Next day I updated again and felt streaming Qobuz was miles ahead of the 24 bit FLAC on a USB stick in the Nova - weird (unless QObuz was giving me a different hi-res file a couple of years after buying the album?). Streaming from my old WD NAS the same purchased FLAC file was quite different again.

Thought I was onto something, then suddenly all seemed to stabilise and they sounded pretty similar and the warmth/enjoyment was back.

All very very odd, and I have to wonder if it’s more down to electrical factors beyond my control in the domestic environment as I increasingly realise music is better in the daytime, and goes ‘off’ when everyone arrives home from school/work in the late afternoon/early evening.

Frankly it’s bizarre how system sound can fluctuate so much, is it all our changing perception and mood?

That said firmware updates can affect sound quality, we’ve established this, Household Naim has excellent comments above, and sadly it’s just not possible to satisfy everyone with a firmware induced sonic character change due to a multitude of factors, not least different systems.

1 Like