ND555 firmware update to 3.4.0, sound quality

Within tolerance of that component yet… Naim often design within component tolerances which is why they get the performance they do…
The other thing is the feedback circuitry for the clock oscillator around the crystal… alas I don’t have a copy of the slides that Naim have shown me about this crucial element when I visited the factory… and this is one of the advancements in the newer streamers over the legacy models.
Because of this lead time to quiescent operation, Naim have developed advanced standby circuitry that keeps sensitive circuitry powered
I now in other areas outside of Hi-Fi digital audio I have kept precision clocks always powered as well so as to provide optimum stability and reduce sidebands (jitter). Clock oscillators are one of the more temperature finicky components I am aware of.

Having searched this thread, there’s been very little reporting by ND5 XS2 owners. I use Roon, so I don’t need update to integrate Qobuz, but am curious as to whether there will be an effect on SQ. Amp is Nait XS2. I have held off updating as I like current SQ (but it can always better — or worse).

Also, I gather that it is possible to revert to the immediately preceding firmware if you don’t like the update, but don’t know how to do this.

Thanks for any responses.

1 Like

You can’t revert firmware easily. You have to moan to Naim about it and they may or may not send you a link to the older firmware with a big caveat of support for it being an issue.

@Gromit1 When I first noticed the SQ upgrade I was posting where appropriate about it trying to confirm what I was hearing and that I wasn’t “hearing things”. I think most of the FW update questions/comments I’ve found have been consolidated to this thread.
FWIW my system is like yours (different speakers and I have a HiCapDR, Hi-Line DIN5). In the context of my “modest” system the FW update has made me re-listen to my favorite tracks/albums. In short its fantastic. My findings mirror @Thomas comments. For me it was an obvious upgrade no question about it(my ears/system). The title of this thread may have prevented NDX2/ND5XS2 users from posting here…

Thanks, very helpful.

1 Like

No problem. Early comments I found were in this thread it also has a few NDX2 users

Doesn’t appear to be an issue for anyone running a streamer from the Scottish company, as all earlier versions of firmware are accessible, allowing users to revert to the version their ears prefer. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Naim will obviously make their own commercial call on this - I think it will reassure their Customers contemplating an expensive product purchase.

I’m obviously fine with this version as a substantial upgrade - but perhaps in future I will be among the few wanting to roll-back and wait until another upgrade meets what I need.

Why I suggested it as a nice feature to include at some point ahead.
If I were Naim I’d be quietly working on it already. It is just managing populating a Naim App scroll-bar item menu, managed from a remote database that contains the Firmware code with a cross-ref to compatibility with what the App lists as the customer’s streamer.

DB.

1 Like

It is only now that I have had an opportunity to listen for several hours since this update, and I am really surprised at how such a great component could be so improved by a software change.
There are other parts of the forest where I would be told I was imagining it, especially without the facility to ‘Blind Test’ the difference.
What the hell! Even if I am only imagining it, I have a smile on my face, and the occasional tear in my eye…

8 Likes

Yup, this is a fantastic update (ndx2). Merlin, there’s something else going on. Nd555 should not have any problems.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a big uplift with the NDX2/XPS DR. But I’m also running in new certified boutique streaming cables :sunglasses::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Which one?

Chord Signature from the switch to the NDX2, and Chord Shawline from the Core to another switch in a separate room. I also replaced the switches, when my Apple Time Capsule was dying.

1 Like

This had always already a good bass entry, but now after the upgrade the intro has become completely immersive

4 Likes

The second track seems even better, particularly drums and double bass.

Phil

1 Like

Hi Bert,

Just listened to the 1st and 2nd tracks.

Sorry to say that, but didn’t like it.

Music is nice.
But I very much dislike the mastering and/or recording.

The thing with Magico speakers is that there are transparent.

They are WYGIWYG speakers (What You Give Is What You Get).

This means that not only you hear the instruments but also the acoustic environment, which is a delightful experience with classical music.

But, sometimes, when instruments are recorded separately, or with added reverb during mastering, you get that strange feeling you’re listening to 2 or 3 different environments (stitched together during mastering).

As for nice Jazz recordings, I would suggest Polarity (tracks : “Revamp” and “Polarity”)

I just listened to it for the first time through the Magicos.

The recording is amazing! The soundstage is like an immense musical ghost between the speakers and far behind them. It’s like having the front wall disappearing.

2 Likes

Hi All,

REF: Firmware update policy

On a modern streaming platform that is actively supporting the latest standards (Chromecast, Airplay2 etc) it is vital to ensure we do regular updates to keep compatibility and for security patches. iOS, Android, the apps + their backend servers for the services are all updating and older protocols/standards are gradually being discontinued.

In the case of Chromecast it is a certification requirement that users can only upgrade, not back grade. Naturally we appreciate this can lead to friction if a given release has an issue and is why we have left the option via our support network to do a manual downgrade, to revert back to a given version while we sort the problem out.

In the case of the v3.4 release we updated to latest:

• Chromecast
  • Airplay2
  • Roon RAAT lib for native Roon ready.
  • Spotify eSDK3 - latest protocol standard + Spotify free support.
  • Added native Qobuz
  • Added latest VTuner extensions

Overall, all this work is to ensure the Naim streamers have a long service life and don’t get crippled from running on legacy protocols that are no longer supported by the streaming services/big tech companies.

Hope that clarifies the matter

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director

15 Likes

Didn’t mean to promote this album for it’s recording quality, I know it has it’s weaknesses from that angle. I just published it on the experienced change in quality of replay. And yes the Polarity album you talk about is a highlight of what is possible with good recording and mastering.
Don’t know the Magico’s that well. But I belief my Verity Audio Sarrastros are a great match to my Naim system, I have a very musical system, while not loosing any of the details.

1 Like

Indeed agreed I have the Fischer recordings of Mahler.

Very nice heads-up. Much appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like