ND555 firmware update to 3.4.0, sound quality

Yep, I would generally agree with that.

One aspect of PRaT that I believe the Nain DNA brings out is that ability to portray a band playing as one and enjoying themselves, but still with the quality that allows some air around individual instruments and vocals. It is a very tricky thing to achieve and Naim do this the best IMHO.

I would never claim that Naiver gear, or any other HiFi gear, is perfect at everything. The best you can hope for is a decent compromise. For me, Naim’s compromises suit my taste in music reproduction the best. As you say others will have a better soundstage and detail revival but very few have that elusive quality that Naim kit brings to your living room of cohesion, life and fun.

Which brings me on to version 3.4 of the firmware. I believe this version is even more revealing. That is more revealing of what has been recorded, and that can sometimes in turn be more revealing of how well a system has been set up and more revealing of the vagaries of an unbalanced system.

Some accuse 3.4 of introducing some top end harshness. But if you have listened to as much live music as I have, real instruments played, let’s say, assertively, can and do sound ‘edgy’ when the musician wants that effect. It’s the real deal. I don’t want my HiFi to round off any edges or sugar-coat these effects, I want to hear what the musician or vocalist wanted to communicate. And sometimes it can get edgy and ‘seat of your pants’. I like that.

3 Likes

We have made together an Ode to the Naim Sound :+1::innocent:

Sorry Nigel, you misinterpreted my Post. I was not saying that 3.4 was not an improvement. In fact quite the contrary is my position, based on the posts here. It seems folks like 3.4 much better than the version before it. The fact that 3.4 is an uplift to what came before, in my mind, suggest that the folks who went DAVE, DcS, etc based on the version before, were justified and just ahead of the curve.

3 Likes

Thanks frenchrooster - still Chinese whispers then…

G

1 Like

I had a slightly different experience which I tried to describe here:

–> ND555 firmware update to 3.4.0, sound quality

IMO, the 3.4 brings the ND555 to the 500 series level :wink:

Totally agree with you. Instruments and vocals are truly stunning in a Naim system. They are so real that all the time I feel that they are playing in my room. Few system can match the way Naim reproduces MUSIC .

5 Likes

I had a significantly different experience.

I had the opportunity to listen to all Soulution amps and almost all Magico speakers. And for more than 10 minutes.

I wouldn’t qualify those Soulution+Magico combos as cold or clinical, and certainly not tasteless.

I should have precised that it was only my opinion. I heard 3 times in different occasions the Soulution/ Magico combo and each time I was very disappointed.
The third time was on Friday, with Soulution 330 integrated, optional Soulution Dac, then Ayre Qx twenty top Dac, on entry level Magicos. I listened 10 minutes with each Dac, so longer that time.
The second time was one year ago, with top Soulution system and big Magico.
The first was at Hifi Show, top Soulution too.
Each time, same impressions.

1 Like

I wasn’t so much in the field of having issues with the ND555 before. While I do recognize a significant increase in sound quality. Now we have the specific sound qualities of Naim, and are not so far away from the absolute perfect retrieval of detail… a win win, and I am happy that I invested in the ND555 with two ps’s.

3 Likes

What exactly is a power on reset and are you suggesting that it routinely be performed after a firmware update?

Don’t get me wrong, I always liked the ND555. The way Naim presents music is rather enjoyable. That’s why I bought it in the first place :wink:

But this lack of details (which actually are on the record, and enhance the listening pleasure/experience) started to be disappointing, especially for a DAC/Streamer at this price point.

The 3.4 brings a lot, which is great and… expected for a 500 series streamer, I might say. I hope future firmware updates will add even more. A presentation somewhat more airy would be nice :smiley:

What did exactly the second 555PS bring to your system? Details, soundstage, separation?

1 Like

From the Naim website, NDX2 support tab:

1. When turning on the NDX 2 power supply, hold down the Play and Input selection buttons of the NDX 2, until the front panel display of the NDX 2 turns on, then release.

Warning: This will reset the music database and will delete all favourites and playlists. However it will not delete the music on your music stores.

The 2nd ps brings a lot of things…

1. More details
  2. More tonal accuracy
  3. Bass and high end extension
  4. Extension of the soundstage

It’s once you have heard it, something which you can’t live without anymore.

1 Like

Thanks Bert,

That’s what I thought…

Thank goodness I won’t be able to listen to such a system anytime soon.

But I have to admit that the idea of having an extended soundstage and being able to retrieve more details out of the recording is quite appealing! :star_struck:

On the other hand, having a 7 boxes system becomes being really messy.
I don’t like “messy” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely via uniti Nova.

Just get it, you need it with your love for chamber music

1 Like

You’re a tempter Bert :wink:

You know exactly what to say. Chamber music and classical music in general requires a great deal of details (or information retrieval) in order to somehow provide the illusion of the real thing.

I’ll probably end up with a second PS :joy:

But it won’t happen in 2020. The Magico S3 MkII were expensive, and the SPODs as well. Not to mention the last acoustic treatment modifications: the 14 GIK Monster Bass Traps I just bought… :woozy_face:

How’s your project of DRing the NAP500 ? :smile:

It will be the code execution timing… Naim can optimise how the code is executed to almost act like a tone control. It’s effectively state of the art noise shaping! I used to have some fascinating email exchanges with Trevor Wilson on the subject…

3 Likes

Thanks Simon! All I know is they did a fantastic job. I debated trying a 3rd party DAC but not anymore.

1 Like

Is it only the code execution timing change that induced such a sound improvement?

Don’t you think that at least part of the DSP code has changed as well?

To my hears, the change is quite impressive!

1 Like