ND555 HiLine vs Morgana Din-Din Outcome

Since I mentioned ‘seating’ - I’ve noticed that the plug can push in and not feel fully engaged enough to allow a proper ease back. When everything is absolutely aligned it pushes in very smoothly and allows a pull back and lock which feels just right. It took me a few goes even though I’ve used a number over the years.

Hope that helps explain.

G

1 Like

I’m assuming it’s about trying to minimise mechanical coupling between components via the cable. The pins have obviously got to make electrical contact with the socket but with minimal mechanical contact between plug and socket. On standard (non SNAIC) DIN plugs the recommendation is not locking the collars and pulling the plug back slightly after insertion to minimise the mechanical coupling between the plug and socket. On the Hi-Line this mechanical decoupling is enhanced by allowing the pin assembly to be loosely coupled to the outer housing and the outer housing itself decoupled from the cable via the flexible interlocking tail rather than the usual clamp and strain relief.

3 Likes

I have my HiLine in a continuous loop (unsupported) without it touching anything…plugs pulled back a smidge, centralised so the outer casing also feels loose and wobbly from it’s innards.

3 Likes

Can you describe what Ansuz cable or t the d2 cable brings to the party compared with chord music, other than removing a lot of money!
I have not dared asking my dealer or the Ansuz people about this.
Claus

1 Like

Compared to Musics, even more of the same…lower noise floor, more detail, etc. I’d rate Musics better than Ansuz A2 cables. I’ve never compared A2’s directly with Chord Sarum T’s.
If you invest in Ansuz, start with the power cable from the wall to a power distributor. Unless you put power first, everything else is a waste of money. Next get an Ansuz power distributor (A2 or better).
Next, if you are streaming music, put your best Ethernet cable between the switch and streamer/DAC.
Then DAC to preamp and then preamp to amp.
Pick and choose your upgrades. I put a D2 Ethernet between an Ansuz PowerSwitch and my ND555 while using Nordost Heimdall ethernets for the rest of my network.
Try to get home demos. Start with Power.
Ansuz prices can be insane. I have a friend who paid $40K for a three meter Ansuz power cable. He did that before worrying about the rest of his system.

:flushed: Investing 40k in new speakers or boxes would not have made a bigger difference?

1 Like

Ha, that’s how a cable agnostic thinks. Seriously, he already has really good speakers and now wants to make sure the rest of his system is up to snuff.
He does have a close connection to the guys from Denmark. He uses their speakers and amp.

I am not a cable agnostic, I use PowerLines throughout (Powerigel plus) and Chord Sarum T. But unless he already has 40k speakers and boxes, a power cable will not have this impact

Fortunately my mains is more or less sorted, ansuz c and d original version and the ansuz d2 mainz distributor. Currently I am working on upgrading to a naim streamer from my current ns01 ndac ps555 setup, so expensive switch and streamer will have to wait. Reading the huge thread on audiophile switches I am thinking about trying to start with wireless and looking out for good deals on a switch. My dealer is the main Ansuz seller in Denbmark and they have a lot of demo and second hand ansuz equipment on offer over time, but after spending much money on darkz and power I had hoped to get some time off from very expensive Ansuz tweaking.
Claus

I was only joking about being a cable agnostic.
He does have a serious investment in speakers and components. Most of it from the Danes.

You should consider the Ansuz PowerSwitch. It provides switching, power for your D2’s and more of what your Mainz distributor provides. You won’t need a power box for your D2 cable.

Oh ok. Well if the money is burning a hole, more fun for him :slight_smile:

After seeing the subtle, but real, improvement of the Phantoms compared to the NACA5, I received 10 days ago a Morgana Source (180 5-pin DIN) 1 meter cable to replace a Hiline bought a year ago, result … incredible opening of the soundstage, much more precision and impact on the whole spectrum!

This is valid for my ears and my black boxes (NDX2).

For the price, I will resell NACA5 and Hiline and I will still have some left!

3 Likes

I was lucky enough to find a sh Morgana (rca-din) but on my system, all the silver stretched the system to the bright side of the moon. Prefering by far my pure copper occ IC.

Try out a True Signal Audio cable.

I have the DIN-RCA from my NDS to Sim Audio Moon, and it was much better than the HiLine in similar configuration.

They use to make cables for Chord

The Morgana interconnect is pure copper……

It’s only the shielding that is silver plated

If you only read the quick description… you can assume that, here are the details from their website

Silver is everywhere, on the occ conductor, on the shielding and even on the ETI Research phono plugs (they don’t give details about the Din). Morgana is a silver witch.

Vocalists postures?
I’ve read it all now…

4 Likes

I am surprised you find it bright, definitely not bright at all in my system. My previous IC was Naim Lavender between DAC V1 and SN2 and I can say that the Morgana is even less bright than the lavender, not that the lavender is bright, but the Morgana is even less than that, if that makes sense. Moreover, for me this WH lead sounds absolutely sublime. I guess we all hear differently and other factors are to be considered as well.

It’s for sure system dependant, when I had a SN2 and ProAc, the system was also more silver tolerant while beeing far less resolving and warmer sounding (both helps a lot to hide the bad aspects of silver cabling).
The Naim Lavender has a good tonal balance and sounds full, it’s not bright, but a bit harsh in the upper frequencies. I agree, Morgana is not harsh sounding here, just brighter, thinner and dryer.