ND555 - how much better than NDS?

I initially found the ND555 much better than my CDS3, more detailed, more precise, more dynamic etc. and I’m sure I mentioned a couple of times how I preferred the ND. However, after spending more time with it, something seemed to be missing. The timing seemed slightly off and I felt the CDS3 had my foot tapping more often.

Since I had already taken the plunge with the ND, I stayed on that path and went for a second PS. That improved the timing significantly and it is still improving.

For the ND555 to really make sense to me, it needed a second PS. With a single PS, it was better than my CSD3 in many ways but I am not sure I enjoyed it more. The second PS changes that but it also takes it to €40k and into the realms of much stiffer competition - most of which I have not listened to.

5 Likes

I found the same…the second supply makes all the difference…

3 Likes

Just goes to show how systems and rooms have a huge influence. Just tried this track out of curiosity to see how my NDS performed. Listened to the track with Qobuz. There are three versions, the one from The Littlest Birds 1 has both vocals more central in the mix than the other two versions, if anyone whats to give it a test. With this particular version I didn’t have any problems picking up both voices through most of the song. The other two versions have the voices pretty much seperate in the mix.
Never heard an ND555 and probably wouldn’t want to, way too much for me. Really happy with my NDS.
Sorry Stu, I know this doesn’t answer your question.
Spud.

5 Likes

Both voices clear, sweet and separate with my NDX and Spotify! Not quite my musical taste but an interesting track.

I was reading the thread and I decided to give a try to this theme song in Tidal HiRes (CD level), thinking that, given the qualities of ND555, and even the NDS, that you all describe, in my desktop system I could neither enjoy it nor hear clearly those different layers of both voices you describe.

However, it has been a pleasant surprise not only to be able to enjoy the theme but to hear with perfect clarity and timing, to my ears, the different layers you note.

My desktop system consists of Lenovo All In One > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Wadia 151PowerDac mini > QED Signature Revelation > ProAc Tablette 10 SE.

My corollary, increasingly, is that it is not necessary to invest a real fortune to enjoy the music well reproduced, and, above all, that it is not happier who has more but who wants less.

The best of the New Year for you all, also awareness.

9 Likes

I did find one to be enough. It was better with two but I was also having to sacrifice some shelf space as a result. I missed my Supercap DR on the Superline so sold off one of the PS’s. I haven’t missed it and have much more enjoyed having the supercap back on the superline.

3 Likes

Thanks @dunc. Maybe this year i’ll have an opportunity to demo one. A dealer for DCS is about an hour and a half away and won’t let me take one home to see how it sounds. I don’t feel like making a transition to a piece like that without listening on my system first.

In my experience not missing something is the tell.
As we all get the honeymoon period with gear we buy, myself including. But after about 2 weeks remove it and see how you get on.
Even better with 2 555ps in the mix, you could ask someone to one day just plug it back in to one ps and not say anything to you, and see if you notice. Now that could be very interesting, but i bet not many would want to do it.

2 Likes

You must take it home to try for a few weeks, if when you finally hear one you like it that is.
A dealer that won’t let you do that isn’t worth dealing with, really.
But i see you are in the USA, so things could well be very different to the dealers over here in the UK

2 Likes

That would be the plan to try it out for sure. There is a company in Colorado (state where I live) that will sometimes see a used one come through that will let you use it for a while. That’s my plan to get my hands on one.

2 Likes

Another test track that highlights the limitations of the NDS is “Falling” by Haim from their debut album “Days Are Gone”. As the complexity gathers pace, sounds begin to ‘coalesce’ and lose their distinction. Wishing everyone a lovely start to the New Year :relaxed:

My NDS with XPS 2 musically outperformed my CDS3/555PSDR and CD555.

1 Like

I can understand what you mean. The loss of distinction is perhaps something that the mixing can influence.

In the choral works we perform the conductor uses the dynamics of each voice to ensure the audience can more clearly hear the voices which contain the beauty of the music at that moment.

In Falling there are plenty of different instruments to hear, but unlike voices they provide sounds rather than creating harmonies etc.

It is perhaps being able to pick out the instruments/voices clearly rather than their spatial location in Falling that matters.

In choral works some instruments and voices associate, but the voices convey the words. We also seldom sing entirely in unison.

I find ‘pop’ music to be mostly about lyrics, foot tapping etc than the classical music concepts of harmony, consonance, dissonance etc.

I do prefer the pop music instruments not to coalesce. I was fine with Falling.

Phil

1 Like

It’s interesting to read the divergence of opinions here. Personally, there is no way I would have replaced my CD555 with an NDS.

I found the CD player completely outclassed the streamer, despite the latter having a beguiling warm smoothness to its character. But in timing, timbre, texture, dynamics and scale it simply didn’t compare.

To me the ND555 was a completely different kettle of fish and altogether in another class with two power supplies. Even with one, however, I find it very difficult to comprehend those who write they could hear no or little difference comparing the NDS with the ND555. In demos, I found the ND555 with one power supply does almost everything better than the CD555, including bass extension. With two it was transformative. There was also no way that things like the Klimax could compare, again in my opinion.

6 Likes

It would be very boring if everyone agreed on everything wouldn’t it? Different opinions are what make forums worthwhile. It’s interesting that some get upset when a different opinion to theirs is posted. Who’d be a human being eh? :blush:

1 Like

Agreed, but a common understanding and certain level of agreement would make things less confusing and possibly suspicious. I would certainly not buy based on what is written on here that’s for sure. Also without at least seeing what other players have to offer as well

That is something like i was expecting to happen and as said very shocked when it didn’t really do anything over the NDS, or should i say hit me in the face with the extra sparkle sound i was expecting.
Maybe if i had had it longer then maybe i would have started to notice a few differences, but a side by side, play the same track at the same time and just switch between inputs on the 552, highlighted no apparent differences at the time and really it should have.

That is still one off my hifi mysteries

1 Like

I do find Haim more enjoyable with the sound off.

6 Likes

*Except their live version of Mac’s Oh Well.

Any decision should be based on your own assessment. You are investing a lot of money, so you should be content. Otherwise you are only busy convincing yourself after the fact that you took the right decision……, but opinions of others help to at least find out what the field is.

But there is also something strange happening in these discussions. Some people argue it’s like miles better than etc, so giving more weight to the difference.
And some argue they didn’t hear any difference at all……

I would argue both is a bit suspicious.

And then we still have the issues of hearing something in a certain context. I have also experienced myself quite often that the same setup impresses me at one show and dissapointed me at another show. Room aspects, burn in status/warm up status, cabling, electricity or whatever other aspects play a role but as well your own personal state……

5 Likes