ND555 Impressions

yes, i feel you are right. A better one in the range can be worse in your system sound balance. But can be better too…
With Amazon, you can try and return if not satisfied.

1 Like

Do you then not transcode on the fly to wav ? Something in earlier versions at least Twonky couldn’t do…

No - all my music files are WAVs.
I had the demos where I was shown various ways to transcode and it seemed better not to do it at all.
If it is going to be done then at the send-end seemed to sound least intrusive.
I’ve not heard any system that uses trascoding not impart a signature - you may like that signature but it is there so I choose not to have it.

Thanks great review. Different from all others so far that’s also critical. I am not sure how they check on two comments…

1. NDS better timing, I don’t remember that.
  2. The 552 being a limiting factor, interesting…, but will not be able to move to statement level pre…

Ok makes sense. I chose another way to be able to use it across platforms and have easy tagging…

A good read indeed.

For JH to suggest that the ND555 ‘sounds better’ than a NAC552 (a concept I find difficult to get my head around), or that the NAC552 is a limiting factor in hearing the very beast of the ND555 would imply he had a ‘better’ pre amp on hand to draw that conclusion. I suspect this is more a gut feel by JH, rather than an actual test.

DB - have you heard the ND555 with both the NAC552 and S1 in comparative situations? If so, would you say a 552 limits the ND555?

Yes.

Sorry if that offends anyone but the other answer will be that I just wanted a big Monolith in my room (nice idea though) and wanted to reduce my financial situation so that I had to run my car for more than ten years partially as a result - and counting…

ND555 sits between 552 and S1 performance I think - but just my opinion.

The ND555 will not offend the 552 so I don’t see why it is a problem - do you want it worse?
How to compare different things at different places in the system-chain anyway.

I heard what S1Pre did over the 552 and ND555 does a lot of that but not all - so half-way.
Naim are obviously developing their top-end product with their top-end system is what I’m hearing.
I’m glad the Statement Streamer is not out instead, as it would destroy my finances if I could afford it anyway right now! :neutral_face:

I see in future Naim having a more developed ND555 innards inside a Statement box with all extra up-lift.

DB.

1 Like

I am not saying I want it worse, nor am I suggesting you might have bought an S1 so you would have to defer a new car purchase! Anyway you acquired your S1 long before the launch of the ND555.

Simply asking a hopefully relevant question.

No offence taken, or given hopefully.

None at all! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m just personally pleased at how good the ND555 is in its Reference component context.

…I should not have mentioned the car - occasionally a sore point. But I drive less than I play music.

1 Like

Thanks DB. The notion that the ND555 sits somewhere between a 552 and S1 in terms of ultimate capability makes sense. It does raise an interesting thought however.

Are the Classic and 500 ranges moving to a point where digital sources (streamers) are outclassing their natural analogue amplifier partnering components? As digital development continues and analogue development plateaus, we might see that traditional analogue amps are simply no longer good enough to deliver the digital sonic goods.

The comments by Jon Honeyball add nothing to the review and the reference to the limitations of the 552 is just to lever in a particular hobbyhorse of his as he has previously said he dislikes the preamp in favour of his Townsend. He also prefers the 135s to 500.
As my experience of these products are the exact opposite to his I give no credence to his opinions.

1 Like

This idea has its own cult-following for a lot of good reasons. I initially investigated joining but did not as I believe that the analogue replay chain still has many advantages - if implemented well.
But probably in the mid-Fi category the more digital reach is maturing and will become quite good.

The DR upgrade on the NAP500 I believe pushed it more toward the Statement grade of performance than the DR upgrade of the 552 did - from what I experienced personally.

Don’t interpret this other than perhaps the 552 was already quite good and the better of the 552-500 combo and the DR did a lot more for the 500 to push it farther.

DB.

you have taken the good choice, not choosing the nd555 but 552 before… the 252 would be the limiting factor

+1 & I use 3 Cinnamon.

G

Agreed. Although that’s not why I read reviews. It is interesting and thought provoking to hear what others have to say, regardless of bias or context, because after all, we’re all biased, and none of us would base an actual buying decision on somebody else’s ears, however golden. That way madness lies.

Thank you Gazza and James. I’m going to enjoy plodding through that article.

Yes FR, when I was listening to the ND555/252 vs NDS/552 at my dealer (which wasn’t a great listening room BTW), I felt the ND555 wasn’t giving me what I expected. Whereas the NDS with a 552 in control was a little bit special and I felt had more to give.

I couldn’t be doing with demoing both the ND555 AND 552 at home so had to pick one. The choice was clear. My cheeky dealer did however put the cat among the pigeons (google that mon ami) before I left the demo and partnered the ND555 with the 552. Now that was rather special.

Gazza, if you are watching, YMMV.

Today I have been listening to my Innuos Zenith (into nDAC + 555DR) without the Ethernet connected (because it can once Music is queued).

It beats testing cables to know the inherent sound of your system. So is this possible with ND555? Maybe it doesn’t play without the network connection.

The difference is not subtle. The whole soundstage improves with more prominence to the supporting instruments and vocalists. The bass is deeper, and everything fuller and warmer.

I’d be interested to hear what sound difference it makes if this is possibly.

Phil

Bloody hell, have they brought out yet another new reference streamer!

Sorry Phil, I couldn’t resist.

1 Like

Currently listening to your favourite gal, Diana Krall, singing Temptation. It’s all there and I can’t resist!

Phil

1 Like

Not watching and have shot all the pigeons just in case😉

1 Like