ND555 Impressions

No i dont:)

you mean perhaps ice on the cake ?

There is not an end…until

Can’t wait to get my nd555 in my system, just over 2 weeks time.
Will be trying a 2nd 555ps and if I like what it does then I will also get that, but we will see how it goes.
Both less than 6 months old, so maybe just about run in, if I am lucky

1 Like

You put ice on cake? You crazy French!

2 Likes

try with your clients in your bar, they probably will like

2 Likes

i understand now, it’s not ice but ice-cream :face_with_hand_over_mouth::laughing:

1 Like

that is crazy french !

chocolate french rooster

1 Like

Have this morning the feeling that the 2nd ps created a jump in performance…, more airy more into the room. Feeling I can put the volume a bit lower…

4 Likes

Having bought the Sean Jacobs/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 power supply for the Roon Nucleus, I’ve been playing around with his Powerblack mains lead (which I preferred to his solid silver and the Powerline), having bought a second one for the Cisco 2960 (it makes a big difference) and find it has a very positive impact on the 500 system and the ND555 analogue side particular, improving depth, dynamism, detail and bass extension, but above all bass control, clarity and articulacy. I’ve ordered one of his powerblocks as a result, having found the individual cable to outperform the Powerigel (which I preferred to the Powerigel plus and pretty much any other distribution block I have tried). I strongly recommend giving them a try, even if just on the Cisco switch.

Had the exact same feeling when switching from the 300DR to the 500DR.

1 Like

Getting back to the ND55 itself, a couple of observations that may or may not be of interest.

It has taken a good six months to fully come on song. This is unusual for me with a Naim streamer but not for a 500 level component. HDX, HDX-SSD DAC and NDS all sounded good out of the box and didn’t change much after that. A bit, certainly. But not a lot. The ND555 sounded good out of the box, was certainly singing more beautifully after a month but is now absolutely soaring. Clarity, transparency. timing, texture and the completely revised sound stage. It’s magical.

The other thing to mention is that it’s now on its third remote. The first would occasionally refuse to light up when picked up, unless shaken like a bottle of ketchup. The buttons always worked when pressed. The second remote would just die. The symptoms were those of drained batteries. But this remote was eating a set a week, and was not being parked somewhere it could constantly be stimulated into waking up. Handset number three is now here. I like the remote a lot more than the App. Once my listening session is cued up and the rumination has ceased, shutting the bulky and laggy iPad and switching to the slick remote is a treat for me. Particularly as I listen in low or no light. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I would find the remote a lot more useful were it the size of a mobile phone and came with a screen. I use both the remote and the ND555 buttons and display but it would be better if the display was included on the remote. You can’t see the display clearly from across a room so it really does not do much.
Other than that my ND555 is superb.

1 Like

This seems normal as you say with the more expensive Naim items. To my hearing of it the extra resolution into a lower noise-floor shows-up improvements for longer, as you hear it a bit off into the lower noise then gradually over time (many weeks) improving in linearity and hence resolution.

I noticed this with at first my 552 then more so the DR upgrade for that and even more so S1Pre and 500DR which really soared after 9 months.

It is also great it begins sounding good as you would expect, then runs-in so much better - a delight for sure! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

2 Likes

My ND555 took considerably longer to burn in than any other black box I think six months is about right.

Once I got used to the remote I find it preferable to the NDX/NDS remote

1 Like

But the downside is that you cannot select an album or track to play with the ND555 remote, which you could, of course, on the NDS. Music selection must be done on an iPad or similar.

This I don’t find a big deal, as I have a very large collection. I find the combination of the two working very nicely. The selection through my Ipad and the pause, volume, next song etc through the remote…

2 Likes

I’ve got one of those rather Dr Who - like remotes which came with the 552 (I think). R-Com? You know the one. It’s never come out of the box. I wonder how many first batch NDX2 and ND555 remotes would turn out unreliable if all owners started using them regularly for a few months? Can’t believe I’ve been THAT unlucky. But it’s possible.

I use my NDX2 remote regularly - only 4 weeks old so far, but works very well.

Good to hear. Do the buttons light up every time you pick it up. My third remote did, until this evening. Oh well. No point in bothering the dealer again. It’s either a POS afterthought, or I’m breaking them somehow. The solution obviously lies elsewhere. My clunky old iPad 2 will do just fine. At least it sounds amazing - the ND555 that is.