ND555 Impressions

Didn’t mean low volume, but bass presence…, apologies for the confusion…

What sort of signature did you object to - if you can say without offending anyone?
I’ve heard that firmware can indeed change the signature greatly in a positive and negative way on Naim Streamers - and that there is divided opinion on it all at times.

Certainly when you purchase a Source or any box you liked what it did at that time and want only improvements in any upgrade and not to be taken in a direction you do not like - I very much understand and agree with that.

If an upgrade happens - and a customer does not like the end-result, then they should be supported in putting it back to how they had it when they preferred it IMO.

At times guilty as charged - but I find my main reason for this is when the system is not connecting with me for some reason and trying to determine what is wrong to then resolve it. Once the system is ‘working’ then I tend to just want to play and enjoy immersing myself in the music.

DB.

14200 dollars for a network switch?

1 Like

I belief prices have been 2200, 3200 and 5200 euros. Still crazy but not as bad as expressed above…

I’m sticking with Cisco !

2 Likes

Whatever the price, most of it is for the power box section, not the switch.

1 Like

It is nuclear :slight_smile:

I’m listening to the piano sonata No. 20 in A Major D959.

The ND555 renders the piano amazingly. What a joy! :smiley:

And I can now ascertain that the NAP500DR brings the clarity, the delicacy and silence that the 300DR only approached.

1 Like

I think it is also related to the album itself. It’s a great album, which I have enjoyed a couple of times so far.

I have nothing but good things to say about the ND555 and how it has opened up the window on the music, moved further forward by my new MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 distribution block. Yes, there is a BUT coming.

With the ND555 and 552, the window is so wide open now that my 250DR is beginning to struggle with tracks that have a dense, loud mix. On acoustic, less dense, light vocal material it is stunning. This is most evident on the new Beth Hart album, War In My Mind, where there is a mix of sparse instrumentation/vocals and dense and intense passages, sometimes within the same track. Beautifully in control on the more ‘delicate’ sections, but losing grip and air when things get complex and loud. I realise this is a challenge for any system but I think I have tipped the balance too much towards the Monkfish end of the scale.

Maybe I am just convincing myself I need that 300 or 500 sooner rather than later! Or it could be my modest speakers can no longer cope with the dense stuff.

2 Likes

Then you will need new speakers…the 250 is a great amp. The Kudos range are very happy with a 250 amp, if that’s where you want to stop?

Yes, you could be right there Gazza.

I have a horrible feeling though that better power amp and better speakers are required.

I am not even going to go there yet. Not until we move. Just interested in the views of forumites.

I know its never ending…but with neighbours having heart attacks, cancer etc. Its a case if now or never?

1 Like

You don’t want my opinion :grin: but I found the Non dr 300 to be a huge improvement on the olive 250 I had. I won’t mention the effect of going active with two 300drs :grimacing:

I don’t know what your speakers are (not that it will mean anything to me!)

My speakers are the rather unfashionable Monitor Audio Gold GX300. I have been amazed how they have responded to the many upgrades and I had them from when I started streaming with a Uniti 2 through to my system today (in my profile). But they may just have reached the limits of their capability, or I could demo a 300 with them at home… no…no…stop these evil thoughts.

1 Like

Relax Nigel, have a trip out to the coast near Felixstowe near Ipswich. Call in to Signals and let them get all these problems off your chest, great music, speakers, Amps etc some lovely Coffee. You will be much happier…possibly a tad poorer?

Last time I went to Signals, it cost me a bl**dy fortune!

3 Likes

I seem to remember you using similar words before other purchases :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Mmm, Signals coffee :grinning:

Oh don’t you start i am there on Saturday for their Chord Ultima day, and on Tuesday for a little demo. I hope to survive😬

2 Likes