ND555 Impressions

Madonna’s Ray of Light might be in that category. NAP 500 is good, with the vocals holding the stage against a vast number of other sounds still with a good soundstage.

Phil

1 Like

This is what I am suspecting, that the 500 will have much more grip when the mix gets dense, and thus will keep things together.

1 Like

The 500 is very good at rendering complex instrumental interplay, microdynamics and delicate tonal contrasts as well as the obvious muscular stuff. I have no experience of your speakers, but suspect you are right that investing in the amp will reap greater dividends.

you will have to buy this to hide the 500 from your wife :smile:

1 Like

Enter the bottomless vortex :tornado:

1 Like

If I went out and bought a 500 now, I don’t think I would have a wife any longer.

1 Like

doesnt sound like you will be ultimately satisfied until you add the 500. So wait until you come across perhaps a preloved one and in the meantime enjoy your wonderful system that is to say, sounds like you should skip the 300.
I suspect you will also end up with one of the Kudos Titans question is which will you do first?

Can also happen to you unexpected, without buying a 500…

1 Like

Hi Nigel,

Just re-hashed advice really, but when we chatted during my ATC active v 500 DR phase, then based on the journey Chez Dave, my advice at the time was to bypass the 300 DR, a lovely amp indeed, and hang out for the 500 DR.

I never really took to the 250 when I had one, and the 300 was a revelation, with the subsequent 300DR a huge step forward.

The ATC v 500 DR was just a “what if” moment, promoted by my ever obliging dealer (:roll_eyes:) … as at that point, I was very happy with the 300 DR.

The 500 DR?

Blimey … I simply couldn’t believe how much it offers over the 300 DR, and I’m on record as to how musical it is.

So yes, it’s a whole heap of Her Majesty’s finest folding, but it is well worth the outlay … belter, in fact!

Sorry! :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

If you’re moving there’s no point in worrying about speakers until after but your MAs won’t get any worse with a 500 giving them what for, wherever they are.

I hit this dilemma a couple of years ago after buying a 552 and being in posession of a 250-2 and NBLs. It looked like something was coming to replace the NDS as soon as the new Unitis were announced so I was keeping some funds back for that as I was on a CDX2/555ps at the time. This didn’t leave enough for a new 500, or even a recent used one but I happened to be idly browsing a couple of used hifi dealers web site when I noticed a 16 year old one for a price I could stretch to and still keep a bit in reserve for something a little higher in price an NDS. It proved too much and the medium level Fraim shelf I’d bought to space the turntable from the pre suddenly found another use, but of course I wasn’t planning to move house. Probably best to save the 500 to reward yourself for surviving the move and hope there isn’t too much decorating that can’t wait in the new place.

2 Likes

Ultimately the 500 will work best to release the rest of your system synergy - the ND555-552-500 do work very nicely as a whole. But you have approached it very sensibly so far and Wife-exiting apocalypses should definitely be avoided.

Signals will bide their time and assist your translation of money into pleasure at a later date.

Enjoy what you have IMO - but a 300 will be the next upgrade I’d make if the itch is too much and 500 is not an option.

DB.

2 Likes

I wonder what 500 can give Me vs 300 in a not very adequate room setup

The 500 is not a ‘muscle Amp’ as some have said but it offers-up a very refined un-fussed dynamic presentation; the music is just ‘there’ in the room and does instantly show you what it does over the 300 but at the consequent price increase. You really do get what you pay for with the 500 and I think the 500DR an exceptional Amp.

DB.

3 Likes

I completely agree with DB the 500DR is the first amp I’ve owned where I relish complex passages. It just un-picks them very naturally and very realistically. Even my old 135’s, good as they were (and still are), don’t come close to having this ability.

1 Like

@NigelB, buy a preloved one a share a little loving with her. She will be happy you have reached HiFi nirvana.

Phil

Unfortunately my beloved has absolutely no interest in hifi or music. She is worth infinitely more than my rig though, so I need to tread carefully.:wink:

Thanks for the advice though.:woozy_face:

3 Likes

Ha! My wife is the same :grin:

1 Like

Good job wives aren’t on the forum!

1 Like

Don’t even say it out loud :flushed:

1 Like

Was one hour ago in the 500 series France ( Versailles) roadshow, in Studio hifi.
nd555/ nap 500/ nac 552/ melco n1/ Apertura Everest speakers.
Like in my system, but a much bigger scale. Great authority and ease, naturalness. Will not listen today on my system, if you understand what i mean.

4 Likes