ND555 Impressions

Indeed - I never said it is a panacea to solve all, but it eliminates directed traffic and there can be a lot of that on a network. Broadcast does need to be solved other ways - if you think it needs to be solved - for serious listening I switch-off broadcast network boxes such as my smart TV to good effect.

The original context was to try shortening a link and a switch is an easy way to try it wit no down-side and only up-sides is my point. It will offer a segmentation of the network, but not for broadcast to all traffic as you say, which requires either more network tech or just turning off offending items as I do at present.

DB.

1 Like

We are all waiting for it James. Did you really have the chance to handle the first draw?:yum:

Chag -

1 Like

frenchrooster, there may be some copyright issues involved in this :>)

who will attack a coq in justice ? or a james avatar?

Sorry FR and all - you’ll have to buy a copy (easily done online) if you want the full review. My subscription is expensive…

Not a surprising review - having heard the ND555 back at the Factory last year it was sounding rather special as you chaps who are lucky to own one will well know. One interesting comment by AE (of this parish) in the review was that leaving all the inputs enabled sounds better than the usual trick of disabling those you are not using. I’m sure Steve Sells and his design team must be very proud of what they have achieved with the new players.

on the site, the current issue is October / December, it’s curious?

You’re right. I must admit i wasn’t expecting my copy when it dropped through the letter box this morning so i expect they’ll update the website soon to reflect the latest release. To be honest FR, the review is not saying much more than already discussed on here so i’d take the views from those who’ve parted with hard cash as a guide to how this piece of kit performs :grinning:

PS - As with other reviews, the NDS is still seen as a very valid player. At some of the prices i’ve seen for NDS, it’s the bargain of the century - if you don’t need the latest connectivity (and are willing to replace an OLED screen eventually) then make the most of the bargain prices !

2 Likes

i am convinced but like to read sometimes this very good mag. But expensive…

My ND555, and the rest of the new system (NAC552DR and all Super Lumina cabling), has now ~480 hours of running in. I guess most of the improvements have been done. No more harshness or dullness as it could sometimes happen at the very beginning. Everything is now quite smooth and very enjoyable.

Comparing to what I had before the improvements are über huge! To be honest, I was not expecting that. More of everything, really, such as clarity, accuracy, precision, timing, separation of instruments and, above all, this particular feeling that music flows easily. It becomes hard to focus on the “Hifi thing”, your mind is quite rapidly lost into music, without any listening fatigue.

As said previously, can’t wait for the NAP500DR :smiley:

4 Likes

ah, the high quality swiss life…

Thomas, you are going to love what a 500DR can do. I’ve just got mine back from Naim after having a small issue. I’ve been using an old pair of 135’s with my CDP555/552/DBLs while it’s been away. I even commented to my dealer how good I thought the 135’s fronted by a 552. However, straight out of the box and stone cold, from being in the car boot overnight, it utterly obliterated the 135’s to such a degree I was left wondering if I was listening to the same tracks. The musical realism was boardering on frightening making normal descriptions pretty pointless. Just sitting here soaking up the venue atmosphere.

Its legendary status is certainly well deserved.if this is pre-burn-in then I’m very, very afaraid!

2 Likes

You will still see that the sound further smoothens in the direction of 600/700 hours. I am a bit jealous on your coming 500DR…

1 Like

I googled on Cisco 2960 and saw several new and refurbished ones here is the US. Its about a $1000 for this switch in the 8 port variety. Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to make sure.

I want to put this unit close to the kit, and then short Cat5e cables to segment the network as was mentioned. I will use one long 15 foot cable to the main router.

Bailyhill

i found mine new, white model ( more recent) for around 100 dollars, on bay site. There are a lot of brand new for very good prices.
Before i had a refurbished one, but it was a bit tired i felt…

An 8-port Cisco 2960 pre-loved should be around £50 ($60). There should be plenty for sale on fleabay. Just make sure that the pre loved ones have had a proper factory reset.

DO NOT PAY $1000.

1 Like

I got a fully factory refurbed for £100. I found it musically disappointing, though, particularly for classical/acoustic. Hope to post in more detail tomorrow

the refurbished one i had before was a bit edgy. Not the new one. 100 dollars or euros are not expensive for the upgrade it gives.

Leaving all the inputs enabled definitely improves the overall sound quality which is counter intuitive coming from an NDS where the opposite was the case.

This was something my dealer suggested I try a month or so back following his interactions with Naim. The improvement was instant and quite substantial.

Turn 'em all on!

Indeed, while there is no doubt about the superiority of the 555 over the NDS, I still often think of buying back my beloved NDS for a second system. :thinking:

Chag -

He has been selling his Naim gear on the Naim buyers and sellers FB group.