ND555, NAC552DR and SuperLumina "Full Loom", all at once!

Looks great Tomser, and I bet it sounds even better! Enjoy.

Stu.

1 Like

Very nice looking system and i love the room! What speakers are you using? I like the size and they must be great if you are using with that system!

Hi Thomas,

Yes the speakers are very nice, they produce amazing mids and highs which is great for the music I enjoy. Mostly classical (chamber music) and some jazz. The speakers are Jean-Marie Reynaud “Abscisse” (Mk I). The details of my system are in my public profile.

Hi @Thomas – great system! What kind of rack is that? Looks sharp.

It’s a Schroers & Schroers Charisma Audio, to which I added a glass door. It’s german brand, located in Berlin.

1 Like

My ND555, and the rest of the new system (NAC552DR and all Super Lumina cabling), has now ~480 hours running in. I guess most of the improvements have been done. No more harshness or dullness as it has sometimes occurred at the very beginning. Everything is now quite smooth and very enjoyable.

Comparing to what I had before the improvements are über huge! To be honest, I was not expecting that. More of everything, really, such as clarity, accuracy, precision, timing, separation of instruments and, above all, this particular feeling that music flows easily. It becomes hard to focus on the “Hifi thing”, your mind is quite rapidly lost into music, without any listening fatigue.

As said previously, can’t wait for the NAP500DR :smiley:

1 Like

Wow what an upgrade, it will only improve with time…enjoy.

1 Like

Thomas most impressive indeed and well done to you.

Quick question the jumpers/link between the high and low on the JMR speakers have you gone for Super Lumina cable as well - something I’m looking into having just replaced my speaker cable with SL.

Enjoy your system.

Nice setup, also visually a treat - congratulations and enjoy…

Okay but what are the specific materials you used please? Given my many issues with cabling what you’ve done looks fantastic and I’d like to at least attempt to replicate it.

Hey Thomas, have you received the 500dr? I read also your post on the french forum, you were asking the differences between proac k6 or k8 vs Apertura Adamante. My dealer is selling both, in Versailles town. I would say that the Apertura are faster, airier and more disappearing. More refined too. The Proac have more body and bigger bass. Apertura don’t exaggerate the bass, so some people find that they lack bass. I don’t feel that.
Apertura are closer to your Abcisses vs Proac. You can come and listen ( but only 252/300). Have a good search.

1 Like

Hi

Having listen thoose 3 beautiful speakers (at the same Versailles dealer) several times, i would add that, for my ears, the Proacs (K6 and even more K8) are able to reveal soundstage that literally opens up and gains in depth… with them, each instrument becomes live, plastic, more realistic.

(I think that, last time, we met)

We met each other during nd555 and Proac k8 ( or 6?) , then Apertura Adamante show at Studio Hifi.
The first days were the Proac, the day we met there were Apertura.
Both speakers are great. The Proac have a deeper soundstage, but i felt that Apertura were airier and more disappearing.
Tomser must hear for himself…

I have SL for everything but the 300DR. That’s the newest addition to my system - the 300.

Has anyone done the 300 SL interconnect upgrade on its own and been pleased with the improvement?

The Amp has two SL upgradable ends Input and Output.

If choosing one first I’d choose the Speaker cable as it runs-in a lot lot quicker than the DIN-XLR.

The run-in effect of both is also opposite in that Speaker cable begins a bit over-blown and fullsome and tightens-up over time - The DIN-XLR begins a bit thin and and bright and takes longer to fill-out.

Both together for a while work well as they run-in but the Speaker cable gets there first.

I did not like my DIN-XLR SL cables for many weeks and only persisted with them as I’d previously borrowed a Dealer run-in set that I loved immediately. But after a few weeks and certainly a few months they seem just right in terms of timing and detail without being over-heavy sounding.

So persist with it for the DIN-XLR SL and you will be fine - but possibly expect some run-in brightness and thinness for the fist few days mostly and weeks a bit.

But for me the Speaker cable was the biggest revelation in that I felt I was hearing my Amp - then a non-DR 500 - for the first time in terms of it having a relaxed precise control with lots of easy fine detail.

Both eventually for full-loom. :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

2 Likes

Hi Bart,

As mentioned earlier, I have the whole set of Super Lumina cables, which includes the DIN-XLR interconnect.

I can’t really tell how it changes the sonic signature of the system as I replaced all the cables at once.

But, in the context of my system, the complete set of Super Lumina cabling made a huge improvement. I don’t even think going back to HiLine and/or stock cables. Really, it’s a no-brainer.

Of course, it took some time to settle down. I’d say around 250 hours to get the ease and smoothness I’m enjoying now.

1 Like

The journey continues…

I’ll fetch my brand new NAP500DR on Wednesday :smiley:

3 Likes

The NAP500DR has arrived !

It completes my 500 series setup :smiley:

I won’t be able to connect it immediately. The rack needs some modifications.

I’ll power it up anyways. It’ll be powered for couple of weeks. I don’t know if it helps with the burning in process as it does not transmit any signal, but at least It’ll be correctly warmed up when I’ll transfer it into the modified rack.

3 Likes

@Darkebear

Hi DB,

Considering your experience with NAP500s , would you recommend to power the NAP500DR as part of the burning in process even if it’s not connected to a NAC? Would that make sense?

As mentioned above, I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks for my rack to be able to accommodate the NAP.

I would be tempted to put the 500 on a wooden board or something on the floor and use it with your NAC and just start-using until you can make room on your hifi stand. Not ideal…
but it will be running and you can start listening.

3 Likes