ND555 - RAAT vs UPnP

Jim what clocking issues might you be referring to. I assume you are referring to things not related to digital audio and sampling clocks?

Is it fair to assume we all understand with TCP based network Hi-Fi audio, the only relevant clock with respect to sampled audio is the one at the end of the chain in the digital to analogue audio stage, typically in the DAC or streamer.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the theory.
But is it that simple in practice?

Exactly. The dac clock is certainly the most important, but apparently not enough for optimal sound quality in streaming. The better the clock in the switch, the better the sound will be.

1 Like

Yes, I also think thatā€™s the case. It makes no obvious sense whatsoever, but does seem to be what people have found in practiceā€¦ but then I suppose there must be a reason why switches in general incorporate a clock.

The problem is that most will argue that as the data is unaffected, be it a cheap or not switch, the timing canā€™t be affected too. But I believe, like you probably, that itā€™s not the case. The reason of the clock improved on audiophile switches.

Hi @Thomas

If using Roon then data wise there is no real difference if going via a UPnP bridge, or native to the product. Roon2UPnP bridges are a compromise though as the UPnP interface is prehistoric and is like driving with boxing gloves on to make it do various stuff reliably (gapless, fast multiple track changes, seek2time etc). As you have a Roon Raat enabled product like the 555 I would go native and not via a 20+ year old protocol. At Naim (like Linn) we put in various UPnP extensions so it works reliably, like product side play queues.

As for best sound at Naim each software release is signed off using a Naim Core Server->555 Streamer playing WAV files via the streamers Play queue system. This buffers tracks into RAM so after about 10secs the streamer is not streaming over the network, but just playing out of a RAM buffer. Itā€™s the best tuned combination electrical noise wise, however, in the world in top end Hifi there are many factors in the mix, so what works for one person, is a disaster for another.

Personally I use Roon RAAT to my various systems, but have Roon running on a Windows PC located elsewhere in the house to minimise switch mode PSUā€™s etc. from the Hifi rack causing localised mains pollution. Sounds fine to me while I drink red wine :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

10 Likes

Straight from the horses mouth (so to speak). Thanks for posting Steve :+1:

3 Likes

This is exactly what I found in my experiment.
Many thanks

1 Like

Yepā€¦ there is no mystique or voodooā€¦ well not in my worldā€¦

But if one is in the world of massaging oneā€™s left ear lobe results in a different audio presentation, then I concede all bets are probably offā€¦

(Hint one needs to understand what a clock is doingā€¦ whether it be in the electricity generation facility, or data distribution facility.)

Fair enough.

However cheap and nasty any clocks are, any noise they emit is eradicated in Thomasā€™ system at the fibre media converter.

So, yes, in that case the theory does hold.

The clock in the ER and other parts of the ER can emit noise that could leak across the ā€˜moatā€™ in the ER.

And as I mentioned above the Ethernet cable from ER to ND will also act as a aerial and transmit noise into the ND.

If you press your finger into your ear hole it will change what you hear.

Thatā€™s basic physics and psychology.

Ear hole absolutely, ear lobe? I just tried itā€¦ no change here :wink:

Today at NĆ©mia, Switzerland. :switzerland:

3 Likes

Hi @Stevesky ,

Thank you for your post and detailed answer.

I, of course, have no intention to feed my ND555 using the UPnP protocol.

I did this little experiment out of curiosity and to sweep aside certain claims I read here and there.

UPnP is indeed a dinosaur. RAAT is both robust and convenient. I have, just like you a small NUC server stored in my home network rack, away from the HiFi.

Have a nice evening,

Cheers from Switzerland,

Thomas

Hi Michael, from the last posts I just read, UPNP is apparently prehistoric. When you use the Sense app through your Nd555 and Innuos Statement, is it still UPNP?

Beautiful environment. If you live there, you probably know that famous instrument in Sion. On my bucket list to play old music there ā€¦

Do you mean the ValĆØre organ? I believe it is the worldā€™s oldest playable organ; never had the opportunity to hear it. Do you play organ?

When I go concerts itā€™s mostly in Geneva, Lausanne and sometimes Martigny (Fondation Gianada).

Thatā€™s the one. Iā€™ve seen it, but didnā€™t play on it. Iā€™m organist by education, minor in harpsichord. However I got my degree, I ended op in a much better payed job in IT :slight_smile:

If I ever get there post corona, Iā€™ll reach out.

1 Like

Awesome! I love to listen to the organ. I sang in a boys choir when I was a kid. The sound of the organ in a church is something that reminds me of my childhood. But, strangely, I donā€™t listen much to organ on my HiFi. I have very few records, and I find that they are rarely well recorded.

Yes, if you ever come to Switzerland, itā€™ll be a pleasure to meet you.

I am easy to find. I have the same name and avatar/picture on FaceBook.

2 Likes

Iā€™m no expert, but I believe that it does in the current Logitech Media Server workaround that I use.

1 Like