ND555 with 272 as preamp?

which interconnect and speaker cables do you use?

I would agree with you, I own a 282, but a 272 is also a fine preamp/streamer, so the point is to enjoy music without thinking too much about it. You got there, enjoy the system and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

1 Like

Original Naim black snaic, Burndy and NACA5.

the original naim cables - great.

I also use the MConnect HD app - great app giving access to qobuz and tidal on any UPNP device

I have Nokia!

But have tried Bubble. It was a bit awkward to control in my case…

it depends also FR on system configuration

to bring out more resolution, one needs to spend more on cables from Naim or Chord… Not sure that I would disturb system balance if the system is playing well and sounds musical.

1 Like

personally I think reading all the comments about the various combinations the two things I would want to look for is source first and balance in what ever combination that comes

over the years I have always gone source first, then a focus on Pre and then the rest of the system

for me using at 10K source (with out PSU) with out a matched pre and then the rest of the system does not make sense - is a 272/555/300 balance - YES and then following that is ND555/555/272/300 balanced on a source basis, I would have to say NO IMO

if @AhTiong you going for ND555/555/252/SC/300 - you are going to have one superb music system, and that would be my end goal, and to be perfectly honest even 282/HCDR would give you a better balance, and having used that combo with 300 I know it is very well matched

just enjoy the journey

1 Like

What system do you have?

Chord Dave/282/HCDR/250DR
Allo Digione signature streamer and Google Chromecast streamer
Vertere Inteconnects
Dynaudio Focus260

I also use a Chord Mojo with my Yamaha HT amp and Kef 2005.2 speakers…

1 Like

Ah Tiong,

I didn’t know (no, I never go and read the personal data of the poster so I ignore what system he owns - Ah Tiong, this is not for you) that you have a 300DR. This, in my opinion, changes the thing a bit. I have heard a full 500 system many times: a guy I know has one. He uses it with Ovator S-600s. I also have a brother-in-law who has moved from a SN to a 252/300 (non DR). He has Harbeth SHL5s. So far, the 300 - which I also know well because a dealer friend of mine has it in stock permanently - is the most pleasing and complete Naim amp I have heard. Why do I say so? Because if I had one I would not sell it for a 500. Taste is taste, it may be a completely different story for you, but I don’t think the change is worth the cost. The 300 is a wonderful amp, has the best, deepest, more controlled and musical bass I have heard in any Naim amp, is mannered but is Naim, and the 252 - once you get accustomed to its mildly soft presentation, has the best musical flow I have heard in any Naim preamp. A pre/power combo like that is not sold, in my simple and perhaps immaterial view; but adding a super source might have a sense.
What’s a super source, though? My brother-in-law has three sources: a CDS3/XPS, an HDX, a Squeezebox Touch for Tidal. We occasionally spend long evenings listening, evaluating, exchanging opinions. Every once in a while we agree completely on something.

Something I’ve heard is that the HDX is still a magnificent machine, that it still holds its own vs the CDS3, that its Internet Radio is better than almost any other devices’ I’ve heard, that the same piece of music played on CD on the CDS3, as file from the HDX and from Tidal on the SBT, seemed to be a hint more enjoyable from the SBT’s Tidal. Something I’d never have bet a penny on until I heard it.

So, while I understand the idea of having a full 500 system shining in the living room, please do some tests, erase pre-conceptions and remember that money doesn’t grow on trees.

Best with your decisions

Max

1 Like

I assume the 272 is in place already.
The 272 with a 555ps seems to satisfy a lot of people, the bare 272 not so much. An ND555 with two ps also has its fans, I’m not one of them based on what I heard in a Naim run demo, but the room was evenly split between preferring one or two ps.
If after trying it, two ps does seem to have merit to you this opens up the possibility to run both the ND555 and 272 from 555ps as a first step, at a bit of a premium admittedly, and when a 552 arrives transferring the second ps to the ND.

P.S.

I see now that you’re already considering a 252. Good. On the other hand - and please take it as a mere observation, totally non-judgmental - if you can be in doubt about buying a 555PS or not like I would be about, say, a new jacket, it means that perhaps - your good luck and merit - money is not an issue for you. If such is the case, I think that the decision should even more be made on sonic grounds exclusively.

Hoping you see what I mean, best again,
M.

1 Like

Thanks @JimDog. Always interesting to read some experiences. Good for tips and reassurance.

Anyone know if there is already a thread on this?

Hi @AhTiong

Sounds like you can comfortably get to the system suggested by @Antz

ND555/555PS/252/SC/300

and I completely agree this would be a fantastic system.

Only suggestion would be to look for pre-owned 552 as it’s not a lot more than a 252/SC, particularly in the long term if you are aiming at a full 500 set up.

1 Like

Agreed I have seen two recently serviced older DR examples go for just under £10,000 on a well known auction site.
A non DR but serviced NAP500 went with a buy it now for £6000 the other week also.

I walk the same road

I changed my 272 with 552 first the base

Then a cd555 head unit to go with my ps55dr

Then nd555 and another PS

Now it is time for a NAP500

1 Like

Listening now with 252dr and nd555 in place of the 272… in one word … woaw…

4 Likes

For £20,000 you’d rather hope to hear a decent improvement. If you do get the 555 and are thinking of buying the 252 and Supercap new, then do try to stretch for a used 552. People may say that it’s not much better than a 252 but I disagree. It’s massively better and puts you in touch with the music in a way that the 252 simply cannot.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience, Max.

The 300dr was a huge improvement when it came in, I fully agree with you on that one, It’s A Great amp, a big step up vs the 250.

The ND555 with 252 sounds very nice so far, it’s very tempting :grinning:

But need to figure out funding and not everything can come new

Yes it’s very very good But this is just day 1, I’ll post more about it in the next 2-3 days.

I’m not thinking of getting the 252 new, it’s too much $$$. So the 552 will have to wait.

And before the 252 went in, the nd555 wasn’t making much of a difference. As such, the 272/555ps/300dr remains an awesome system.

I think I remember you had replied on my post When I got the 300dr that It would take a lot of money to improve that system and you were right !

@AhTiong @anon4489532. I’ve got the option on a used 252 at the moment and it would no doubt provide a more mature sound with greater resolution e.g. better! But I know I’d only hanker for a 552 so I’m going to leave well alone!