ND555 with 272 as preamp?

Ah Tiong,

none of my business and to be honest lesser and lesser by the day, but why would you want to use Naim’s best media player using another media player as preamp?

Regards
Massimo

In which case, why not buy a 555PS for a 272 instead of a 272 for an ND555?

2 Likes

Yes I’ve heard a 272 powered by a 555 at a separate demo, but no not at home. But I have a 555 on my CDS3 so am well of its virtues. I’m just saying that by virtue of separating the digital and analogue circuitry if you compared a NDX with okay a 555 and 282/HC/250 sonically it would be well ahead of a 272/555/250. And so it should it costs a lot more!

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

@anon39073561. Got it in one!

1 Like

You’re comparing a 5 box system to a 3 box system.

Huge price and hassle difference when you add in all the extra racking and cables.

I compared NDX2/555DR/282/HC/250DR to 272/555DR/250DR recently in a dealership and the difference was not enough in that room to justify the extra cost and hassle.

Okay, your money, your opinion.

O ok, I knew that was the case only the external power supply was plugged in but wondered if it piggybacked the internal supply somehow to enable both to do different aspects of the unit.

Hassle is having to buy a new streamer and a pre amp when technology changes also tho.

But I don’t have to.

It sounds sublime.

Agreed but there is a awful lot that want to. And if a replacement happens, another 5yeara and maybe the same scenario.

Sorry Jim, I compared at dealer place, because was curious about the fuss of the 272 in this forum.
Ndx ( not 2) / xps dr / 282/ hicap/ 250 vs 272/ xps dr/ 250 . The difference was massive. Not exactly Ndx2/ 555dr…vs 272/ 555dr, but same ps on both and big difference.

1 Like

What was the better in your experience?

But those tests at a dealers shop are not much better than demos at a show.

It’s taken me over two years and experiments and investment to get my 272 performing as it does now.

Most dealers just chuck the gear down and plug it in.

My dealer is selling Naim since more than 20 years. He knows exactly how to optimize an installation. The room is nice sounding too, 30 m2, with some minor acoustic treatment.
He is the main Naim dealer in France.

@JimDog. What worked for you?

Ok.
So perhaps he is a rare exception.

Hi Massimo,

The question is how to upgrade my system, by steps, and in which sequence, knowing that I’m probably aiming for a 500 series setup ultimately.

I can’t do all at once as it’s too costly (and less fun?) and I don’t want to take too many steps either as it costs more to do it that way.

I’m not changing my speakers and my 300DR until probably much later. Then it leaves the source and preamp, where I have a great combo today with 272/555ps.

I thought i could get Naim’s best source as in the ND555 and that the 272 (as preamp) would still do it justice but in my ears, it’s not quite the case.

So, next I will demo the 252DR/SC in place of the 272, together with the ND555. And I should also probably try the 252DR/SC as preamp without the ND555 but keeping the 272/555ps as streamer. Let’s see…. or rather let’s hear…

I agree that 272/555 dr is not so far from 282/ xps dr. However inferior.
But Ndx2/555 dr is completely in another league vs the 272 streamer powered by the same ps.
It’s the reason globally for the big difference. Big in price too.

1 Like

Why not, before having the funds for the Nd555, purchase a second hand Nds, which is the second best Naim streamer.
252/SC / Nds/ 555 dr would be much more ahead of 272/ 555dr.
You can find Nds for 3k. Sell the 272 and get the Nds.
Only one caveat: no native Qobuz .

Getting the 272.
Adding the 555DR.
Getting 2 SH Quadraspire racks, then adding Xanthe’s superb isolated glass Shelves - see relevant thread for details.
Getting PoE Ciscos, then replacing them with an EtherRegen.
Attention to detail on cable dressing and isolation of cables from other things.
SL2s on green slate 30mm slabs. Great care taken with positioning and set up.
Discovering ECM - see thread for details, and 1970s Miles, and Paul Bley.
Naim stock cables and BJC 6a with ferrite chokes - see threads for details.
Reclining Ekorness Stressless chairs, moved out from rear wall.
Centring hifi in room and getting rid of coffee table.
MConnectHD app.
Getting power amp serviced and upgraded.

2 Likes