ND5XS and nDAC

I hadn’t realised that the Sharp DSP would still be in circuit when using the digital output of a Naim streamer.

That’s the way all Naim separate streamers are provided with a digital output.

This is a 1st gen NDX, but it’s pretty similar across the range:

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining.

It is, but 94.76% of it is redundant. :wink:

1 Like

That’s a very precise percentage!

I guess if there are no nDAC’s available, I would look at a DAC from Chord. I have Chord cabling in my system and it works very well and from what I read, Chord and NAIM seem to be a good match.

Fortunately, I managed to snaffle an Ebay-sourced nDAC myself, raising the performance of my ND5XS2 to what I read is the same level as a bare NDX2!

Good luck.

1 Like

Chord Cables and Chord Electronics as entirely different companies.

A Chord DAC is a great option, but has quite a different sound to the NDAC. They have found favour amongst many Naim owners, but there are a lot of other DACs out there these days, and I can’t see any particular reason to limit one’s choice to just one brand, however good it may be.

2 Likes

Indeed, I hear good things about Chord DACs. Interestingly, even though the price of the Naim DAC on the second-hand market is relatively high, for what in many cases is now a 10-14 year old product, it seems to be positively bargain basement in terms of cost when compared to some of the competition.
I have my eye on a couple of nDACs out there so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that.

Well I was just making a suggestion. I’m sure there are other makes to look at.

You want to recommend some, or just dump it and leave it there?

My experience of DACs is mostly limited to Chord and Naim, so I’m not the person to make specific recommendations of other brands. The idea that there are no other DACs out there worth considering seems rather far-fetched, so I was rather hoping that someone who hasn’t followed the heard might pitch in.

Thanks to all for supporting me on this journey. I tracked down a very nice 2017 example from a helpful chap in Rome. it is now plugged into my system and doing sterling work DACing the outputs from the ND5XS and CD5XS. I also used the XP5 PSU on the DAC (I think that it makes a difference). The result is that CDs played on the CD5XS have been given a new lease of life, CD rips from the Core have been elevated to a new level and everything including streaming has a greater dynamic range. Bass is a lot tighter and more open. The test piece is still Max Richter´s Sleep which has very pronounced sub-bass accents, which would test any system. If anyone wishes to listen to this, I recommend not doing so while operating heavy machinery, as it is extremely soporific! :grinning:

5 Likes

Hi Chris,
I recently discovered that you came back to Naim, with a new 300 series.
You were so enthusiastic for the Chord sound, specially the Dave.
What happened ? Something was missing ?

HI! I currently have ndac with nd5xs2, first I had a denafrips ares 12, then wanting to change I found the used naim and made the change; Everything got worse for me, I definitely have more detail but the mid and low range in the denafrips was definitely fuller and more pleasant. I’m so disappointed that I’m now listening to the nd5xs2 alone but as soon as the opportunity arises I’ll pick up the one I might have used.

Hi, yes I have sold my Dave/Étude and replaced it with 333/332/250. It wasn’t an easy decision because I really liked the Chord Dave, but looking at whole systems, the New Classic Naim system is more enjoyable to me than my NDX2/Dave/Étude, even though that was a big step up from my previous NDX2/282/250DR.
I had a big clearout of old gear I no longer used, which my dealer sold for me, so I had a large credit which covered most of the cost of the new gear.

I spent a lot of time at my dealers listening to various systems. The 200 series stuff was not good enough to persuade me to part with my Chord gear, even when I tried it with a pair of 350s, but the 333/332 was what started to make me forget about comparisons and just enjoy listening to music.

After I had made my decision, I asked my dealer to put my
Dave back onto the system between 333 and 332. It was just an afterthought, but it almost made me change my mind. The impact of adding Dave was greater here than in any system in which I had used it before, and made me question my decision to sell it. Eventually I decided to stick with my plan and bought the 333/332/250. I needed to sell my Dave to fund it, but at some point I will probably buy another one and become the first person mad enough to use a 333 as an £8k digital transport.

7 Likes

You’ll be a national treasure. The first person using the 333 as a digital transport. Hurry up and report back. LOL

Anyway enjoy your new system. I’m sure it’ll be joyful and you’ll forget about the Dave. Are you thinking about adding a PS to the 333 or 332?

1 Like

At some point I might consider adding one more box. That could be Dave (or possibly another DAC), a 300PS, or maybe replacing the 250 with a pair of 350s.

I could, of course, consider a cheaper transport if a go back to using a Chord Dave. Maybe an ND5XS2 of Naim don’t come up with a New Classic equivalent.

2 Likes

If you’re fine with Tidal CD quality files and don’t long for Qobuz, then the nDac with the ND5XS should be excellent. I run an NDS with interim non-Naim PSs and Tidal 16/44.1 and it’s very good. Hi-res files would begin to cause dropouts on the legacy equipment due ro the smaller buffer, but the 16/44.1 are fine and SQ is excellent.
I’d go with the PSs that @ChrisSU recommended and try to afford the 555PSdr or non-dr if possible. I believe that the PSs will provide much more of an SQ lift than hi-res files would anyway.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

1 Like

Your second step will be Dave/333/ 332/ 250 then Dave/ 333 / Chord Ultima pre and power amp :joy:
Then Nait 50 :joy:

I am kidding today. Enjoy your new system :+1:

I couldn’t cope with those big Chord Ultima boxes! I did consider the Ultima integrated, but even that is big enough to be hanging out of the back of my rack.

The idea of a simple little Nait 50 is very appealing, but my speakers need some power so I don’t think it would work for me.

1 Like

The NDX2 makes a fine transport, can’t see why the 333 wouldn’t!

:laughing:

2 Likes