ND5XS and nDAC

Thanks for that. I am actually generally quite happy with Tidal quality and I am not convinced that I would notice that much of an improvement moving over to Qoobuz. However, I wouldn’t mind giving it a try for comparison. The issue, as we all know is that not all audio files are created equal, no matter the resolution. What is nice is that my CD collection on the Core sounds so much better via the DAC. For that alone, it was worth the price of entry. Once funds allow, I may start looking around for an XPS and then either move the XP5 on or back to the ND5XS.
I am concerned about the comment regarding dropouts caused by higher resolution files as this does affect future upgrades as bit rates will always trend upwards. I guess that we are all OK for now but I will look into this.

1 Like

How is your ND5 XS connected to your network - wired or wifi? From my experience, it’s the ND5 XS’s wifi that is its weak spot. I have this streamer (and, as mentioned somewhere near the top of this thread, a NDAC + non-Naim PSU). It was connected wirelessly to my network (a Google wifi mesh) - which worked perfectly well streaming CD rips from my NAS and 16/44 from Tidal. I decided to try the accepted workaround for the 1st Gen streamers’ inability to stream hires from the internet by installing Bubblesoft server on my NAS and setting up an OpenHome renderer for the ND5. But, even with Bubblesoft handling the flow between Tidal and my network, I was unable to play hires streams without dropouts. It seems (to me) that the ND5’s wifi module simply can’t handle hires streams. Fortunately, the Google wifi boxes have an ethernet port which allows you to connect to them by wire. So I moved the Google box that talks to the ND5 a bit closer to the hifi and connected it to the ND5 by cable. So now Tidal comes into the house through my Sky router. That connects to the “master” Google mesh box - which talks wirelessly at warp speed to the “remote” Google mesh box which is connected by ethernet cable to the ND5. Result - perfect hires (24/196) playback. I don’t need Bubblesoft server. I can use either mConnect or Bubble UPnP (on my Android phone) to control things. And, as far as I can make out, neither of these options involves playing the stream via the phone. I can play music, power the phone off completely, and the music keeps playing. Alas, the Naim app seems to be incapable of streaming hires versions of anything - using it, I only ever get 16/44 playback.

1 Like

Indeed, Naim’s 1st gen streamers have poor WiFi performance, but also were originally designed to stream only 16/44.1, and that is all the original models would support when released. At the time, ripping CDs and playing lossy iTunes downloads was all the rage, and these were well supported.
With hindsight, I dare say Naim regretted that they hadn’t anticipated the rise of both web based streaming services and high res (24 bit) files, and it did take them rather a long time to develop a platform that was designed to accommodate them.

1 Like

Very fortunately, I have never experienced any real connection issues with the ND5XS. It is placed around 20 ft from the main router and my Core is connected via Ethernet. Having said that, I am not sure that I have ever put it through its 24bit paces. I stream the ocasional hi-res file via Tidal without obvious problems. Perhaps as it’s a 2017 model, Naim had ironed out these connectivity issues.

You can’t stream hires Tidal with your Nd5xs, only 16/44 ones.

You can. I am doing so. Not via WiFi - I agree that doesn’t work - but via ethernet it is solid. Maybe it’s necessary to have a fast internet connection. Mine is now “fibre to the premises”. Naim say the ND5 XS does 24/192 and, with the right wires in place, I agree.

1 Like

You don’t need a fast internet connection to stream 24 bit files, but as previously discussed, you can’t do it to a 1st gen Naim streamer. You have to stream to a separate device which buffers the stream and sends it to your streamer as if it was a local stream, which I presume is what you are doing?

Nope. I do have Bubblesoft Server installed on my NAS because that has been the generally accepted workaround. But I’m not using it. Since connecting my streamer by ethernet cable, rather than WiFi, I can stream directly from Tidal at 24/192 using either mConnect or Bubble UPnP as the controller.

I really hope your surname is Hanger :slight_smile:

5 Likes

BTW my ND5XS is giving great service in sys 2 … outputting to NDAC, streaming flawlessly from U/Serve via wifi and sounding amazing through my 82/180/HC - ML Montis.

The issue Chris is talking about is nothing to do with WiFi or Ethernet, it’s latency on the internet route from the Tidal (or whoever’s) server to your home. Generally what happens is that the hi res signal is sent as a series of bursts with the streamer confirming it received them ok. Any delay means that the tiny buffer in the ND5 XS empties and you get a break or pause. So in general there will be many such pauses which is very annoying. The new streamers have large buffers and so you don’t get this problem.

If you happen to live quite close to the server location, it could well be that you don’t see this latency problem. But the fact it works fine today says nothing about how it will be tomorrow or next week or next month.

I understand now. Is it rock solid using Mconnect ? Do you have some freezes or drops out ?

1 Like

I guess your max budget doesn’t go towards audio but speeding fine?

I think I’m slow today for sure … not quite getting your (4 wheel) drift?

As you made a joke on @CliffH avatar, saying his surname is Hanger, I made a joke too on yours , Crazy driver.

2 Likes

Crazy driver :slight_smile: … not since my teenage karting escapades !

1 Like

@Harleyandy
Great to read it worked out for you.
@daddycool may also be interested in your use of ND5 XS2 + nDAC + psu XP5 XS.

Good luck & happy listening.
R

1 Like

Yes David - I know all that. That’s why I originally installed Bubblesoft Server on my NAS. Except, since using ethernet instead of WiFi, I get no dropouts streaming hires from Tidal using mConnect. And this has been working ever since I made the switch over two months ago.

Thanks. Yes it seems to be working OK and there is definitely a tighter, more cohesive and more natural sound. In the fullness of time, I can see an upgrade to an ND5XS2 so that I can take advantage of higher resolution files as these become more prevalent and accessible.

1 Like

A postscript to my original reply. When I plugged in the nDAC to my system I used a Flashback DIN cable for the output between the nDAC and my Nait XS2 amplifier. I chose this as it arrived with the ND5XS and it looked like a better made and more substantial cable. As I reported, there was greater separation and an overall more cohesive sound. However, it was very bright with a loss of low end bass but most importantly, the volume was very low. I put this down to a lower output from the nDAC compared to the ND5XS. Yesterday I swapped the Flashback for a standard Lavender cable… What a difference! Volume increased by what seemed 25% the low bass was back and the improvement in separation, detail, etc. was all still there. That was very unexpected and a little disappointing, as I had heard good things about Flashback. Clearly, those supporters on this forum of the Naim Lavender cable have a point.

5 Likes