ND5XS2 owners

Good example. There’s nothing easier than flicking through photos on the iPad but a physical photo album slows you down and you appreciate more of what you see. Sometimes but not always music listening needs to be labour intensive

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve settled on streaming as my main source and vinyl for the ‘occasion’ of it all. I take great delight in the whole improbable nature of dragging a diamond through groves on a plastic disc to get amazing music.

Going back to the original question, I didn’t even take delivery of my ND5 XS2! The wait kept extending and I went with a Rega Planar 8 instead. Followed by a second hand NDS :grin:

1 Like

Well i think once you are up and running with a ND5 XS 2 your CD5si will gather dust. Been there done that. Never say never. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have the same interconnects for all my sources. But I’m not finding my cd5si gets less use over the ND5xs2. Yes, the streamer is always more convenient, but I don’t find the CDP any less of a good sounding machine. I’ll have to listen carefully again.

Each to their own i suppose. I was talking from a realistic perspective. There is no point in having both a CD player and Streamer as main sources together. In my system the ND5 XS 2 was better sounding than my CD5si playing the same CDs ripped bit perfect and served from my NAS. Therefore my CD5si gathered dust and quite happily i passed it down to my son who is building up his first serious system. Far more systematically friendly i think. :slightly_smiling_face:

If I know what I’d know now, I’d most likely not buy the cd5si again though. All my CDs are on the NAS now anyway. And much more convenient.
But I bought it before the ND5xs2.

1 Like

Yep that’s what i did. It’s still a great player and i thought it sounded fantastic. It’s amazing value for money for a no nonsense music making source component. Certainly a classic from Naim.

I think that’s where we differ on the use of the streamer. I would use streaming to preview music with the intention of buying what I liked in either cd or vinyl. Maybe keeping the music in my iTunes library while I made my mind up. Putting my cd collection on a nas isn’t going to happen. At the moment I do put my cds on the MacBook but that’s mainly so I can use it to transfer music to iPods and things

In that case i would use a PC laptop into a Arcam irDAC and then go for ND5 XS 2 if you feel ‘the need’ to progress further. Crickey, this really is hard work buddy. I’m truly done. Enjoy your journey. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I do both. All copied to the NAS as Alac via iTunes. And the physical CDs in my living room. If I like an album on Qobuz etc, I buy it. Depending on my mood, vinyl or cd. I’ve bought a lot of CDs on eBay for very little since Xmas. If I had to loose a source, it would be my cd player. Keep the streamer and TT. But, as I’ve paid for the CDP, I’ll keep it.

1 Like

I don’t think that the CD5si ever sounds better than the ND5XS2, but the streamer more often than not sounds better than the CD player especially when streaming hi res files. That’s why I’ll be selling my CD player, I just don’t see the point of two digital sources when one is never better than the other.

That was sort of what the dealer advised when I went to buy the cd5si. But at the time, I was not into buying the Naim streamer…

It wasn’t an easy decision at the time, and the ND5XS2 may have been a more ‘sensible’ choice. Still, the NDX2 keeps my options open should I change direction in future, and my dealer had an ‘open box’ NDX2 in stock at a very attractive price. Having decided to sell my 282 as well as my old NDX, I made a profit on the transaction overall, so the higher price didn’t hurt too much.
Still, I could have been happy with the ND5XS2 using the digital out, and would still recommend it as likely the best option for anyone looking for a streaming transport in more ‘normal’ circumstances than mine.

1 Like

Naim dealer shop demo and chat re: nd5xs2 :white_check_mark:
Awaiting delivery of replacement system rack and then maybe maybe systems go :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

1 Like

Exciting! I’m sure you’ll like what you find…

1 Like

Worry alert! I’ve got a hifi rack on order which has 100mm shelf height. My dealer said that was enough for nd5xs2. However I’m worried about the height of the WiFi aerials. Can anybody help. Struggling to make contact with dealer

Don’t think the aeriels will go vertical with 100mm gap. Mine were always at an angle and it worked fine on WiFi. But then again my router is in the same room and 14 feet away.

2 Likes

It’ll ship with 3 standard antennas, 2 for the WiFi and one for the Bluetooth radios. These have standard SMA connectors so if necessary you can use an alternative antenna or extender if needed. The hinge allows you to move the antenna a fair bit as well if needed.

These are the sort it ships with.

2 Likes

i would not sweat it - they will work at any angle of dangle!, better still cable it…

1 Like