nDAC not doing it for me

Yes, the mids and highs were a lot better, which was really enjoyable with classical music. As for the low end, yes it was also a tad better.

At the time I had smaller speakers not as capable as the ones I have now. Especially regarding the low end.

The nDAC is a rather special DAC. You like it or not.

If your thing is a detailed and airy presentation, then the nDAC might not be for you.

There are other options on the market : Chord or Mola Mola.

I found the ND555 being an interesting compromise : still on the Naim type of presentation (fast) and fairly capable when it comes to details retrieval and stereo image precision.

There is no such thing as a perfect music reconstruction. DACs are a bit like speakers, or even the rest, itā€™s a matter of taste.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you. Everything is subjective and a matter of taste. I like the Naim sound signature which is organic, solid, punchy and dynamic but want to add a bit top end extension and more detail. If I pick a different root and change my electronics with a different brand Iā€™m afraid I will lose this great PRaT feeling and warm dynamic sound. So, the solution might be a Naim system mixed with components from another brand (like Chord DACs) which will complement and enhance the sound and not ruin it.

This topic has been very helpful to me. I will give the nDAC another chance and try different tests and if I donā€™t like it Iā€™d better get a Chord DAC or XPS DR / 282. Iā€™m starting to build a turntable setup, so I will have another source. In this case a 282 seems like an option that would enhance the SQ of both my digital and analogue sources. Thatā€™s another food for thought.

2 Likes

Naim has a solid reputation regarding ā€œPRaTā€ which translates technically bye being fast and using feedback sparingly.

There are now other brands on the market providing that kind of ā€œPRaTā€. But each one has its own way of doing things.

If you want ā€œfastā€ , ā€œdetailedā€ and ā€œcleanā€ it has a costā€¦

1 Like

Ah, I misread euphonic for euphoric, thanks for clarifying.

Euphoric is ok. Often felt whilst listening. :innocent:

1 Like

I would highly recommend Audio Note DACs, 2.1X or above. Honestly I donā€™t understand why these arenā€™t more popular.

Because most folks here either tend to favour Chord DACs or Naim, not sure why. Thereā€™s so many other fab DACs around.

Iā€™m sure Audio Note 2.1x is great. I love my Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro fed by my NDX2. Much prefer it to the internal NDX2 DAC.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never understood why folk pay big money for a streamer/DAC like the NDX2, then ignore itā€™s own DAC. Is it the streaming platform and signal it feeds to a separate DAC superior to cheaper alternatives?

3 Likes

Because some music sounds addictive on Naim dacs. Iā€™m firmly in the Chord camp, but every now and then the Naim dacs are gorgeous. 80/20.

2 Likes

The extent to which any Naim system works well depends on keeping it on a fine knife edge. My system needs the mains plugs removing and plugging in every few months otherwise the sound looses it edge or as others have said the speed/PRaT diminishes. Getting it there to begin took me a while.

The nDAC is a fine DAC and deserves the 555 power supply. It is just one part of the system.

Phil

1 Like

I think Simon in Suffolk has summed it up well on another thread. I agree that the NDX2 working in digital output transport mode is truly stellar. I am not as fond of its analogue output either.

Each to their own but I really enjoy the digital transport of the NDX2 compared to itā€™s internal DAC. Itā€™s a great pairing as a transport with the Matrix Sabre Pro DAC.

2 Likes

I saw in another post one fellow uses his NDX2 for some types of music and his Hugo2 for others.

1 Like

I hope itā€™s fine using a XPSDR as they are a little easier to find than the 555PS (In my neck of the woods). Not as expensive either.

Some kind of dark arts going on :grin:, what is this sorcery you speak of unplugging and plugging , I may upset a few people if they catch me plugging and unplugging, they may think this lockdown has got to me.

1 Like

I will try this, but Iā€™ll make sure Iā€™m alone :grin:

I did use XPSDR for a year or so before getting hold of a demo 555DR. Never heard the non DR version on the nDAC, but Iā€™m sure SiS knows his stuff.

I have a total aversion to splashing out on the ND5555. Good luck.

Phil

1 Like

I use the nDAC with an XP5XS and am very happy with it as a combination (into a SN3). i would characterise the sound as solid and with an analogue feel. Both items were ex-dem and I feel that it is a good option for the cost. As I understand it, external PSUā€™s for the NDAC power only the analogue sections rather than the whole player, perhaps this suits the XP5XS better than other applications where it has to power the whole device

3 Likes

Thanks and good to know. XP5XS is also very hard to find, however ā€œI do know a guyā€, so itā€™s possible if he ships it to my country. I could use the savings for a TT or something elseā€¦

I have had an nDAC since new and when the XP5XS came out a year or so later I added that and was happy I did as it improved things nicely. The uplift justified the fairly modest (relative) cost. I chopped in the XP5XS for a new 555PSDR during the first lockdown last year without a demo as I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. At five times the cost I wondered whether it would be five times better and I knew if I really had not been happy my dealer would have taken it back. Well there was no danger of that and to me it was worth every penny. The nDAC is the only black box that I have not changed in the last 9 years and I cant see it going anywhere. It definitely sounds better with a power supply and naim usefully give you the choice of three at different price points to suit enthusiasm and budget

5 Likes

Wonderful news @DONUT I really appreciate hearing this. I may look into this and if I can trade it in later for a 555PSDr all the better. I hear you as I really like the nDAC as well. Suits my tastes just fine and honestly using the EE8Switch and the latest firmware has just opened things up further. My apologies to the OP that the nDAC doesnā€™t do it for him and for hijacking the thread.