nDAC with 555PS DR or 555PS

After having my nDAC/555PS-DR combo for 11 years, a chance came to get a second hand 555 non DR from 2006. After being serviced it finally arrived and had replaced its younger brother……forever!

5 Likes

Interesting… can you explain the difference you perceived switching from DR to non DR?

1 Like

Hmmm, that is difficult for me, i am not very good at this, but let me try. More natural sound, flowing effortlessly. Less listening fatigue. There is also something else. When playing guitar, classical or electric, the DR somehow over-amplifies the front/attack of the signal. Initially this may sound like more depth, but is not natural (i used to play classical guitar for some years).

5 Likes

I agree the non DR is much better in musicality ,groove and balance in the sound.

4 Likes

Everytime DR or not comes up it to me seems like DR is technically better but non DR is the long term winner focusing more on music and keeping it together more than anything else. It’s pretty often you read about people fighting DR and really want it to be great. I never read about fights with non DR :man_shrugging:

I wonder how my NDS would sound with a non DR 555PS.

2 Likes

i would consider buying an NDS, use none dr on the analogue side and dr on the digital side…its a cracking combo! makes me wonder how much better an nd555 would be…i bet its not that much better with one psu.

2 Likes

if you have a dr on your nds, if you can try a none dr on the analogue side…its ultra spesh (im sort of repeating myself on this post i know)

2 Likes

Oh no not again. Must resist more boxes! :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

mate honestly…for the price, get another box…its only one moreeeeeee!haha

Just had a look at your system…you got loadsssss of boxes, youll hardly notice

1 Like

is this the same with say supercap and 552 i wonder?

I have non DR 552 and 500 + NDS-555PSDR and it sounds amazing. A non DR 555PS for the analogue side would be…fun. I will still always be behind @drago in number of boxes.

1 Like

would love a 552/500, i have a dr 300 and supercap dr so im not sure what the difference might be. and its the same amount of boxes!

As I am coming from non dr olive I can understand the topic.
DR is much more powerful - and sometimes harder on the edges.
ND555 is not capable of running non DR i think?
Should I go for 500 non dr… ? Think not!

Is non-DR always this different - I only read about non-DR being better on nDAC. Is this the same with all others - highly unlikely!

1 Like

Same question here! Is it?

its an interesting one i think, technically wont be as good but…still be good?

Yes I’m not a big fan of DR.

1 Like

:rofl:
That’s what I thought… wait until I will go active… no - space is full

1 Like

i do remember having ran my nds on 555 none dr for ages, when the dr came i tried both way round and much prefered the none dr on analogue, it was a bit tricky because it took a good week to settle down so i had to be patient to play around with it

1 Like

Will this (non-dr on analogue side) also work for nd555?

Yes

1 Like