NDS and LP12

Your problem OP is the Urika1, it’s awful. I fitted one to my LP12/Karousel/Kore/Radical/Ekos1 and I can’t wait to remove it now and go back to the Superline.

Kore and Ekos1 would be worthwhile if coming from a standard sub and something like an Akito or Basik +.

I rather like mine…

3 Likes

Indeed that feature was a year ago and I will get Philip to update the information on that posting if it reads incorrectly after the bank holiday

Naturally everyone has a right to an opinion but A/B comparisons for the individual are always the best way to come to a conclusion and your assertion is not borne out by the facts but there are strong advocates for both the final stages you refer to.

As do I !

1 Like

Peter, as I read it, and see my screenshot above, your website is perfectly fine. It’s very clear that the Karousel will fit any age of LP12.

2 Likes

Has something changed with the Karousel now? It certainly didn’t fit my pre-Cirkus sub chassis, which needed to be changed when I had mine fitted?

1 Like

Apparently so, according to @Cymbiosis . There is now a spacing washer included/available to allow Karousel fitting to a pre-Cirkus sub-chassis, we are told.

Thats what confused me… :thinking:

1 Like

Yes it is necessary to use the spacing washer which is manufactured by Linn Products Ltd for this exact purpose Part No: MISS 894 Sub-chassis spacer.

1 Like

It is available, not included, as its application is only for the pre-Cirkus sub-chassis.
In fairness I was surprised that such a product was available from the factory for this purpose but having researched it thoroughly, according to the factory it’s perfectly fine to use and of course it allows people to upgrade to a Karousel without the necessary need for changing the sub chassis with the extra cost that this implies. This can now be delayed until or if the next upgrade is planned.
KR, Peter
P.S.this upgrade may not be known about by your Linn retailer, so anyone considering this possible upgrade should quote the part number I posted earlier as this will save a lot of confusion/surprise! :joy:

4 Likes

I am just getting back to this thread and while reading I am glad Peter was able to support his decision and explain his thought process.

Scott

I guess the thing is that I question is why go for Radikal and Urika and Karousel before upgrading sub chassis to Kore or Keel? I was advised by Audio T that sub chassis upgrade should be done first off with a Cirkus and of course getting the tone arm up to a good spec.

What do you recommend in order of upgrades for LP12s, as it would be really useful for everyone on the forum?

The OP has a highly specced LP12 apart from the sub chassis.

So is Karousel more important than upgrading the sub chassis? Is a Radikal and Urika going to bring a bigger improvement than a Kore or Keel?

Of course this is all subjective. I have had many LP upgrades including Cirkus, Lingo 1, Kore and tonearm upgrade by Audio Origami. Where is the money best spent for me? Thinking Radikal next then Urika.

Many thanks,

Dan

Thanks

Hi Dan,

This is to do with my decisions, I was only
going to make a few changes but…while my LP12 was being serviced I saw an ex-demo Urika for sale on the Cymbisios site and at the same time decided on a better cartridge.

If I saw a Kore/Keel I might have gone this route, so while I might not have followed the standard Linn hierarchy approach it will all get addressed in time.

This is a similar approach a lot of us make on our Naim systems but we all get there in the end.

I can report back to everyone that my LP12 is sounding fantastic, discovered some real gems in my back catalogue and surprised that the majority are in great condition.

4 Likes

Bear in mind there are cost savings if you purchase Radikal and Urika together.

Assuming you are buying new, of course.

1 Like

According to Linn hierarchy I upgraded out of order slightly by upgrading to a Kore/Karousel before the Lingo 4. Later on a used Lingo 4 appeared at a great price from my dealer.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dan I have seen your post and I will reply with some ideas of my own when I get time. As you can imagine at the moment it is a particularly busy time for most if not all Naim Retailers thankfully.
KR, Peter

2 Likes

I look forward to any suggestions on improving my LP12.

Many thanks,

Dan

Yes will do when I get time. I’m in Shropshire today :+1:t2:

Lots of things to cover Dan but firstly you may have come across the generally accepted hierarchy of importance regarding the components within the LP12.
This is 1) Bearing. 2) Power Supply. 3) Sub-chassis. 4) Arm. 5) Cartridge. Some may disagree as it appears counterintuitive and that is fine and up to them and I’m not going to dwell on this for the purpose of this reply.

So, the Karousel followed by the Radikal is the way I would recommend you move forward.
Why? Well in addition to the hierarchy approach as shown above, there are some important points which are relevant to you.
You mentioned that you found a softer/warmer presentation preferable. Well, some found the Cirkus much more detailed and musical than pre-cirkus but less enjoyable to listen to. Personally, I didn’t but I can appreciate these sentiments. The Karousel exhibits none of these traits. It’s more musical for sure, more musically informative, a much lower noise floor as compared to the Cirkus is a revelation IMHO and it’s presentation is more neutral, balanced and real than the Cirkus in my opinion.

The Radikal again lowers the noise floor (no magnetic field surrounding the motor unlike an AC motor) and with the clever control of the stability of the speed it’s so much better than any Lingo. So these are the two most important/big upgrades you could make.

Sub-chassis? Yes, I note you found the Kore a little brighter/more forward and yes when compared to a Keel, this is so. Plus so much information is lost when comparing to a Keel. It is an easy A/B when the time is right.
However, you have an Akito. AO improved or not, you will struggle to mount this on a Keel if you wish to retain the lift/lower device! Actually with a little jiggling it is possible to keep the lift/lower device with a DV10X5 but only just! Any cartridge with a shallower body would mean the lift/lower would have to be removed as there is no cut out in the Keel machined collar to allow it to remain. Can you live without a lift/lower device for a while until you upgrade the arm to a Keel compatible arm like an Ekos or PU7 for example?
You most certainly would need to change the 10X5 if you were to use a Urika as it works with low output MC cartridges not high output ones! So, you may agree that in this case you are better of upgrading the arm first before the sub-chassis. As with many things, there is theory and there’s practice…
Once you have a suitable arm you could then consider the sub-chassis again and then after that the cartridge so it could work with the phono stage you prefer in the longer term.

I hope the above makes sense for you upgrading in the future.

BTW. the OP will have a better sub-chassis in the future for sure, but by using the spacer it meant he could use his existing sub-chassis for effectively nothing. A short term upgrade to a Kore only to be replaced by a Keel was wasteful of his finances that were put to better use elsewhere. Advice is just so important whether with an LP12 or your Naim kit. Official retailers will always do their very best with their advice. KR, Peter

9 Likes

I can certainly confirm Karsouel is a huge step up from Cirkus, on other forums I use the Cirkus is superb the karsouel is extraodinary

on PSU I moved from Lingo 4 which is a lovely PSU and offers lot’s of music, Radikal is on other level

1 Like