NDS - Setting up BubbleUPnP Server/Audirvana

Thanks for reopening Richard.

@simon.pepper, @Guinnless, @ElMarko

So I haven’t given up and I believe I now have the BubbleUPnP server working.

Kazoo

If I untick the ‘Create an OpenHome renderer’ box in BubbleUPnP Sever then the NDS-OFCD room immediately dissapears in Kazoo, and as soon as I tick it then it reappears.

Same in LUMIN

All looking good so far?

1 Like

It sounds like you have it. I’m not familiar with Lumin so not sure what that should look like. You want to confirm you’re streaming in WAV and you should be good and it should sound pretty good.

1 Like

Trouble is I can’t get anything to play from Kazoo. I press play and nothing happens. Same with LUMIN :tired_face:

Should I see it in the Naim app when I select the UPnP input? When I select it it just continually searches.

I’ve checked to ensure the UPnP input is enabled on the NDS.

Have you tried just playing an album rather than a play list?

Yes I’ve tried that and nothing. I press the play arrow and it’s as if I haven’t pressed it. Nothing happens at all, no response on the app or the NDS

So you can log into your Qobuz account in Kazoo and see your playlists and favorites? I’m using a bubble soft container on my QNAP so I don’t have the bubblesoft settings page to which refer. Maybe someone can throw up a screen grab of what your settings should look like. I’ll see if I can dig them up in my old thread. You shouldn’t have to do anything in the Naim app for it to work with Kazoo.

Here’s my old thread if you have the time. Explains the issues I had with ffmpeg on my QNAP. I can’t recall what NAS you have. Downloading a bubblesoft container may be a solution for you, it just works.

1 Like

How odd. Your config looks fine so I’m not sure what is wrong.

2 Likes

I just dont understand why you wouldnt just get a little streamer or, raspberry pi or something, does the NDS not have an input?

I don’t have a Qubuz account but I’m logged into Tidal and yes can see playlists etc

Thanks I’ll read the thread later.

OK I’ll give it a try.

I tried my Bluesound as transport into the NDS but there was a noticeable drop in SQ.

I am considering the Raspberyy Pi route but I wanted to test it on my laptop first.

I dont have a node but there are a terrific amount of options out there. If you want to imagine it sounds better try a mac mini :slight_smile:

1 Like

To simplify matters try turning off the audio decoding option and see if that works. This will hopefully work and prove that the issue is with decoding. If this works you will then see FLAC going to the streamer.

What are you rnning the server on?

3 Likes

As an experiment tried a Pi with a Digi HAT and it wasn’t a patch on my ND5XS doing the same job into my nDAC.

1 Like

I’ve just installed BubbleUPNP server on my Windows 11 PC, set the Media Renderer up the same as @Stu299, installed Kazoo on an Android emulator and successfully played QoBuz to my NDS.

I’m wondering if a firewall is getting in the way. If running on Windows try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if that resolves it.

3 Likes

If it was passing through the 5x how do you account for that it’s just passing the bits like a upnp server would do?

Nothing passing ‘through’ the ND5. UPnP passes bits very differently to S/PDIF.

It was a comparison between
ND5XS → nDAC
&
Pi/Digi HAT → nDAC

I’m running the server on Windows 11 also and everything is bang up to date.

Only difference is I’m using Tidal and Kazoo is on my iPhone.

I did try disabling the Windows firewall before without success. I’ll try again tonight and also try turning off decoding.

I see Qobuz do a free trial so I could also try that.

Thanks all for your input, it’s greatly appreciated. I’m determined to get this working because Tidal is horrendous lately on the Naim app. ‘Can’t play’ error, drop outs, losing the room (in more ways than one!).

2 Likes

+1 for Audirvana. I always found Bubble UPnP overly fiddly with too many boxes to check / uncheck. Definitely tested my definition of ‘plug & play’.

Early versions of Audirvana Studio were glitchy but AS / Qobuz now runs pretty smoothly on my NDS (via Mac Mini).

1 Like

The big reason I switched from Tidal to Qobuz was b/c of issues I was having getting logged in and playing using bubblesoft. Qobuz just worked better and the SQ was a huge improvement over Tidal in my system in the states. My problems with Tidal started when they changed their oauth authentication. PS - I never got on with audirvana either, didn’t want to be on a computer when I’m playing music. Bubblesoft can be a lift to get going but once it’s working it’s generally problem free.

1 Like