NDS - Setting up BubbleUPnP Server/Audirvana

Is your NDS using DHCP i.e. you haven’t set a static IP address?

Failing that a factory reset.

Maybe @NeilS can advise here.

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying on DHCP but the problems don’t happen on radio. I might try my daughter’s Spotify login to compare.

I have raised this before and I think it was @NeilS who was very helpful with suggestions but I’ve tried everything including reinstalling Tidal, changing my passwords, altering app and router settings etc

A Raspberry Pi sounds the simplest option and if it improves SQ then that’s a big bonus.

If anyone could chip in with a parts list (hardware and software) and some basic step by step instructions for Raspberry Pi set up I’d be eternally grateful. Or point me to the right thread.

I’m reasonably technically minded normally but all the acronyms and variations is confusing the life out of me :crazy_face:

Yes, I run the Roon Core on a dedicated NUC and have the SonoreUPnP Bridge running on another device. Plus there is some software licensing for the Roon software.

But compared to the expensive of the NDS and 555DR, these are just extras, and they give the NDS/555DR such a revitalisation that an upgrade to ND555 isn’t required.
It makes the Network Player current with the latest streaming software.

I keep asking has anyone compared a NDS/555DR with input from Roon in WAV, against an ND555/555DR with input via the inbuilt Roon implementation.
(Naim only demos the ND555/555DR using a UPnP input from a Naim UnitiCore)

If you want the cheapest option, sure try BubbleUPnP etc.
If you want the best ‘value for money’ option for your NDS/555DR then ‘Roonify’ it, IMO.

4 Likes

Would you say the Roon option improves SQ over the Raspberry Pi? Over and above the enhanced functionality of course.

Also what device are you using for the bridge? I’m just trying to cost up the two options.

Many thanks

I don’t know.

I have used a RaspberryPi to run Asset UPnP since its release - initially a Raspberry Pi B and currently a Pi2 (so that ages it to 2015).

I started using a SonoreUPnP Bridge for Roon back in 2016 or so, as I had been using Roon to manage my Music Library since its Beta in 2015.

On the RPi2 I have a version of the LMStoUPNP Bridge running, as a backup. But you need some Linux experience to build & commission a RPi.

Can I suggest you look to a SonicTransporter from Small Green Computer (sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3) – Small Green Computer) this can run the Roon Core and the SonoreUPnP Bridge all in one, and provide a simple point and click GUI to setup and manage.
These can be obtained via Martin in the UK at Audiostore Shop

2 Likes

Thanks Simon that sounds ideal. So is the Sonic Transport plug and play? Just connect to my network switch, set up on GUI, and I’m away?

There is some configuration for Roon - setting the music folder discovery paths, entering Tidal account details, setting up the endpoints.
On the SonoreUPnP, it needs to discover the NDS as the target for the UPnP stream (it is a push to the NDS rather than a pull from a UPnP server).

But I think it is as close to pull/play as you can get.

Plus there is a Roon Trial for 60-days to see how you like it.

Check out the ‘2nd user’ SonicTransporter i7 with 1TB SSD, more powerful than the i5, plus a nicer case for the same cost as the i5 and 1TB SSD Audiostore Shop

2 Likes

I found Bubble Vs Roon SQ to be pretty much the same.

The interface on Roon is very easy and natural to use compared to the Naim App.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with using Tidal & don’t have any tried and tested solutions to suggest.
However, I had an issue with the Spotify app being unable to “see” my Qute, but Gen1 Mu-so & Qb were fine. I tried all manor of router setting tweaks to no avail. That was a BT FTTC router. When I changed to FTTP & used the ISP provided Technicolor router the problem vanished.
So I’d try what @garyi suggested and try a different router before anything else.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Because it was quick and easy to do I’ve just tried my node into the NDS DAC.

I can quickly switch between the two on the same tracks so a direct compairson.

The music sounds flat and lifeless with the Node versus NDS on board streamer.

I should point out I love the Node through my 42/110/ATC11 so I’m not knocking it. It’s not really surprising that the NDS onboard streamer is different class.

2 Likes

Another forum member wasn’t impressed with the Node either so I’m not overly surprised.
The NDS is a top notch streamer. I had the fortune to attend a Naim dem at a dealers when the ND555 was released, the 555 was better but the NDS never sounded broken, this was with a 500 based system.

The setup and annual cost of Roon compared to an ND555 is very low. Whilst the Naim App works for playing music it’s like using a tiller instead of a steering wheel compared to Roon

2 Likes

I think the SonicTransporter is the way for me to go. A nice simple all in one box solution. And it may well add decades to the life of my much loved NDS :blush:

3 Likes

What also struck me is the loss of slam and PRAT just by swapping out the transport. Naim’s ethos and signature does run very deep into every aspect of their products it seems.

2 Likes

Well that’s overkill for what you need but if that’s what you want. I still think RPi with bubblesoft is the easier more practical and beneficial to SQ for you considering you have no local music library.

I will look into both options :+1:

Just a bit concerned I won’t have a clue what to do with the Pi when it arrives.

Try Qobuz?

No native Qobuz on NDS sadly

I’m not particularly tech savy and was able to figure out from the contributions of others here. You only need to learn enough to boot up the RPi, install the Bubblesoft app, and select your settings. After that it just sits there on your network. Low cost low fuss and great SQ. You haven’t heard your NDS yet, trust me. And you can use bubblesoft for Qobuz if you go that route at some point.

If you decide to go the bubblesoft route I can try and dig up some threads on the setup.

There’s guidance on Bubble’s own website as well as on here from old topics.

You could even install Bubble on an old Windows laptop. My Lenovo laptop runs Bubble and Roon and is very energy efficient - in fact I was quite surprised how little it used when I left it plugged into my energy monitor :astonished::slightly_smiling_face:

Setting up Bubble on windows is a doddle. :slightly_smiling_face: